Ask the Coach, Women's College D1

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a high school teacher and over the years I've seen plenty of kids who are in the top 5% of their class opt for schools not in the top 50, or even top 100. These kids who opt out usually want to go to a "big" school with big time sports, Greek life, and a vibrant social scene that doesn't center around academics or other students like them. They also like the opportunities top public schools afford them. Personally, I think kids should go where they'll flourish and be happy apart from their parents prodding.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Nancy Feldman from BU. Appreciate the ask me anything, but when did BU become an elite school? Seriously, I thought kids who couldn't go the other schools near the Charles went to BU. I remember talking to some Choatie girl from BU at a party saying that she was trying to transfer into Harvard after two years at BU's CBS school. A friend had to explain to me that was the Charles Brown School for idiot prep kids. Haha. Damn, I am so old.
      Have fun young people. :)
      Not true. I know kids that had choice of schools "near the charles" that are at BU. Plenty of top level prep school kids from out of the area there. They are feeder high schools into ivy schools and other top level schools (duke, uva, stanford, harvard, mit, penn, etc.) You just like to get your swips in at BU.

Comment

There are prep schools in NY, NJ, PA, MD (bethesda..right outside of DC), VA; that are top in nation. Some think the only preps are in MA.

Some of the oldest are in NJ/PA/MD area. Founding fathers opened them...been around since mid 1700's.

Comment

We are lucky to have great schools around us for higher learning. No need to bash any one of them.

https://www.niche.com/colleges/searc...on-metro-area/

A lot of very selective ones; many (not all) needing at least a 1300 SAT score. Nothing to sneeze at.

Comment

We are lucky to have great schools around us for higher learning. No need to bash any one of them.

https://www.niche.com/colleges/searc...on-metro-area/

A lot of very selective ones; many (not all) needing at least a 1300 SAT score. Nothing to sneeze at.
            I agree. I found these schools for BU

http://www.bu.edu/academics/schools-colleges/

Their engineering, sciences, medical and business schools have outstanding reputations. And their graduate schools are top notch as well. Many schools do not have grad schools let alone covering nearly all top professions (medicine/sciences law, engineering, business).

It has evolved well beyond what it may have been "back in the day."

Comment

I am glad to see this thread up again. With my hospital shifts being crazy many times, it was great to read some info that only seemed helpful.

For the negative Nells and Neds (someone's terms borrower...thanks), i don' t have a lot of time to post either, but i am. It is worth it to me that the coach knows that his/her contribution was appreciated.

I am interested in the rolling recruiting for the high schoolers;
              the ability for those in college who may not want a weak spring season including without ncaa's to pass on it;
              Will colleges vaccinate the kids if vaccine is released while they are in school.

Comment

There are prep schools in NY, NJ, PA, MD (bethesda..right outside of DC), VA; that are top in nation. Some think the only preps are in MA.

Some of the oldest are in NJ/PA/MD area. Founding fathers opened them...been around since mid 1700's.
                Uh oh. Founding fathers opened them means they will be torn down soon. Shame

Comment

I'm a high school teacher and over the years I've seen plenty of kids who are in the top 5% of their class opt for schools not in the top 50, or even top 100. These kids who opt out usually want to go to a "big" school with big time sports, Greek life, and a vibrant social scene that doesn't center around academics or other students like them. They also like the opportunities top public schools afford them. Personally, I think kids should go where they'll flourish and be happy apart from their parents prodding.
                  “Doesn’t center around academics” coming from a teacher is highly disturbing.
                  You have bought what the colleges are now selling...”for 120k, for 4 yrs, now 5, we’ll give your kid a fun filled experience that has some academics, but is mainly focused on separating you from your money...no job upon graduation...useless majors...but a brand new cafeteria and lounges.”
                  We need a complete retooling of the the college structure.
                  It is about EDUCATION.

Would you pay good money for a soccer club that promises some soccer training, but mainly fun and frivolity? (name your club)

Comment

“Doesn’t center around academics” coming from a teacher is highly disturbing.
                    You have bought what the colleges are now selling...”for 120k, for 4 yrs, now 5, we’ll give your kid a fun filled experience that has some academics, but is mainly focused on separating you from your money...no job upon graduation...useless majors...but a brand new cafeteria and lounges.”
                    We need a complete retooling of the the college structure.
                    It is about EDUCATION.

Would you pay good money for a soccer club that promises some soccer training, but mainly fun and frivolity? (name your club)
                    Are you an f’ing communist or what? People have free choice to go where they want to school, and for whatever reason they choose.

Comment

Are you an f’ing communist or what? People have free choice to go where they want to school, and for whatever reason they choose.
                      Woah. Why do defensive? Guess someone did not make their choice centered around academics. Suit yourself but there is nothing wrong or communist about suggesting that folks use their free choice wisely and focus on pursuing the top academics they can manage to access.

Comment

Which is exactly why the free market will dictate who remains.
                        But if I was a school president, in uncertain economic times, I’d be focusing on education issues, not lounges in dorms.

What a weak and useless response you offered...did your school have nice amenities?

Comment

But if I was a school president, in uncertain economic times, I’d be focusing on education issues, not lounges in dorms.

What a weak and useless response you offered...did your school have nice amenities?
                          A free market system works best with a highly educated population that and a system of education that is as accessible as possible.

Comment

the problem is became as escalated war, each trying to out do each other on amenities and extras to attract the students. some campuses are absurd how nice they are. no doubt with the financial crisis all building projects will be canceled unless it's absolutely essential

Comment

A free market system works best with a highly educated population that and a system of education that is as accessible as possible.
                              which we don't have here. the dumbing down of america has served the gop well

Comment

which we don't have here. the dumbing down of america has served the gop well
                                However it has not dumbed down the top folks of the GOP as they are getting all the benefits of tax cuts and getting richer through the pandemic. Not very dumb ... oh I get it, the lower earning supporters of the GOP who tend to vote against their own needs.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X