Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maricarmen Reyes is turning dreams into reality with Tigres, eyeing Liga MX golden boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maricarmen Reyes is turning dreams into reality with Tigres, eyeing Liga MX golden boot

Maricarmen Reyes had to pause and think for a moment. The Tigres striker was reflecting on the 2023 calendar year, her first as a professional athlete.

“Three words to describe my first year as a pro? Adapting, blessed and growth,” she said.

Reyes, a former collegiate standout at UCLA, elected to sign in Mexico with Liga MX Femenil club Tigres in January. The California-native said that adapting comes through being in a new location, she is blessed for the opportunity to be a professional athlete, and finally, the last 10 months have been all about growth.

“I think I’m growing a lot as a player and person, being away from home,” Reyes told The Equalizer. “There are different challenges, obviously. Adjusting to a new team and a new league is something that I’m working on still. I’m excited to keep doing it.”

Reyes has been adjusting well. The 23-year-old has scored a whopping 14 goals in 14 matches, helping Tigres earn another berth in the Liguilla (playoffs). Currently, she is second in the Golden Boot race to Chivas striker Alicia Cervantes, who has tallied 15 goals. However, on Friday night, Reyes and Tigres – currently in second-place – take on 16th-place side Necaxa, giving Reyes the chance she needs to score two goals and surpass Cervantes. Chivas, who sit in third, have a tougher task, with sixth-place Pachuca coming to town.

The Golden Boot isn’t a far-fetched dream for the young Mexican-American.

Access the best women’s soccer coverage all year long

Start your FREE, 7-day trial of The Equalizer Extra for industry-leading reporting and insight on the USWNT, NWSL and beyond.

Subscribe

Existing Users Sign In Here

More...
Working...
X