Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Being in youth soccer for so long (from U8 to U15 now) and with several clubs, honesty means nothing in this business and even if you are being honest, they'll always second guess anyway.

I'd say explore all options you have to delay the acceptance of the offer. Some clubs allow you to mail the check so you can accept the offer and indicate that you are going to mail the check. Like some posts said, if the players are high on the list, they'll always wait anyway. In addition, it is true that the "second-day" tryout is just a show. If the player is definitely going to get an offer, you should have one right after the first day tryout. This is especially true for older age groups (U14+). If your player is older and you haven't heard anything from the club after the first day, chances are they're taking a wait-and-see attitude and hoping better turnout on the second day.

There are probably club owners and coaches reading this and I feel no shame of telling parents to hold on to their money as clubs take no accountabilty putting new players, likely not paying, in the mid-season, when paid players are sitting on the bench. Not to mention they charge parents with average players while give "scholarship" to high prospect players, who are not necessarily poorer but more talented. Parents are ended up paying fees for OTHER players AND get LESS play time for their daughters or sons. Again, clubs or coaches feel no shame of taking parents for suckers. Nor do I have any guilt delaying the acceptance.

It's just business, like they always say and it truly is.

Good luck.
    This parent is way down the rabbit hole head first. A decision of where your daughter plays club soccer should be mostly her decision. This type of parent thinks they are in control of the situation which sends a warning sign to every DOC & coach in NJ. When it comes to soccer in NJ the soccer landscape is smaller than you think. Every noteworthy player is known throughout the state by the big clubs. This parent is making this decision based on what they want and not what’s in the best interests of their daughter/player. Just reading the above post let’s you know that their reputation will be known to everyone as well as colleges if the opportunity presents itself. That line “it’s just business “ makes me thing this person has watched The Godfather too many times during this pandemic. It’s not business when picking the right club for your daughter, it’s her life. Don’t ruin her soccer experience or her chances to play in college if she wants.

Comment

You see, the fact that you said several leads me to believe you may be known as a club hopper. Honesty has always worked for us but also D is a talented starter so when we were in this situation the lower level club that had tryouts first was fine with waiting as they knew it was a big choice for her.

If you lie to the 2nd choice coach or hold off and then take the 1st choice offer you look like an @ss. If for some reason D doesn't like it or can't crack the starters or is replaced mid-season you no longer have that 2nd choice team. Plus, even with all the animosity between coaches and clubs someone always talks. Soccer in NJ isn't big enough to hide anything in.
      You first discredit my statement by calling me a club hopper. Well done. What you may not know is, when you have 3-4 children playing soccer, you end up having to be with several clubs as you want to find the best for each of them.

Sure you can always be honest if your player happen to be very talented. Hope the OP also has a talented player as well.

The last time I heard honesty works in this country is from our presidential candidates. Guess that work well for all of us. Just saying.

Comment

For the abhorent practice of holding tryouts in early April, we paid Liverpool nj in Kohl's cash

Comment

You first discredit my statement by calling me a club hopper. Well done. What you may not know is, when you have 3-4 children playing soccer, you end up having to be with several clubs as you want to find the best for each of them.

Sure you can always be honest if your player happen to be very talented. Hope the OP also has a talented player as well.

The last time I heard honesty works in this country is from our presidential candidates. Guess that work well for all of us. Just saying.
          Don't listen to that guy. Even if you are a club hopper who cares. These clubs are a business and you are shopping. In your situation it does help if your kid is good. If the club wants her they will wait. Clubs are desperate to get good kids in, don't let them fool you. If Matchfit is one of these club do yourslef a favor and run.

Comment

I just had the same dilemma and both clubs came back hours after and offered the spot. If it is taking days then they are not sold on your D and know someone better is coming.

Comment

I just had the same dilemma and both clubs came back hours after and offered the spot. If it is taking days then they are not sold on your D and know someone better is coming.
              **** both clubs and come to where the winners play, MF Shore!

Comment

Very true. One of my kids is a top player in his team so he receives offers pretty much right away. The younger one always has to wait for his offer.

Comment

They are waiting until after May 1st so they can offer spots to other ECNL players.

Comment

Don't listen to that guy. Even if you are a club hopper who cares. These clubs are a business and you are shopping. In your situation it does help if your kid is good. If the club wants her they will wait. Clubs are desperate to get good kids in, don't let them fool you. If Matchfit is one of these club do yourslef a favor and run.
                    Everyone that has come to this page should read the above post. From the first word “Don’t” to the last word “run”. Anyone who gives any thought to what this person says will get what they deserve. This is supposed to be about “talking-soccer” and pick up the experiences of others. Anyone who follows this persons advice will regret it. The paragraph speaks for itself.

Comment

General rule of thumb is if a club really wants your kid - they think they'll be a top starter - they''ll be willing to wait a few days. They know how this circus works. If your kid is interchangeable with several others they already have or who have tried out, they probably won't. But that also doesn't mean the spot is gone forever because others may turn down spots also.

Tell them you're not turning it down, you're waiting to hear (and do not tell them what club it is either) and that willing to take your chances and if it is gone later, so be it. That often times makes them blink ;) and suddenly they give you a few more days.

Comment

Will they say something if they aren’t interested or is it just radio silent?

Comment

That’s where the “honesty” comes in: they will hold all the cards until they are sure that they don’t need your daughter to fill their roster.

Oh wait, but they don’t expect you to respond in 24 hours.

Like I said, last time I checked, honesty didn’t work so well.

Comment

If a club wants your kid you should get an offer quickly. Some will delay to see who accepts their first round(s) of offers. It doesn't mean you're out of the running but its clear you're not a top pick. Some clubs will say "all offers will be out by coming date " but some are poorly run and never tell you anything. It's not that hard to send an email saying "Thank you for your interest but we are unable to offer your player a spot at this time." I feel bad for kids that are left hanging and hoping.

Comment

If a club wants your kid you should get an offer quickly. Some will delay to see who accepts their first round(s) of offers. It doesn't mean you're out of the running but its clear you're not a top pick. Some clubs will say "all offers will be out by coming date " but some are poorly run and never tell you anything. It's not that hard to send an email saying "Thank you for your interest but we are unable to offer your player a spot at this time." I feel bad for kids that are left hanging and hoping.
                              Just call the first club and ask where your kid stands.

Comment

Just call the first club and ask where your kid stands.

True: Match fit and PDA pretty much tell you right a way, World class likes to wait until tryout are over. Different strokes for different folks

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X