Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Huh? You think that an Ivy would offer better long term job prospects yet you steer your player away?
    Yea, I also want her to enjoy her 4 years and I think IVY might be more of an academic grind.I suspect a degree from an ACC school will also net opportunity, just not to the same degree. We spend all of our post college life working, I hope she can enjoy the college experience, get a degree, play soccer, meet people.

Comment

The academics load really depends on WHICH Ivy. Princeton, the workload is tough. Harvard, the hardest part is getting in.
      Also really depends on which ACC school. Some are much more academically challenging than others.

Comment

I don't think it's any more of a grind at an Ivy then at other high academic D1 schools.
        It varies so much by student, major etc so there's hard and fast rules really. Ivy travel isn't quite as bad ACC.

But watch some Ivy games - yes there's some players that could play in the ACC but not all by stretch. Nor could many ACC players get into an Ivy. An Ivy student may be more academically driven in their choice vs an ACC player more driven by the competition. This one-or-the-other argument isn't going to apply to many players at all.

Comment

Yea, I also want her to enjoy her 4 years and I think IVY might be more of an academic grind.I suspect a degree from an ACC school will also net opportunity, just not to the same degree. We spend all of our post college life working, I hope she can enjoy the college experience, get a degree, play soccer, meet people.
          Graduate from just about any of those ACC schools with an employable major and good grades? You'll be just fine. Those schools also have big alumni networks and aren't exactly academic slouches. Where you went matters more in the first 1-2 years; after that it's all about what you do on the job.

Comment

Huh? You think that an Ivy would offer better long term job prospects yet you steer your player away?
            I did as well. I heard horror stories about quality of life and academics at ivy. Depending on your major and the sports program, it can be very hard.

Comment

It varies so much by student, major etc so there's hard and fast rules really. Ivy travel isn't quite as bad ACC.

But watch some Ivy games - yes there's some players that could play in the ACC but not all by stretch. Nor could many ACC players get into an Ivy. An Ivy student may be more academically driven in their choice vs an ACC player more driven by the competition. This one-or-the-other argument isn't going to apply to many players at all.
              Agree 100%. Plus in Ivy no scholly if kid is looking for some dough in return for hard work put in.

Comment

what's a better choice for a top soccer player/ high academic?
                Ah, let’s see - one of the beat college degrees in the world which helps set you up for the rest of your life or playing a game at a higher level for 4 years. Only in the twisted world of youth sports is there really a question. Unless your daughter personally prefers a particular school in which case that’s all that matters.

Comment

Sure take advise from TS. Are you insane?
                  Yes. About 3 or 4 MA players have the skill to play (vs collect splinters) at that level. Delusional nutter parents missed the boat that sailed for their kid years ago.

Comment

Ah, let’s see - one of the beat college degrees in the world which helps set you up for the rest of your life or playing a game at a higher level for 4 years. Only in the twisted world of youth sports is there really a question. Unless your daughter personally prefers a particular school in which case that’s all that matters.
                    If you are in the salary range that just barely puts you out of any but minimal financial aid at an Ivy but simply can’t afford the 80k+ per year tuition, you’ll be forced to pick ACC or somewhere else where they can get merit aid and athletic aid to help with the exorbitant cost of college. Know first hand. That Ivy name lasts a lifetime (and generations with legacy admissions) but, sadly, it just wasn’t doable for our family. If money had been no problem, it would have been an easy choice for us and mine be at an Ivy right now.

Comment

Yes. About 3 or 4 MA players have the skill to play (vs collect splinters) at that level. Delusional nutter parents missed the boat that sailed for their kid years ago.
                      At what level? What are you talking about? You are saying on 3 or 4 kids in the state can play in the ACC?
                      You are either the parent of one of those 3 or 4 and you think you're special or you're bitter because your kid isn't good enough. Either way you couldn't be more wrong.

I'm not delusional at all. I know my D is a bottom of the roster ACC player - so she's not pursuing those schools. She looking for high academic and decent soccer where she can play and not ride the bench.

But some of her teammates and girls a year ahead and a year younger are TOP prospects for schools like UNC, Clemson, UCLA, Stanford, UVA.

Comment

Only ivy schools can set you on the path to a successful life. Got it.
                        That Chapel Hill degree will get you no where. Those west coasters that choose Stanford as well. Fools.

Comment

Most know that playing high level sports in college can open as many doors.

Comment

Only ivy schools can set you on the path to a successful life. Got it.
                            That Chapel Hill degree will get you no where. Those west coasters that choose Stanford as well. Fools.
                            Hahaha. Correct.

Comment

If you are in the salary range that just barely puts you out of any but minimal financial aid at an Ivy but simply can’t afford the 80k+ per year tuition, you’ll be forced to pick ACC or somewhere else where they can get merit aid and athletic aid to help with the exorbitant cost of college. Know first hand. That Ivy name lasts a lifetime (and generations with legacy admissions) but, sadly, it just wasn’t doable for our family. If money had been no problem, it would have been an easy choice for us and mine be at an Ivy right now.
                              omg "any ivy lasts a lifetime." Plenty of Ivy grads aren't exactly world beaters. Plenty of grads from UVA, Duke, GA Tech are. Once you're out the door of an institution your resume and ability to sell yourself is what matters.

Besides, like someone pointed out, few kids will have the soccer chops for ACC from this area in any given year - or 2-3 years.

Financially yes plenty of soccer families make too much to qualify for Ivy financial aid so the lack of any FA/Merit/Athletic puts it out of reach for many. But by and large few Ivy level players will be getting many looks from ACC teams. They will from other top academic D1s outside ACC, as well as top D3s.

Comment

At what level? What are you talking about? You are saying on 3 or 4 kids in the state can play in the ACC?
                                You are either the parent of one of those 3 or 4 and you think you're special or you're bitter because your kid isn't good enough. Either way you couldn't be more wrong.

I'm not delusional at all. I know my D is a bottom of the roster ACC player - so she's not pursuing those schools. She looking for high academic and decent soccer where she can play and not ride the bench.

But some of her teammates and girls a year ahead and a year younger are TOP prospects for schools like UNC, Clemson, UCLA, Stanford, UVA.
                                "top prospects"? Nothing is final until they've got an offer in hand. Lots of kids supposedly "get interest" from those schools and wind up at programs nowhere near that.

A small sampling of this year's class. Boys isn't much better not even from MLS. Lots of good schools, but few great soccer programs. If the state sent five kids to those top programs it would be an exceptional year. In the end the school is what matters anyway.

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/sear...rtDirections=1

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X