Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Think of the club as a platform. Do we think the Sounders develop players and thats why they are the most prolific team in the last decade? Brian Schmetzer should be coaching at Barcelona?

Yes, coaches have influence. But a great coach cant make a team with players that lack talent and athleticism great.

Maybe 10% is a bit stingy, but the best coaches take the talent they are given and put the team in a position in which it can succeed. I’d say a coaches most important characteristic is talent identification, not talent development.

Pulisic didnt come from some great club that year after year develops talent. And before you say his dad was a coach, name one other player Mark Pulisic developed.

Maybe Dortmund or Ajax...

We dont have anything even remotely close in the US. Not Dallas FC, not LA Galaxy... and definitely not a local club that has no motivation to develop talent.
    I appreciate this response...But let's also consider how many bad coaches discourage athletes, even those with talent, athleticism etc. Basic "development" comes down to positivity, encouragement, and creating an atmosphere that encourages every athlete to strive to improve. That's really what that article is about...Club soccer so rarely creates that positive atmosphere, let alone teaching actual soccer skills.

People on this thread keep saying your kid won't play college if you don't pursue training outside the club...I have multiple kids playing various college sports/committed and we didn't do anything extra in terms of private coaching. Those things can certainly be helpful but you can't "create" an elite athlete with any kind of coaching or training if the innate ability and drive isn't there. But negative coaching and a negative team experience can kill a young athlete's potential faster than anything

I'm seeing a few soccer clubs around the country moving to no tryouts/no cuts and all development. They are playing in top competitive leagues but it will interesting to see if any promising/notable players come out of that initiative

Comment

I appreciate this response...But let's also consider how many bad coaches discourage athletes, even those with talent, athleticism etc. Basic "development" comes down to positivity, encouragement, and creating an atmosphere that encourages every athlete to strive to improve. That's really what that article is about...Club soccer so rarely creates that positive atmosphere, let alone teaching actual soccer skills.

People on this thread keep saying your kid won't play college if you don't pursue training outside the club...I have multiple kids playing various college sports/committed and we didn't do anything extra in terms of private coaching. Those things can certainly be helpful but you can't "create" an elite athlete with any kind of coaching or training if the innate ability and drive isn't there. But negative coaching and a negative team experience can kill a young athlete's potential faster than anything

I'm seeing a few soccer clubs around the country moving to no tryouts/no cuts and all development. They are playing in top competitive leagues but it will interesting to see if any promising/notable players come out of that initiative
      Hmmm, didnt say they needed private coaching, but i can see how you might come to that conclusion - and maybe someone else me tioned that. Its about developing outside of club.

The characteristics of a good coach/clib that you mention are table stakes, though i recognize that is not always the case.

My guess is that your children are physically gifted? Or are dedicated in their training outside of club.

You dont go to 3 practices a week and become elite.

While a club may say they are no tryout, no cut, do they not have a top team at an age group? Or do they just mix all the kids up regardless of skill, ability, athleticism? While a club can say they are all about development and no cut/no tryout, in my mind this is just a money grab.

Unless they are going to enter the best of best at surf cup with a randomly assembled team, its all bs.

Comment

Hmmm, didnt say they needed private coaching, but i can see how you might come to that conclusion - and maybe someone else me tioned that. Its about developing outside of club.

The characteristics of a good coach/clib that you mention are table stakes, though i recognize that is not always the case.

My guess is that your children are physically gifted? Or are dedicated in their training outside of club.

While a club may say they are no tryout, no cut, do they not have a top team at an age group? Or do they just mix all the kids up regardless of skill, ability, athleticism? While a club can say they are all about development and no cut/no tryout, in my mind this is just a money grab.

Unless they are going to enter the best of best at surf cup with a randomly assembled team, its all bs.
        I think I made a typo in my earlier post. I'm not sure that any non-tryout clubs are competing at a high level. It's just something I heard folks on twitter talking about -- coaches/clubs in different areas around the country giving it a try. I thought it was interesting. Maybe not ideal for building the winningest team but if your goal to develop players and create lifelong soccer fans, maybe

I don't want to say too much about my kids because this board is crazy but yes, my kids are gifted athletes, but they also had coaches at various times who did make a huge difference, as well as dud coaches. Rejected for EPD and yet all committed to their personal dream colleges and have been recognized for sports in other ways, though never considered among the top top players in this area. I honestly think the biggest factor for all of them was playing pick up soccer every single day at lunch throughout elementary school -- lots of touches and figuring things out without a coach around, which was their choice of fun vs parents pushing them to practice

Comment

Dads, it will all end very soon. There is a hard stop date for club soccer and high school soccer. For most kids, this is the last time they will play organized soccer. A few will continue to play varsity in college and some will still play in club and intramural.

Meaning it is ok to let go and enjoy it. Nurture vs nature arguments. Come on. Chicken vs. Egg. My ulittle doing cartwheels during games is now a big, young lady about to leave
          the nest. F*ck soccer. Living life rules. Good luck.

Comment

Dads, it will all end very soon. There is a hard stop date for club soccer and high school soccer. For most kids, this is the last time they will play organized soccer. A few will continue to play varsity in college and some will still play in club and intramural.

Meaning it is ok to let go and enjoy it. Nurture vs nature arguments. Come on. Chicken vs. Egg. My ulittle doing cartwheels during games is now a big, young lady about to leave
            the nest. F*ck soccer. Living life rules. Good luck.
            No lies detected

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X