Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I get spot they earned but NPL finals is ECNL clubs B teams. Enjoy Indiana in July!!!!
    Only the top 10 clubs in the country have second teams that can win national titles in any league. Those second teams would go 7-0 on Fcp and CU Ecnl teams.

You really shouldn't try to take credit by association with a league where the teams you seem to be insulting People for wouldn't even be good enough to accomplish what GPS has already done.

Going 1-9 in a failing Ecnl league is no accomplishment. It just shows you aren't good enough to compete or you are too stupid to realize you are a doormat.

Comment

GPS was absolutely spanked at Regionals and now the some of the key players have fled to DA and ECNL so the spankings will turn to floggings. The Bayern summer is beginning to look like winter in America.
      Haha. Bitter dad realized the grass isn't greener.

Comment

Only the top 10 clubs in the country have second teams that can win national titles in any league. Those second teams would go 7-0 on Fcp and CU Ecnl teams.

You really shouldn't try to take credit by association with a league where the teams you seem to be insulting People for wouldn't even be good enough to accomplish what GPS has already done.

Going 1-9 in a failing Ecnl league is no accomplishment. It just shows you aren't good enough to compete or you are too stupid to realize you are a doormat.
        The problem is, is that as ecnl teams continue, as you wish not, to be exposed to sometimes well over 25 college coaches in just one game only and I've seen lists of well over 75 different college coaches attending our games in a given weekend. Another problem is, is that many of the ecnl girls are sent unsolicited emails (not random form emails with invites to ID camps) from college coaches that watched them, win or loss, and you'd be surprised, well maybe you would actually fall over after your post above. Another major, huge problem is that many of these schools are D1 and several trying to work out visit details or future exposure opportunities. But none of these problems are that big for many ecnl girls in the older age groups because they are already committed (majority D1 - you can find some of these details on the club sites, top drawer, etc., but many aren't listed anywhere).

Name one OYSA, fwrl, region 4 (even championship game for god sakes) or surf cup game that had over 25 college coaches in attendance. Name just one. Name one club with more D1 offers than the ecnl clubs.

What an uphill battle you are experiencing in your weak attempt to downplay the exposure and value that ecnl provides, but focus on the losses though. Pray ecnl does die. That must help with your insecurities and hate of the success many of these girls have had and continue to experience. You are a special kind of human.

Comment

Who cares what team your daughter plays on. Pick a spot that works for your daughter and your family and stop being critical of the decisions that are different than the one that your family made.

If you are not happy make a change. Stop the bad mouthing or other teams, players, families and for god sake please stop the boasting and the attacking of one another.

Let's have mature adult conversations that are respectful and constructive and demonstrate humility and integrity for our children.

Comment

The problem is, is that as ecnl teams continue, as you wish not, to be exposed to sometimes well over 25 college coaches in just one game only and I've seen lists of well over 75 different college coaches attending our games in a given weekend. Another problem is, is that many of the ecnl girls are sent unsolicited emails (not random form emails with invites to ID camps) from college coaches that watched them, win or loss, and you'd be surprised, well maybe you would actually fall over after your post above. Another major, huge problem is that many of these schools are D1 and several trying to work out visit details or future exposure opportunities. But none of these problems are that big for many ecnl girls in the older age groups because they are already committed (majority D1 - you can find some of these details on the club sites, top drawer, etc., but many aren't listed anywhere).

Name one OYSA, fwrl, region 4 (even championship game for god sakes) or surf cup game that had over 25 college coaches in attendance. Name just one. Name one club with more D1 offers than the ecnl clubs.

What an uphill battle you are experiencing in your weak attempt to downplay the exposure and value that ecnl provides, but focus on the losses though. Pray ecnl does die. That must help with your insecurities and hate of the success many of these girls have had and continue to experience. You are a special kind of human.
            I don't think anyone is trying to downplay the exposure ECNL provides. If your DD isn't talented enough to write her own ticket (and most local girls aren't), and needs to go get the attention of recruiters and coaches for whom players like her are a dime a dozen, ECNL might be a good way to go. It's business model is, essentially, running talent shows; it has made plenty of arrangements with college coaches that it can leverage.

