Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yale Women's Soccer Coach Brendan Faherty?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Look. Go live in Princeton if that is what you like. No one cares. They are completely different and to say one is better then the other is stupid. The two environments have nothing is common.

The murder in the park is heartbreaking but why would you choose a college based on that? Last month a kid jumped and killed himself in a suburban college environment. Are you going to let that decide where you go to college? Heartache and tragedy are found in all types of places unfortunately.
    A couple of things. 1) There is a difference between someone taking their own life and someone having theirs taken away from them. The first is a choice. The second you don’t really have a choice. Both are tragic. 2) I would absolutely choose the safer environment for my kid. Who wouldn’t is the bigger question?

Are you the Yale or Columbia AD? I don’t even think it’s an argument as to which is the nicer town, and which is the safer environment. Could someone choose the unsafe city environment? Of course. But they’d be in the minority, which was the original point someone was making. Yale and Columbia are tough places to win. That’s why they don’t win that often. It will take a special coach who knows what rocks to overturn to find the right kids. If Yale didn’t have such close and difficult competition, it might be different but they do. It’s like Amherst and Williams in the NESCAC. Top academic schools in the nescac, along with Wesleyan and Middlebury, but M, A and W are in much nicer towns than Middletown where Wesleyan is. Who wins all the time?

They are simply facts. Doesn’t mean it’s impossible. Just means it is difficult and will take someone special to bridge the gap. Is the new Yale coach that person? Maybe. But I doubt it. Time will tell.

Comment

Probably should not be out on her own after dark, regardless of what she was up to.......Morningside park separates Columbia and Harlem, and has always been a dangerous area. Poor judgment on her part.
      It was 7pm, not 3am. Still, it's not somewhere I'd walk by myself as a lone female. They were very young kids who seemed to panic when she fought back. Don't fight back - just given them your sh it

Comment

A couple of things. 1) There is a difference between someone taking their own life and someone having theirs taken away from them. The first is a choice. The second you don’t really have a choice. Both are tragic. 2) I would absolutely choose the safer environment for my kid. Who wouldn’t is the bigger question?

Are you the Yale or Columbia AD? I don’t even think it’s an argument as to which is the nicer town, and which is the safer environment. Could someone choose the unsafe city environment? Of course. But they’d be in the minority, which was the original point someone was making. Yale and Columbia are tough places to win. That’s why they don’t win that often. It will take a special coach who knows what rocks to overturn to find the right kids. If Yale didn’t have such close and difficult competition, it might be different but they do. It’s like Amherst and Williams in the NESCAC. Top academic schools in the nescac, along with Wesleyan and Middlebury, but M, A and W are in much nicer towns than Middletown where Wesleyan is. Who wins all the time?

They are simply facts. Doesn’t mean it’s impossible. Just means it is difficult and will take someone special to bridge the gap. Is the new Yale coach that person? Maybe. But I doubt it. Time will tell.
        Here's the thing. We don't get to choose. This is their journey, not ours. If yours loves Amherst or Princeton, great you can both be happy. If she wants New Haven grit or the energy of NYC then what to you do? You force her into your vision or you let her choose hers?

Comment

Here's the thing. We don't get to choose. This is their journey, not ours. If yours loves Amherst or Princeton, great you can both be happy. If she wants New Haven grit or the energy of NYC then what to you do? You force her into your vision or you let her choose hers?
          I don’t think that was the question. The question someone posed as I recall, was whether the new coach was a good hire and whether it is easier to win at Harvard, Princeton or Yale. Sure there are some outliers, but I’d guess the majority would prefer the first two over Yale for all of the reasons stated above. All three are great schools. Once you move past that, the location comes into play.

Comment

I don’t think that was the question. The question someone posed as I recall, was whether the new coach was a good hire and whether it is easier to win at Harvard, Princeton or Yale. Sure there are some outliers, but I’d guess the majority would prefer the first two over Yale for all of the reasons stated above. All three are great schools. Once you move past that, the location comes into play.
            Agree. All of the locations would appeal to different students for different reasons. Generalizations about what is preferable are silly.

Comment

All 3 have minuscule acceptance rates. There seems to be no problem for any one of the 3 to attract student athletes. Harvard probably has the clear edge due to name and biggest endowment. However, they aren’t doing much better and are doing worse than some in soccer. Go figure.

The biggest problem I see, as far as soccer goes, for all the Ivies is the decision to not give athletic scholarships. Soccer is pay to play so the majority of players are in that upper middle class salary range where they don’t qualify for financial aid but can’t afford 40-70k/year for college for one kid. This removes a large percentage of the already small group of top players who are also top students. From the remaining players, the rich likely choose more by legacy and location.

Comment

^ that is where coaching, the AD and the school's interest in strong athletics or certain programs comes into play. Harvard can't seen to pull it together with men's or women's soccer. Is that because Harvard sticks to its admissions standards more tightly? Or is it the coaching/weak performance that turns off more talented student athletes who can get admitted at other schools with stronger programs?

Comment

^ that is where coaching, the AD and the school's interest in strong athletics or certain programs comes into play. Harvard can't seen to pull it together with men's or women's soccer. Is that because Harvard sticks to its admissions standards more tightly? Or is it the coaching/weak performance that turns off more talented student athletes who can get admitted at other schools with stronger programs?
                  Good questions. I don’t know. As far as Harvard, maybe they are picking too many foreign players? Too many “look good on paper” players? Too many, “It’s all about me” players? Maybe, simply not picking the best players or simply being outcoached?

Comment

When Harvard was sued over Asian admissions they took a good hard look at who they were admitting. A large percentage were legacy admits and athletes. I'm curious how that compares to other Ivies.

Comment

Good questions. I don’t know. As far as Harvard, maybe they are picking too many foreign players? Too many “look good on paper” players? Too many, “It’s all about me” players? Maybe, simply not picking the best players or simply being outcoached?
                      So, bad coaching. Plus once a program starts to slip in performance it can become a slippery slope. The hottest prospects will go to the better programs/coaches, performance keeps slipping leading to fewer wanting the weaker programs.

Comment

Agree. All of the locations would appeal to different students for different reasons. Generalizations about what is preferable are silly.
                        They’re not silly New Haven Homer. They’re part of the process. New Haven isn’t NYC. It’s a dump. Deal with it.

Comment

When Harvard was sued over Asian admissions they took a good hard look at who they were admitting. A large percentage were legacy admits and athletes. I'm curious how that compares to other Ivies.
                          Harvard was sued over asian admissions? Did non-asians sue for having too many?

Comment

Harvard was sued over asian admissions? Did non-asians sue for having too many?
                            Not the poster but I think it was claimed qualified Asians were capped in number while less qualified non Asians were being admitted. Harvard claimed it was coincidental and that some Asian applicants didn't do well on other measures like extra curriculars, leadership or personality (in other words they are nerds that do nothing that study).

Comment

They’re not silly New Haven Homer. They’re part of the process. New Haven isn’t NYC. It’s a dump. Deal with it.
                              Mine would take NYC or New Haven over the p town bubble bath any day. To each his or her own.

Comment

Mine would take NYC or New Haven over the p town bubble bath any day. To each his or her own.
                                yours didnt catch a whiff from any of them, lets be honest

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X