Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I understand what you saying here, but the fact is that if the land was currently deemed toxic ,they would not be able to get a permit to build on it. Maybe it was toxic at one point, but has been cleaned up or enough time elapsed since the contamination for it to be cleared safe. ???
    It's a certified brownfield meaning that it has had some contamination. And yes, in theory they could not build on it unless it has been cleaned up. But sometimes the cleanup isn't as thorough as some people would like.

Personally I think it will be fine but it is a valid concern.

Comment

It's a certified brownfield meaning that it has had some contamination. And yes, in theory they could not build on it unless it has been cleaned up. But sometimes the cleanup isn't as thorough as some people would like.

Personally I think it will be fine but it is a valid concern.
      The site of the former Steck-Philbin Landfill on Old Northport Road in Kings Park will finally receive an overdue facelift after 30 years of tax delinquency. The Suffolk County Landbank Corp., which is a not-for-profit entity that works with the county to redevelop tax-delinquent properties, issued a request for proposals to revitalize eight brownfields, including the one in Kings Park, in a press release from Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone (D) in late January.

“We are working to partner with the private sector to revitalize brownfields sites which have been blights on communities for nearly two decades,” Bellone said in the release.

A property is classified as a brownfield if there are complications in expansion or redevelopment based on the possible presence of pollutants or hazardous materials, according to the United States Environmental Protection Agency.

The site on Old Northport Road is still owned by Richard and Roslyn Steck of Steck & Philbin Development Co., though penalties and interest bring the total owed in property tax on the roughly 25 acres of land to nearly $1.5 million. The property has been tax delinquent since Steck-Philbin Development Co. was found to be using the site to dispose of waste that they did not have a permit for in 1986. It is located less than a half mile east of the Sunken Meadow Parkway and about a half mile west of Indian Head Road.
      The property in Kings Park is next to the future location of a multisport complex being developed by Prospect Sports Partners LLC. The $33 million plan for the 44-acre site was approved in July 2015.

Comment

Well, with getting rid of all those pesky little EPA regulations and barriers I'm sure the site will be just fine now.

Comment

Well, with getting rid of all those pesky little EPA regulations and barriers I'm sure the site will be just fine now.
          Maybe they just wont let anyone slide tackle so no top soil gets on the kids lol

Comment

Maybe they just wont let anyone slide tackle so no top soil gets on the kids lol
            And keepers can wear hazmat pants and tops too :)

Comment

The site of the former Steck-Philbin Landfill on Old Northport Road in Kings Park will finally receive an overdue facelift after 30 years of tax delinquency. The Suffolk County Landbank Corp., which is a not-for-profit entity that works with the county to redevelop tax-delinquent properties, issued a request for proposals to revitalize eight brownfields, including the one in Kings Park, in a press release from Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone (D) in late January.

“We are working to partner with the private sector to revitalize brownfields sites which have been blights on communities for nearly two decades,” Bellone said in the release.

A property is classified as a brownfield if there are complications in expansion or redevelopment based on the possible presence of pollutants or hazardous materials, according to the United States Environmental Protection Agency.

The site on Old Northport Road is still owned by Richard and Roslyn Steck of Steck & Philbin Development Co., though penalties and interest bring the total owed in property tax on the roughly 25 acres of land to nearly $1.5 million. The property has been tax delinquent since Steck-Philbin Development Co. was found to be using the site to dispose of waste that they did not have a permit for in 1986. It is located less than a half mile east of the Sunken Meadow Parkway and about a half mile west of Indian Head Road.
              The property in Kings Park is next to the future location of a multisport complex being developed by Prospect Sports Partners LLC. The $33 million plan for the 44-acre site was approved in July 2015.
              Read the last sentence. They are talking about a brownfield NEXT to Prospect Sports which is the site Barca is building on. Flynn Park is on the other side of that landfill and has been there for years as a baseball park.

So Barca's site is not the site in question, rather next to a site in question. That article had a picture of the toxic parcel surrounded by a red line. You can see the much bigger Barca site accross the street.

Comment

Read the last sentence. They are talking about a brownfield NEXT to Prospect Sports which is the site Barca is building on. Flynn Park is on the other side of that landfill and has been there for years as a baseball park.

So Barca's site is not the site in question, rather next to a site in question. That article had a picture of the toxic parcel surrounded by a red line. You can see the much bigger Barca site accross the street.
                OP here.....oops my bad- good catch

Comment

This is going to be a huge problem for Susa. Prediction - Susa ultimately builds the soccer project in Islip, but it is a fraction of the size that they say it will be because of this Barca complex. Too much risk for Susa now.

Comment

Metro league expansion was announced today, and Barca is not part of it. Is Barca lying when they say that Blue team will be playing Metro?

Comment

Metro league expansion was announced today, and Barca is not part of it. Is Barca lying when they say that Blue team will be playing Metro?
                      did they tell you that their blue team was playing metro?

Comment

This is going to be a huge problem for Susa. Prediction - Susa ultimately builds the soccer project in Islip, but it is a fraction of the size that they say it will be because of this Barca complex. Too much risk for Susa now.
                        Which is probably why someone (very likely LM or Susa) is using the "toxic" land issue as disinformation on BOTN after it has already been debunked here. Larry's got to protect his adverti$er$.

Comment

Still no email for my son. He accepted an offer already but I am still curious as to whatever Barca comes back with, if anything.

Comment

Still no email for my son. He accepted an offer already but I am still curious as to whatever Barca comes back with, if anything.
                            when did your son tryout, one of the earlier tryouts or later? i am not sure what their process is...but could it be that most later tryouts were reserves? or by the time they got to selecting, did they forget who they saw in beginning and select kids from last week? just wondering.

Comment

when did your son tryout, one of the earlier tryouts or later? i am not sure what their process is...but could it be that most later tryouts were reserves? or by the time they got to selecting, did they forget who they saw in beginning and select kids from last week? just wondering.
                              He went to the last one for his age group. There were callbacks happening on that night already. The actual offer doesn't matter anymore, as I said, but I am still curious as to why we did not get an email. I suppose it's not the end of the business day yet either but jeez

Comment

He went to the last one for his age group. There were callbacks happening on that night already. The actual offer doesn't matter anymore, as I said, but I am still curious as to why we did not get an email. I suppose it's not the end of the business day yet either but jeez
                                from what i have seen or read on the other soccer site..they seem to be only just getting to selecting the second teams? that doesn't make sense either..can't believe everything you read on that site. i would think kids that got called back, got offers.

in my opinion they are done, and a 'rejection' email now is secondary to them. who knows - and therein lies the issue..NO COMMUNICATION...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X