But this is the 03 thread--and unless your girl is a superstar (in which case you don't need ECNL), it's a bit early to be parading around the country to showcases. And the above comment was in reaction to a discussion of which is the best 03 team in Oregon--last year it was GPS, and it wasn't close. Simply playing in ECNL does not make a given team elite, and both FC and CU posted poor results last year.

ECNL boosters like to extrapolate claims of "we put lots of girls in college" (true, if you assume that ECNL gets full credit for a girl that ages out of their program, even if she spent most of her youth career elsewhere) to "we have the best program top-to-bottom", which is a dubious claim to say the least.

Comment

I don't think anyone is trying to downplay the exposure ECNL provides. If your DD isn't talented enough to write her own ticket (and most local girls aren't), and needs to go get the attention of recruiters and coaches for whom players like her are a dime a dozen, ECNL might be a good way to go. It's business model is, essentially, running talent shows; it has made plenty of arrangements with college coaches that it can leverage.

But this is the 03 thread--and unless your girl is a superstar (in which case you don't need ECNL), it's a bit early to be parading around the country to showcases. And the above comment was in reaction to a discussion of which is the best 03 team in Oregon--last year it was GPS, and it wasn't close. Simply playing in ECNL does not make a given team elite, and both FC and CU posted poor results last year.

ECNL boosters like to extrapolate claims of "we put lots of girls in college" (true, if you assume that ECNL gets full credit for a girl that ages out of their program, even if she spent most of her youth career elsewhere) to "we have the best program top-to-bottom", which is a dubious claim to say the least.
              GPS got pasted/spanked at Regionals! They played in a weak OYSA decimated by ECNL departures. And yes ECNL puts alot of girls thru college, helped by their original clubs but the key development takes place at ECNL driven by the internal and external competition.

Comment

Since ECNL already starts at U14, soon U13, then a player joining then will spend several developmental years in ECNL. As for traveling all over at a young age, sure it's kind of nuts. But at the same time 1) families know this going in and have chosen to participate/have to do what their club tells them to do 2) a small but increasingly growing number of girls are making commitments as 8th and 9th graders (not something I think is a good idea but it's there) 3) it's good for them to get accustomed to playing in the environment so that when they are actively in the process they're more comfortable with it.

I know there's been talk of fewer national events and more regional ones. I think that makes a ton of sense. There's plenty of statistics showing most kids will go to school within a half day or so drive from home. So why move West Coast coaches and players to Chicago to see each other when you can do it in San Fran or Las Vegas etc? You can still do 1-2 big national events, but having a more common sense would also position itself in another way against GDA (less travel, lower costs)

Comment

GPS got pasted/spanked at Regionals! They played in a weak OYSA decimated by ECNL departures. And yes ECNL puts alot of girls thru college, helped by their original clubs but the key development takes place at ECNL driven by the internal and external competition.
                  No coach gets more out of a player than GPS. I've watched a few ECNL games and they win or lose based on the play of the top three kids. Not the same story with GPS who comes out with 18 possible game changers each match.

Comment

Interesting conversation. Here's my two cents for what it's worth.

If you think putting your daughter on the team with the best record will get her recruited, you are wildly mistaken. Coaches recruit players. Not teams. Your player needs to get to events where college coaches will see her. As of now, that's ECNL events, Surf cup, Disney, and probably OYSA regional finals and national events. Anything else might get a few coaches. My DD's former OYSA team had 10 at a Vegas tournament a few years back. Her current ECNL team averaged 75 coaches at their last tournament. I'm sure someone will claim I'm lying but it's a fact. It's also a fact that a freshman in her ECNL club just made a D1 commitment - and it wasn't to an Oregon school.

I know I will be dismissed as an ECNL apologist. We all have a lot invested in believing what we are doing is best for our kids. Isn't that what every parent wants? I'm telling you that my experience is that doing ECNL was a no brainer for our kid who wants to play D1 outside of Oregon.

Comment

Interesting conversation. Here's my two cents for what it's worth.

