Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I doubt you have actually been through this process at all, or I am confident you would understand all of the different factors that go into the decision making and not be so easy to cast judgement. It is obvious you do not have a daughter playing somewhere else or who will be, but like to be contrary and second guess others. In this case a child. It is about being a fit for each player/student, not what would be a fit for anyone else. I know that a lot of the kids read this board, especially the older ones, so hopefully she understands you are just a small minded ignorant person and realizes she should be proud of her accomplishment, despite what some anonymous person thinks.
    You'd be wrong. I know exactly what it's about. And I know exactly how people view schools and programs. The recruits know what the prestigious schools are and which ones aren't.

Comment

You'd be wrong. I know exactly what it's about. And I know exactly how people view schools and programs. The recruits know what the prestigious schools are and which ones aren't.
      That is why I do not believe you. Because it isn't about the prestigious programs for 98% of the kids. For the .02% that UCLA and Stanford are calling it is something different and maybe even the next 5- 10%, that top tier are lookong at, but for at east 90 percent of kids getting recruited it is about balancing what they are looking for academically, financially and soccer wise on top of all the other factors like size, location etc. Then there are even more factors, like startong with who is even an option for them. No one us arguing with you that some programs are not more prestigious than others but you would have the kid that gets a good offer to a big Sky program, get school paid for and get to follow their dream do what? Go hide under a rock because it is "less than" other programs? That is where you are unrealiatic. I would tell that kid goos job and be proud. Not, "wow you suck it isn't UP" do you get at all why I think you are being ridiculous and I know for a fact you have not had a daughter sit in even one coaches office on a visit yet? Because you are focusing on the wrong things. It is easy to tell when posts are from the parents that have been through it because it is obvious that they understand the complexity of it. and thwy aooreciate that any offer is a blessing.

Comment

I don't see anyone 'diminishing' anyone's accomplishments. Just a frank discussion that girls should pick a college for the best fit and it really shouldn't have anything to do with soccer. If it does, that's great! And simply a bonus. And you are missing the point. Athletically, maybe a young lady can play at P.S.U. that is quite an achievement. But on the other hand, she is also probably very solid academically as well (most female college soccer players that play college are, there isn't enough athletic money to go around). The argument is not that UCLA would be better athletically (though it is), it's that if she can get into a better school then P.S.U. (but not play soccer at all for the university) she should. That couple of grand athletic scholarship each year will bite her in the ass in the long run. That's just smart planning for the future (just using those schools as an example, not picking on them in particular)
        I respect your opinion but have to disagree. If the student wants to play soccer the time is now because this will not be an option later down the road. On the other hand I received a masters from Stanford in my 30s and so can anyone else. As a parent I am much more focused on the pursuit of happiness for my kids first and then I know they will figure out how to leverage that later down the road. BTW: I have two U of O grads that have amazing jobs and lives. You never know.

Comment

That is why I do not believe you. Because it isn't about the prestigious programs for 98% of the kids. For the .02% that UCLA and Stanford are calling it is something different and maybe even the next 5- 10%, that top tier are lookong at, but for at east 90 percent of kids getting recruited it is about balancing what they are looking for academically, financially and soccer wise on top of all the other factors like size, location etc. Then there are even more factors, like startong with who is even an option for them. No one us arguing with you that some programs are not more prestigious than others but you would have the kid that gets a good offer to a big Sky program, get school paid for and get to follow their dream do what? Go hide under a rock because it is "less than" other programs? That is where you are unrealiatic. I would tell that kid goos job and be proud. Not, "wow you suck it isn't UP" do you get at all why I think you are being ridiculous and I know for a fact you have not had a daughter sit in even one coaches office on a visit yet? Because you are focusing on the wrong things. It is easy to tell when posts are from the parents that have been through it because it is obvious that they understand the complexity of it. and thwy aooreciate that any offer is a blessing.
          You would be wrong, on many accounts. Sorry Charlie. Don't speak from my experience, ummmmkayyyy? Now go back to memorizing that PSU fight song.

Comment

You would be wrong, on many accounts. Sorry Charlie. Don't speak from my experience, ummmmkayyyy? Now go back to memorizing that PSU fight song.
            What does all this have to do with Surf Cup ?

Comment

What does all this have to do with Surf Cup ?
              Did any teams actually win at Surf? Any Oregon teams that is.

Comment

Did any teams actually win at Surf? Any Oregon teams that is.
                Of course they did. CU and THUSC were there. FC Stayed home.

Comment

Of course they did. CU and THUSC were there. FC Stayed home.
                  Bringing home the hardware are they? Didn't think so, even playing for 21st place in division 2.

Comment

Bringing home the hardware are they? Didn't think so, even playing for 21st place in division 2.
                    I hate thusc, but c'mon. At least they went. Any timbers teams get invited? It's pretty well known the Thorns Academy wanted to and advertised that fact and got denied.

Comment

I hate thusc, but c'mon. At least they went. Any timbers teams get invited? It's pretty well known the Thorns Academy wanted to and advertised that fact and got denied.
                      Surf used to take only the best. Now they take some of the mediocre too. Thorns still didn't make the cut, and that was with the strongest team they'll ever have.

Comment

Surf used to take only the best. Now they take some of the mediocre too. Thorns still didn't make the cut, and that was with the strongest team they'll ever have.
                        Shut up all you losers! Move on….you will never have a kid play at Surf so stop trying to feel better about it by bashing all those that do!

Comment

Shut up all you losers! Move on….you will never have a kid play at Surf so stop trying to feel better about it by bashing all those that do!
                          Never in 2nd division, you're right. But Super Group several times for sure.

Comment

They probably didn't felate the admissions group. Tom has been doing it for years so Thusc teams always get in, even when they are as bad as Radium.

Comment

Did Iridium go? You know, that great U17 ECNL team that didn't even make the lowest of the low groups so that they could play in Seattle? Pretty sad when you are one of the bottom 10 teams in all of ECNL. No wonder they didn't play the Thorns, would have been really embarassing to lose 3-0.

Comment

Did Iridium go? You know, that great U17 ECNL team that didn't even make the lowest of the low groups so that they could play in Seattle? Pretty sad when you are one of the bottom 10 teams in all of ECNL. No wonder they didn't play the Thorns, would have been really embarassing to lose 3-0.
                                You mean the Thorns teams that couldn't win watered down OYSA and FWRL leagues? Or beat any "A" teams at tourneys? That Thorns team?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X