Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OSAA Soccer and Parent Coaches

Does OSAA prohibit parent coaching and iare there any rules in place to prohibit and control nepotism?

To my understanding OSAA doesn't care about this. Only thing they see as an issue with club coach coaching high school players on said club team he or she coaches. But that rule also doesn't always get followed.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
      Does OSAA prohibit parent coaching and iare there any rules in place to prohibit and control nepotism?
      If the kids coach is good then it shouldn't matter. But if they are terrible then I see it being a problem for the team. Or a parent.

Comment

If the kids coach is good then it shouldn't matter. But if they are terrible then I see it being a problem for the team. Or a parent.
        typo meant to say coaches kid

Comment

Agree, if the kid is a player, yes best team should be on the field. If not and it is evident, that is a problem. And that is definitely happening with some of the teams in OSAA this fall.

Comment

Is this an excuse to discuss RJ once again?

As far as a coach that seems to do OK while coaching her kid, you could look at Katie at UPDX. I mean I would not want my kid at that club, but it is not because of her.

Comment

Ask LeBron James.

Comment

HS coaches whose children are playing for them in an activity has been and will always be the cultural norm in the OSAA in every activity.

The OYSA club soccer landscape actually has many more parent coaches than HS does overall.

Think about there are just so many different levels to play at in HS (1a, 2a, 3a, 4a, 5a & 6a) hundreds of High Schools that field upwards 30+ boys and girls Varsity teams coupled with a huge shortage of coaches to choose from, parent coaches are program saver at many schools.

Furthermore in HS it's never been an issue, since it's an expected and ordinary norm, plus there is not much of a bar to clear to make a high school team in any sport. It's just a cool recreational extra curricular activity.

Club socce4 with Parent coaches is Becoming less and less of any big deal since the club scene is so diluted.

Comment

The only thing worse than a coach with a kid on the team is a coach with two kids on the team.

Comment

The only thing worse than a coach with a kid on the team is a coach with two kids on the team.
                    There's one team at Westside that used to have a coach with THREE kids on the team!

Comment

There's one team at Westside that used to have a coach with THREE kids on the team!
                      Three is definitely worse than two. At least you can choose where to play for club. You don’t have a choice for high school.

Comment

That is wild. Wonder how that went with other parents on that team. Or if the kids were good enough to be on said team.

Comment

My guess is it was a B or C team, not a 1st team at club that big.

Comment

The 6A boys 3 Rivera league has 2 boys schools with parent coaches on the sidelines.

Comment

Parent-coaches favoring their child can be a problem but is usually isolated to one spot on a team. High School coaches improperly favoring players from their Club team, that the coach is employed by, is a much bigger issue that infects whole high school programs and negatively impacts generations of players.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X