Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it hard to do a STEM degree and play D1 soccer at a high academic university?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    And no one else in the world besides crazy soccer parents even knows or cares that one is d1 and one is d3.
    Most don't even know the difference let alone care

Comment

Thank you. My older is used to the grind and has close to a D1 schedule now with elite club and elite high school academics. Covid or getting older hasn’t dampened her love of soccer, but has increased her desire to have a more classic and “fun” undergrad experience before grad school and a stem career. Her club coach is angry with her because she has turned down D1 offers but I’m proud of her for looking for a better fit. She’s realizing she probably can’t have it all but is now leaning more towards finding her favorite colleges based on academics and student life first and then see if the soccer piece works out. Elite club soccer pushes the D1 at whichever D! at all costs so it’s hard to break out of that bubble. Reading about experiences of others on here is helping give her outside the bubble information from players who have been down the confusing college path already.
      Elite club soccer pushes the D1 at whichever D! at all costs so it’s hard to break out of that bubble.

Parents allow this, buying in to the notion that D1=the best soccer. Its very easy to just do your research and make the best decision for your kid/family. Clubs follow an agenda that benefits them, parents/kids should do the same. Use the parts you can leverage and ignore the rest.

Comment

P5 conferences aside, there isn’t a whole lot of difference between experiences playing for Colgate or Middlebury. Just a whole lot of boring bus trips.
        Hmmm I know a player going to each and there is a HUGE difference between them.

Comment

Hmmm I know a player going to each and there is a HUGE difference between them.
          Between what? The players or the program.

Comment

I’ve never heard a club coach push D1 over D3 or vice versa.The kids know exactly where the better kids play and who sucks or is overrated.They also know where they would like to attend school in city or suburb large or small school .Some choose D3 because they think their major demands it and that’s great for them.Good D1 schools realize this and work with the athletes to address any needs issues.Go where your kid is happiest ,it’s all the matters.

Comment

I’ve never heard a club coach push D1 over D3 or vice versa.The kids know exactly where the better kids play and who sucks or is overrated.They also know where they would like to attend school in city or suburb large or small school .Some choose D3 because they think their major demands it and that’s great for them.Good D1 schools realize this and work with the athletes to address any needs issues.Go where your kid is happiest ,it’s all the matters.
              Our club (ecnl) definitely pushes d1. If a player commits anywhere besides d1, the other players tease them. Don’t agree with it but that’s the environment. Agree with you that the division doesnt matter, happiness is all that matters.

Comment

P5 conferences aside, there isn’t a whole lot of difference between experiences playing for Colgate or Middlebury. Just a whole lot of boring bus trips.
                Exactly!

Comment

Our club (ecnl) definitely pushes d1. If a player commits anywhere besides d1, the other players tease them. Don’t agree with it but that’s the environment. Agree with you that the division doesnt matter, happiness is all that matters.
                  Does the club think that helps them somehow? They need to pay better attention. Lots of parents are scrolling the commit lists looking for academic excellence. Many are not concerned a wit about D1 vs D3.

These clubs are not understanding their demographic if they are discouraging players or not assisting them with high academic D3 recruiting. They will lose business to clubs that gave a lot of recruits to those schools.

Comment

Does the club think that helps them somehow? They need to pay better attention. Lots of parents are scrolling the commit lists looking for academic excellence. Many are not concerned a wit about D1 vs D3.

These clubs are not understanding their demographic if they are discouraging players or not assisting them with high academic D3 recruiting. They will lose business to clubs that gave a lot of recruits to those schools.
                    And I say parents because the parents are choosing where to bring their players.

And if 16, 17, 18 year old players are teasing a teammate about a college choice..***? That sounds like middle school ages not kids heading to college. What club full of immature kids us that?

Comment

And I say parents because the parents are choosing where to bring their players.

And if 16, 17, 18 year old players are teasing a teammate about a college choice..***? That sounds like middle school ages not kids heading to college. What club full of immature kids us that?
                      Rather not say. Not all the players but, sadly, the best player was the worst about that. Other players and coaches don’t put a stop to it because they don’t want to piss off the star. Not in the gossipy parent group but probably goes on there too. Silly.

Comment

Rather not say. Not all the players but, sadly, the best player was the worst about that. Other players and coaches don’t put a stop to it because they don’t want to piss off the star. Not in the gossipy parent group but probably goes on there too. Silly.
                        Sounds like mine is earlier in the process but.... if after all we have been through...if at recruiting time, my player's club does not support her choices of where to try to go...we are going to have a problem.

Comment

Sounds like mine is earlier in the process but.... if after all we have been through...if at recruiting time, my player's club does not support her choices of where to try to go...we are going to have a problem.
                          And I just don't see the players teasing each other at all. But if that happens it won't be anything they didn't learn how to handle in middle school.

Comment

Bitchiness continues well into high school and even beyond, especially if you get 1-2 players with big egos and bully-like personalities. Doesn't happen everywhere but it can get nasty when it does. Parents and coaches often don't even know it's happening until something blows up.

Comment

Thank God I have a boy!

Comment

Thank God I have a boy!
                                lol I have both and some stereotypes do hold true. My D has to deal with a lot more girl drama with teams and in general. Boys usually let it roll off their backs and move on.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X