Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

‘She’s gonna show up unapologetically herself’: Rapinoe’s legacy through the eyes of her teammates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

‘She’s gonna show up unapologetically herself’: Rapinoe’s legacy through the eyes of her teammates

If one thing became clear after Megan Rapinoe announced on Saturday that she would be retiring at the end of this year, it is that nearly everyone has a Rapinoe story. There are countless fans whose love of the game was sparked by the legendary player or who found strength in her confidence, but what some may not realize is that she makes her teammates feel the exact same way.

Ahead of her last major international tournament, The Equalizer spoke exclusively with Rapinoe’s current OL Reign teammates about her inclusion on the U.S. World Cup squad and what makes her so special.

As players were wrapping up practice on a sunny Tuesday afternoon in Seattle many were more than happy to talk about their teammate. First to come over were defenders Sam Hiatt and Alana Cook along with reserve goalkeeper Laurel Ivory. After a few moments of debating who should start, Ivory began gushing about Rapinoe.

“I can’t say enough good things about her. Since the moment I came onto this team as a rookie she just welcomed me in with open arms. She leads with such confidence, and leads with humor, and leads with just a fire. And every single day that I look at her I’m like I just want to emulate that…She’s just one of a kind. I think there truly will be only one Megan Rapinoe in this world and I’m just very, very grateful that I get to play with her,” Ivory told The Equalizer.

Access the best women’s soccer coverage all year long

Start your FREE, 7-day trial of The Equalizer Extra for industry-leading reporting and insight on the USWNT, NWSL and beyond.

Subscribe

Existing Users Sign In Here

More...
Working...
X