Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Liga MX Femenil, Apertura Week 17: Playoff field set, Maricarmen Reyes wins Golden Boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liga MX Femenil, Apertura Week 17: Playoff field set, Maricarmen Reyes wins Golden Boot

The Liguilla for Liga MX Femenil’s 2023 Apertura season has been set.

UNAM Pumas clinched the eighth and final spot in the playoffs with a convincing 2-0 victory in the regular season finale against FC Juárez. Meanwhile, after a stellar season last year, Juárez missed the playoffs, needing a win or a tie against Pumas.

To add insult to injury, FC Juárez was at their home field.

Mónica Monsiváis, the former C.F. Monterrey attacker, scored in the opening two minutes of the match, finding herself wide open inside the box.

FC Juárez were able to keep Pumas scoreless for the remainder of the first half, going into the locker room down by one. However, early in the second half, Aerial Chavarin gave Pumas their second tally. Chavarin scored off a world-class strike inside the box, taking the ball herself and slicing between three defenders.

Both teams finished with 26 points on the table, but Pumas advanced on goal differential, with a +10 GD compared to the Juárez +5 GD.

Maricarmen Reyes wins Golden Boot

Maricarmen Reyes became the first Mexican-American to win the Golden Boot, narrowly edging out Alicia Cervantes for the honor.

Reyes was born in the United States but isn’t the first U.S.-born player to win the award. That was her former teammate — both at Tigres and in college at UCLA — Mia Fishel.

Reyes and Cervantes finished with 15 goals apiece, but Reyes needed fewer minutes to do so. Reyes featured in 1,189 minutes during the Apertura regular season, while Cervantes totaled 1,398 minutes.

Reyes spoke with The Equalizer a few days before the final regular-season contest against Necaxa — where she scored in the 45th minute off a nutmeg on the goalkeeper. Reyes said she wanted to win the Golden Boot against a decorated player like Cervantes.

“I’m happy that I was able to score as many goals as I did,” Reyes said to The Equalizer. “I didn’t think that was going to happen. I’m usually lower on the field, in the midfield, but this season I started playing the No. 9. The most important thing is being in the Liguilla, and getting ready for that. If the golden boot comes, then that would be great.”

Reyes and Tigres will open up the Liguilla against Pumas. Tigres won the top spot on the Apertura table with 44 points.

Other Apertura Week 17 Scores

• Necaxa 1-3 Tigres
    • Club León 1-1 Atlas
    • Chivas de Guadalajara 3-0 Pachuca
    • C.F. Monterrey 2-1 Club América
    • FC Juárez 0-2 UNAM Pumas
    • Cruz Azul 6-0 Santos Laguna
    • Puebla 1-3 Club Tijuana
    • Atlético San Luis 0-1 Toluca
    • Querétaro 0-0 Mazatlán

Liga MX Femenil Apertura 2023 Table | Week 17

NOTE: The top eight teams in Liga MX Femenil will qualify for the Liguilla, which are the playoffs.

UANL Tigres 12 2 0 7 39 38
    Club América 12 0 2 19 35 36
    Chivas de Guadalajara 10 3 1 10 25 33
    C.F. Monterrey 8 5 1 10 23 29
    Club Tijuana 8 4 2 16 10 28
    Pachuca 7 2 5 26 12 23
    Toluca 6 3 5 26 -3 21
    Club León 7 0 7 26 -9 21
    UNAM Pumas 6 2 6 23 8 20
    FC Juárez 5 5 4 21 2 20
    Querétaro 6 1 7 23 0 19
    Cruz Azul 6 1 7 23 -7 19
    AtlasFC Juárez 4 2 8 29 -12 14
    Atlético San Luis 3 3 8 28 -12 12
    Puebla 3 2 9 30 -17 11
    Necaxa 2 2 10 37 -29 8
    Santos Laguna 0 4 10 39 -29 4
    Mazatlán 0 1 13 44 -36 1

Want even more women’s sports coverage?

Subscribers to The Equalizer save 50% on their subscription to our partner publication, The IX. This newsletter has experts covering the latest news in women’s soccer, tennis, basketball, golf, hockey and gymnastics. Each sport has its own day, which means you’ll receive The IX in your inbox six days a week.

Subscribe to The IX

Looking Ahead: Apertura 2023 Liguilla | Quarterfinals

Leg 1

Thursday, Nov. 9: Toluca vs. Chivas de Guadalajara at 6 PM

Thursday, Nov. 9: Pachuca vs. Club América at 10:06 PM

Friday, Nov. 10: Club Tijuana vs. C.F. Monterrey at 7:06 PM

Friday, Nov. 10: UNAM Pumas vs. UANL Tigres at 9 PM

Leg 2

Sunday, Nov. 12: Club América vs. Pachuca at 1 PM

Sunday, Nov. 12: Chivas de Guadalajara at 10:06 PM

Monday, Nov. 13: UANL Tigres vs. UNAM Pumas at 8 PM

Monday, Nov. 13: C.F. Monterrey vs. Club Tijuana at 10:05 PM