•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked the tournament. The 5 hour ride home last night was horrible though

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      There were plenty of coaches scratching their heads.
      By the fourth game if the coaches didn't get that all the players were exhausted then they don't deserve to be college coaches. There is a reason these coaches often leave before the semis and finals of tournaments.

Comment

How did you get home in 5 hours?

Last year it was 8 to 10 hours from LI to the North Shore. Happy that we attended MPS this year so that we did not have to go through that ride again!

Comment

The real problem with this tournament is that there are four 70 minute games crammed into two days. This would exacerbate the usual advantages to teams that stayed at home with short drives, etc. Honestly why even play the fourth game? They should have just left it as a showcase and allowed everyone the games against the others in their brackets.
          A lot of the teams have large benches so everyone get to play. More like playing two games for the starters?

Comment

How did you get home in 5 hours?

Last year it was 8 to 10 hours from LI to the North Shore. Happy that we attended MPS this year so that we did not have to go through that ride again!

Pembroke - didnt sit in the traffic

Comment

A lot of the teams have large benches so everyone get to play. More like playing two games for the starters?
              And others don't have large benches or at least not in certain positions. Be very careful what you are saying here about players who may have played 240 plus minutes over two days unless you saw all the games.

Comment

I was at many games this past weekend at NEWSS and talked with the 'field marshall' at one of the sites (he is affiliated with a few 'senior' teams of Albertsson). He offered many of these comments below:

1. this was a warm-up tournament for the 'elite' teams headed to Texas this coming weekend for the Final Four Tournament at College Station. I saw a lot of UGLY soccer. It was obvious that the girls were coming off their HS season and had many of the bad habits that develop during that season.

PDA had played CASL the weekend before. Syosett was at WAGS, Bethesda, and CASL, Albertson was at WAGS and Wallkill, Montclair was at MSSL

2. each team appeared to play EVERYONE (equal play time for all - pretty much)

One might conclude that those with the deeper bench would have an advantage.

3. there weren't a lot of college coaches. Some assistants were there & the head coaches were at the Surf Cup in San Diego. Some regional head coaches and several from small Div 1 and Div 2/3 colleges.

Coaches receiving team profiles were Dartmouth, UVA, Bryant, BU, NYU, St. John's, Harvard, UConn, Providence, Ithaca, American, Rutgers, Marist, Monmouth, Fairfield, Buffalo, Union, Wagner, Georgetown, Assumption, Manhattan, George Washington, UVM, Connecticut, Colgate, Rider, Binghamton, Wheaton, Fordham, Iona, and Stony Brook. Many returned to watch 2 and 3 games.

4. The brackets were pretty close...almost every team had a loss. Third and 4th tie-breakers were used to determine finalists in one bracket.

The only team without a loss in the U17 showcase was Syosset

5. Many of the girls appeard 'unmotivated' and tired. Especially on the final games on Sunday.

The quality of games definitely dropped off as the weekend progressed.

6. You Massachusetts people need to 'let it go'! This was simply a chance for many teams to get ready for Texas.

The only teams that had not played prior to the weekend were Stars United, Scorpions and CFC.

Comment

By the fourth game if the coaches didn't get that all the players were exhausted then they don't deserve to be college coaches. There is a reason these coaches often leave before the semis and finals of tournaments.
                  The 90th minute is just as important as the first. I would think I'd want to see who has the heart and stamina to keep trying and playing as hard as possible

Comment

The real problem with this tournament is that there are four 70 minute games crammed into two days. This would exacerbate the usual advantages to teams that stayed at home with short drives, etc. Honestly why even play the fourth game? They should have just left it as a showcase and allowed everyone the games against the others in their brackets.
                    I would agree with these sentiments. Very few, if any coaches at the last games, and the kids are dead dog tired. I wonder why they don't schedule a game a day starting Friday.

Comment

The 90th minute is just as important as the first. I would think I'd want to see who has the heart and stamina to keep trying and playing as hard as possible
                      You should be sure to explain that to all the college coaches who leave before the real end of tournaments.

PS - Minute 280 in less than 48 hours is very different than minute 90 in a single game. And playing keeper or defense over four games takes a different toll than midfield or forward. But of course you're the expert so let those coaches know where you think thhey've been going wrong.

Comment

All well and good, but as tough as the college schedule is, the first priority is to find good players that can play good soccer for 90 minutes at most.

Comment

You should be sure to explain that to all the college coaches who leave before the real end of tournaments.

PS - Minute 280 in less than 48 hours is very different than minute 90 in a single game. And playing keeper or defense over four games takes a different toll than midfield or forward. But of course you're the expert so let those coaches know where you think thhey've been going wrong.
                          Lets hope all the coaches get there for the first 20 minutes then huh?

Comment

The ride down... 3.5 hours straight through.

The ride back... 4.5 hours. Stopped once at DD for coffee. Felt like driving into Boston on the SE Xway, during rush hour.

Comment

Lets hope all the coaches get there for the first 20 minutes then huh?
                              Yes it is better to be seen earlier in the weekend and fresher. Which is why the colege coaches prefer to watch the earlier games at tournaments.

Comment

Gee. I thought that the coaches leave so that they can get home at a reasonable hour!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X