Matt Potter shares ‘bold ambitions’ as new Kansas City Current head coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt Potter shares ‘bold ambitions’ as new Kansas City Current head coach

The Kansas City Current have hired Matt Potter to be the club’s second head coach. Potter comes to the Current after spending the last two years working for U.S. Soccer with the U-23 women, and before that he was an opponent scout ahead of and during the 2019 World Cup. Potter also had significant college stints coaching at Oklahoma and Washington State.

“Once I knew there was an interest, all you have to do is look at what Angie, Chris, and Brittany are trying to do,” Potter said in an exclusive interview with The Equalizer. “They’re trying to do things that have never been done before.”

Angie, Chris, and Brittany are Angie and Chris Long, and Brittany Matthews. They are the owners of the Current, and in just over a year since they replaced the old Utah Royals franchise, they have made their mark as being among the more ambitious National Women’s Soccer League owners.

“The way they’re approaching everything is first-class and it’s everything a coach would dream of in terms of the environment in order to fulfill your own personal ambitions,” Potter said. “I think the other thing about the Kansas City Current is that city is a sports city but it’s built on some core values and a way of doing things that really align with who I am. It’s about hard work, the challenge, and being united, representing [something] bigger than yourself.

“[The owners’] ambitions are bold and aggressive. I think in that sense we very much align. Once I heard all of that and once I got to meet people within the organization, got the vibe of the city and the fan base, there are so many positives.”

Access the best women’s soccer coverage all year long

Start your FREE, 7-day trial of The Equalizer Extra for industry-leading reporting and insight on the USWNT, NWSL and beyond.

Subscribe

Existing Users Sign In Here

More...
Working...
X