If you think putting your daughter on the team with the best record will get her recruited, you are wildly mistaken. Coaches recruit players. Not teams. Your player needs to get to events where college coaches will see her. As of now, that's ECNL events, Surf cup, Disney, and probably OYSA regional finals and national events. Anything else might get a few coaches. My DD's former OYSA team had 10 at a Vegas tournament a few years back. Her current ECNL team averaged 75 coaches at their last tournament. I'm sure someone will claim I'm lying but it's a fact. It's also a fact that a freshman in her ECNL club just made a D1 commitment - and it wasn't to an Oregon school.

I know I will be dismissed as an ECNL apologist. We all have a lot invested in believing what we are doing is best for our kids. Isn't that what every parent wants? I'm telling you that my experience is that doing ECNL was a no brainer for our kid who wants to play D1 outside of Oregon.
                      I appreciate a sensible conversation. And I do not see you as an ECNL apologist. I absolutely agree with getting in front of coaches at tournaments as well. At the same time, I believe there is a point of diminishing returns. There needs to be balance. A team like GPS can compete regionally and nationally and yet still play and practice locally to maintain balance. You are correct also that the coaches recruit players, not teams. But how great is it to play in 3-5 tournaments where you travel to play 4-6 games vs flying every other weekend for 1 or 2. They will be seen. Ultimately, if a player is a fringe player, ECNL might be the path. But a very good player will be seen and indentified under the GPS/OYSA (salmon creek 00/wa timbers 02) model if they are on a quality team. Perhaps they will be happier too.

Comment

All the Oregon teams got spanked at regionals. That's what usually happens when local teams run into competition from California and Arizona teams. Last year one local team went to Nationals, this year zero. Par for the course.

Were any of the FC or CU ecnl teams there, they would have been thrashed just as hard, if not worse.

Comment

All the Oregon teams got spanked at regionals. That's what usually happens when local teams run into competition from California and Arizona teams. Last year one local team went to Nationals, this year zero. Par for the course.

Were any of the FC or CU ecnl teams there, they would have been thrashed just as hard, if not worse.
                          And, to be fair, if GPS were to enter a top ecnl showcase and play against a top ten club, they would get clobbered too.

Oregon remains a youth soccer backwater. Occasionally a local team will do well nationally. Usually our teams don't advance out of regional competitions. Whether oysa, ecnl, or GDA it doesn't matter.

Comment

I appreciate a sensible conversation. And I do not see you as an ECNL apologist. I absolutely agree with getting in front of coaches at tournaments as well. At the same time, I believe there is a point of diminishing returns. There needs to be balance. A team like GPS can compete regionally and nationally and yet still play and practice locally to maintain balance. You are correct also that the coaches recruit players, not teams. But how great is it to play in 3-5 tournaments where you travel to play 4-6 games vs flying every other weekend for 1 or 2. They will be seen. Ultimately, if a player is a fringe player, ECNL might be the path. But a very good player will be seen and indentified under the GPS/OYSA (salmon creek 00/wa timbers 02) model if they are on a quality team. Perhaps they will be happier too.
                            Almost every kid on ECNL, GPS and GDA are fringe players. Using your logic would mean that ECNL is the best college pathway for 98% of the kids playing today. Or do you think that half the team is comprised of "very good players"? That would be insane!!

Comment

No coach gets more out of a player than GPS. I've watched a few ECNL games and they win or lose based on the play of the top three kids. Not the same story with GPS who comes out with 18 possible game changers each match.
                              I am going to disagree with you on this one. There is not 18 game changers on GPS. If that was true results would have been different at Regionals. GPS will now be moving forward without the GK that played at Regionals and will be losing another key forward. I don't see this team getting stronger it appears to be getting weaker.

Comment

I am going to disagree with you on this one. There is not 18 game changers on GPS. If that was true results would have been different at Regionals. GPS will now be moving forward without the GK that played at Regionals and will be losing another key forward. I don't see this team getting stronger it appears to be getting weaker.
                                Exactly. There isn't a team in Oregon that has more than 2 "game changers" on their roster. Most have none. GPS isn't any different than any other team.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X