Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECNL changing Birth Year Rules?

I’m hearing ECNL is talking about a possible switch up from Birth year to some type of birth year/school year hybrid?

kids will have the option to play graduation year U16-U19.
    U13-15 would be Birth year with allocated spots for players who fall under the trapped player category to play full time.

has anyone heard anything regarding a change at all?

I’ve heard something is on the horizon that will help with trapped players but nothing set in stone.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
      I’m hearing ECNL is talking about a possible switch up from Birth year to some type of birth year/school year hybrid?

kids will have the option to play graduation year U16-U19.
      U13-15 would be Birth year with allocated spots for players who fall under the trapped player category to play full time.

has anyone heard anything regarding a change at all?
      Is this an ECNL decision or US Soccer?

Comment

Is this an ECNL decision or US Soccer?
        That I do not know. The way is was told to me was an ECNL decision but doesn’t want to go straight birth year without US soccer backing but wants to get away from trapped players.

Comment

I’ve talked with a club director who said it was a possibility but not a done deal for 25/26 season.

Comment

That would make sense kids should be competing against who they will graduate with. Doesn’t make sense for college recruiting to mix kids from different grades. If we are talking about being most efficient in evaluating players.

Comment

These kids eventually will be grouped together at U19 it makes sense to just start at U13.

Comment

These kids eventually will be grouped together at U19 it makes sense to just start at U13.
                I agree, just start with the U13 age group and move forward from there, no reason to realign teams that have been together for 4-5 years this late in the game.

Comment

We will hear a decision on this early 2025. Sounds like they are prioritizing the older kids U15-U19 for 25/26. But are working with US soccer to potentially go back to School year model 26/27 season.

Comment

Why would ECNL switch back when teams are already established? That will just mess everything up.

Comment

They can’t change things without US soccer. So nothing will happen. Fake news!

Comment

They can’t change things without US soccer. So nothing will happen. Fake news!
                        I’m hearing there is a strong possibility a change is made for next year.

Comment

This is great! It makes more sense to compete with kids in your same grade anyways.

Comment

I’m hearing there is a strong possibility a change is made for next year.
                            There is a thread on the MA board that is quite extensive about this. Two groups arguing for or against the change. But nobody has facts that a change is coming or imminent.

Comment

School year makes the most sense if we are talking about kids competing for collage scholarships or wanting to play with their friends from school. Players should be evaluated amongst their grade level not with kids in different grad years. If parents hold their kids back which some will do most will not who really cares. You’re talking about probably less than 1% of kids. Most schools will not allow holdbacks anyways. Unless it is a justifiable reason so the kid probably needed it anyways.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X