This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transferring - Women's D1

Looking at this forum it seemed like there were threads associated with College soccer but I popped in only to find crickets.

Has anyone run into issues with their daughter's choice of college? In our case, my daughter committed at age 15. Unfortunately, the coaches that chose her were all fired the year before she started. The new coaching staff acted as though they were still very interested so my daughter stuck with the plan. After 2 years, she decided that her college soccer experience was being ruined by the coach. While she did play most games it was disheartening to realize that no amount of work can make a coach promote your skills or ability. In her case it seemed like the coach did like her but preferred to play those players she had chosen. It was so blatant that if my daughter had a particularly good game then she would be immediately pulled. I know it sounds paranoid and nonsensical but something was going on. Even the commentators would voice that they were puzzled why she would be pulled when she was raising the tempo and changing the momentum of the game.

When she first told me that she was going to quit her team so that she could find another I was floored. I was very worried about the outcome, didn't know how we could facilitate a quick move and severely stressed that it would all come down to that. In her post season meeting with the coaches she resigned and asked for a full release which she was granted.

As stressful as it was her new college appears to be a much better fit. The only down sides are that her scholarship is not as big (they do not have as much for transfers as it is all committed way in advance), she is in a new state with out of state tuition and she moved across the US.

I am just curious if others can relate to this tale. At my daughter's college there were 11 incoming freshmen in her recruiting class. Of the 11, only three remain two of which were chosen by the new coach. This particular conference seems to subscribe to the throwaway philosophy. No matter what, someone gets screwed when you have 30+ players.

In retrospect I can't help but wonder if the very young age that our daughters are being courted is setting many of them up for failure. It is my understanding that women's soccer has one of the highest transfer rates for D1 sports.

Thoughts?
Working...
X