Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    We are def not at the high point of crap yet. Many local town travel clubs are done. Some did not play last spring and some didn't in the fall either. They have lost droves of families to pay-to-play who just wanted their kids to play. The ****, small, pay-to-play clubs will have plenty to feed off of for some time. CT is a mess. Without any control from CJSA it is a total dilution of what talent we have in CT. Players jump from club to club. No real system to speak of. I have always though that only the clubs with their own facilities will survive but I'm not sure of that now. There seems to be a lot of people willing to part ways with their money for fancy uniforms and holiday tournaments.
    I agree that many families who had no town activities sought out Premier options. But a lot of families are also upset for very little soccer at high costs as well. I don’t see any new clubs forming and we have had several mergers along with clubs folding. That will likely continue. I believe we are moving in the right direction.

Comment

I agree that many families who had no town activities sought out Premier options. But a lot of families are also upset for very little soccer at high costs as well. I don’t see any new clubs forming and we have had several mergers along with clubs folding. That will likely continue. I believe we are moving in the right direction.
      I hope part of that direction is reviving these travel programs you say have disbanded and parents realize that the $400 expense is giving their 9 year old a good experience. It's frustrating to see so many kids pushed to $2500 clubs to be ignored and not have fun.

Comment

Is 'internet' the maker of that browser thingy? Are there any other brands of browsers? I have an iPhone if that helps.
        No.

Yes, multiple companies have developed browsers.

Yes, you do have a browser on your iphone.

Comment

Soccer participation was already in decline pre Covid due to a combination of high costs, too much travel and the dumb ass calendar year rule. No doubt Covid will accelerate that some more. It isn't just about price value either. Some families have simply re evaluated their priorities after so much time together, less running around like chickens

Comment

I hope part of that direction is reviving these travel programs you say have disbanded and parents realize that the $400 expense is giving their 9 year old a good experience. It's frustrating to see so many kids pushed to $2500 clubs to be ignored and not have fun.
            If towns are charging $400 dollars for travel they too are ripping parents off. My daughter plays on a town based premier team that charges only $250.00 a season which includes 2 tournaments in a non covid year. For the Spring of 2020 they issued a full refund.

Comment

If towns are charging $400 dollars for travel they too are ripping parents off. My daughter plays on a town based premier team that charges only $250.00 a season which includes 2 tournaments in a non covid year. For the Spring of 2020 they issued a full refund.
              I don't really know what travel costs these days to be honest. Some have paid coaches, some don't. Some provide great training and experiences for U-littles, some don't. All depends where you live I guess.

$500/year with tournaments is great regardless, seeing as tournaments cost around $600 alone. Does your "town premier" team compete well with the clubs? Because that's great.

Comment

ever since ow announced on the girls side that they can play HS soccer girls from other clubs have been filling up all the trainings.
                LOL not even close to being true.

Comment

I don't really know what travel costs these days to be honest. Some have paid coaches, some don't. Some provide great training and experiences for U-littles, some don't. All depends where you live I guess.

$500/year with tournaments is great regardless, seeing as tournaments cost around $600 alone. Does your "town premier" team compete well with the clubs? Because that's great.
                  Do your coaches have British accents? If they don't how do you know you are getting a good deal?

Comment

Varies so much town to town it's hard to generalize. Our town travel started hiring paid coaches awhile back and got a DOC with a clue. Started charging a bit more but from what I've been told enrollment numbers have steadily improved. Having a good board is clutch, people who care about the program and kids, not just out for themselves.

You can't stop some players from going to club and shouldn't - that's where they should be. But there's a lot of overlap between travel and lower level clubs and frankly the parents of a lot of these kids are ******* their $ away.

Comment

the parents of a lot of these kids are ******* their $ away.
                      ... and have been for years and will continue to do so for years. Paying 3 grand for Johnny or Jenny to be on a club's C or D team or not even playing is doing those kids a huge disservice, while lining pockets of club owners. Get a clue, parents!

Comment

... and have been for years and will continue to do so for years. Paying 3 grand for Johnny or Jenny to be on a club's C or D team or not even playing is doing those kids a huge disservice, while lining pockets of club owners. Get a clue, parents!
                        It's not as easy as that. If you don't live in a town with a solid program, what are you supposed to do for a kid that loves soccer and is a decent player?

Comment

It's not as easy as that. If you don't live in a town with a solid program, what are you supposed to do for a kid that loves soccer and is a decent player?
                          Good point.

Comment

There's lots of "decent" players out there. The question is do they really want club? Do they need club - especially higher level club, or is higher level club even appropriate for that player? The one good thing about so many clubs out there is there are lots of options for consumers to pick from. But start with how badly does your kid want it and what's the best fit for them.

Also, some towns do allow kids from other towns to play or at least they did. It's been ages since my kids did town but I think ours could have two outside players.

Comment

There's lots of "decent" players out there. The question is do they really want club? Do they need club - especially higher level club, or is higher level club even appropriate for that player? The one good thing about so many clubs out there is there are lots of options for consumers to pick from. But start with how badly does your kid want it and what's the best fit for them.

Also, some towns do allow kids from other towns to play or at least they did. It's been ages since my kids did town but I think ours could have two outside players.
                              Not suggesting that a B+ player in a poor town program should go join FSA. But they would be served better by even playing on a B team of a mid-level program.

It should not be so expensive for that player to find better soccer, but it is and parents can't control that. They can only decide if there is value in it for their kid.

This is my town. Our travel team is barely above recreational. The surrounding towns are better, but its parent coaches reliving their glory days, so if you could get them to take you its not markedly better. The top 10-20% of each age group here are now playing for mid-level clubs instead, in some cases on B teams. Even that is an upgrade in quality of teammate, coaching and competition. It just costs alot, but there is no alternative if your kid wants those upgrades.

Comment

it's all where you live. just like schools. I've seen some town teams that would take down all but the top age-group premier/elite teams. But then they break up around 11 or 12 and that's that. Just the way it is.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X