Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mostly focused on the girls side?

Hey all, new to this message board. My son is an 07 and plays travel. After peeking around a little seems like most of the chatter on here is about girls soccer. Yes / no?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hey all, new to this message board. My son is an 07 and plays travel. After peeking around a little seems like most of the chatter on here is about girls soccer. Yes / no?
    Yes. Mostly. I have been on this board for a year and still don't know why. I guess it's easier for girls to enter colleges through soccer?

Comment

Yes. Mostly. I have been on this board for a year and still don't know why. I guess it's easier for girls to enter colleges through soccer?
      Thats' a big part of it - more college spots and money available to women vs men which makes some parents a little nuts. With about 100 more female D1 teams and 14 scholarships to split vs 9.9 for men, some parents think their 13 year old daughter will get a full ride to Duke. Here's a tip: full rides are still rare in women's soccer but there's solid money if you target well. Another hint: few players around here get recruited for the ACC.

Anyway to the thread op - did you have a specific boy's soccer question?

Comment

Thats' a big part of it - more college spots and money available to women vs men which makes some parents a little nuts. With about 100 more female D1 teams and 14 scholarships to split vs 9.9 for men, some parents think their 13 year old daughter will get a full ride to Duke. Here's a tip: full rides are still rare in women's soccer but there's solid money if you target well. Another hint: few players around here get recruited for the ACC.

Anyway to the thread op - did you have a specific boy's soccer question?
        Thanks for the explanation. I had no idea. We play soccer and eventually get into academy simply because we earned the spot. We have never thought about using it for college entries.

That being said, is it worthwhile to be in an academy, as a boy, if we aren’t really interested in being recruited? It is quite a commitment time wise and all the club is talking about now is recruiting. While it gives the kid some bragging right to his friends in HS, I am skeptical if it is worthwhile. His GPA is very solid (4.0 unweighted) and can easily gets into top schools through his academic accomplishments.

Comment

This is interesting...
          For my boy, getting recruited for college wasn't in his radar when moving to an academy. He just wanted to play with better teams to learn from teammates.

Comment

Bring your d to MF Shore. To be honest, if you take her anywhere else your just wasting your time. We have what it takes to be #1. All the other clubs just take your money. We are the shore.... It's a Shore thing!

Comment

The college money keeps people engaged at a high level longer. The fact that theres not much $ for boys and that by 12-13 you know the pro dream is unrealistic means boy parents get less crazy. Boy parents are generally insane at the really young ages. Girl parents just stay crazy (yes, i am one).

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. I had no idea. We play soccer and eventually get into academy simply because we earned the spot. We have never thought about using it for college entries.

That being said, is it worthwhile to be in an academy, as a boy, if we aren’t really interested in being recruited? It is quite a commitment time wise and all the club is talking about now is recruiting. While it gives the kid some bragging right to his friends in HS, I am skeptical if it is worthwhile. His GPA is very solid (4.0 unweighted) and can easily gets into top schools through his academic accomplishments.
                If
                - he wants to play at a higher level
                - doesn't care about playing high school
                - you have money to burn

Then sure go for it, I guess? If money is an issue and he has no interest in playing in college then at least check out other local options that cost less and you won't require weekends in the car. The soccer might not be quite as good but he'd have more fun, and be able to play for his HS

Also FYI a 4.0 these days doesn't get you into "top" schools

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X