Maitane López inks two-year deal with Gotham FC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maitane López inks two-year deal with Gotham FC

NJ/NY Gotham FC has signed Spanish international midfielder Maitane López to a two-year contract through 2024 with an option year. López most recently played with Club Atlético de Madrid Féminas in Liga F, the Primera División de la Liga de Fútbol Femenino. She spoke exclusively with The Equalizer about her move from Spain to the National Women’s Soccer League.

“For me, it has been a dream since I was young to play abroad, especially in the United States,” López told The Equalizer. “It’s a dream and it’s the best city in the world. It’s just an honor to be here and to play for Gotham.”

López has played for 11 seasons in Liga F and scored 42 goals across multiple competitions and teams. Now, she is setting her sites on further career growth with Gotham.

“When I spoke with coach Juan Carlos Amorós, he told me how the city, the team, the players, and the staff were amazing,” López explained. “I couldn’t wait to come here.”

López is most interested in the difference in gameplay between the United States and Europe. She believes the increased physicality and caliber of players throughout the NWSL are key to helping her improve her game.

“In Spain, it’s more technical than physical, so for me this is a new challenge,” she explained. “I think I will learn a lot from my teammates and it will make my game more complete.”

Want even more women’s sports coverage?

Subscribers of The Equalizer can now save 50% on their subscription to our partner publication, The Next. Between the Locked On Women’s Basketballpodcast, watch parties on Playback and more than 100 reported stories per month, The Next has women’s basketball covered 24/7.

Subscribe to The Next

As López prepares to join Gotham, she looks forward to having an impact on the team in whatever way she can. “I can play in a lot of different places on the pitch,” she said. “If I can play in my normal position as a six, it’s a pleasure, but Juan Carlos knows he can put me where ever he wants on the field and I will do my best and give 100% of myself to the team.”

For Gotham FC general manager Yael Averbuch West, López’s signing adds another strong, experienced roster to the squad. “Maitane López is a player with strong technical ability and international experience who will be a fantastic addition to team,” Averbuch West said in the team’s release.

López will be available for Gotham FC at Sunday’s match against the Portland Thorns.

More...
Working...
X