Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power 5 and not play or go to non Power 5?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Truth. Best academics where they won’t warm the bench. Get a good education and enjoy playing the beautiful game.
    Devils advocate, but does the soccer part not impact education? I thought it was ALL about that?

Comment

Devils advocate, but does the soccer part not impact education? I thought it was ALL about that?
      Unless you’re going pro and planning on soccer as your career, soccer is a fun extracurricular activity. Unless you need the soccer scholarship money and then soccer is your job that helps pay for college. And sure, any extracurricular has an impact on your education. The positive impacts are many but if the negative impacts are interfering too much with school, I’d drop soccer.

Comment

Unless you’re going pro and planning on soccer as your career, soccer is a fun extracurricular activity. Unless you need the soccer scholarship money and then soccer is your job that helps pay for college. And sure, any extracurricular has an impact on your education. The positive impacts are many but if the negative impacts are interfering too much with school, I’d drop soccer.
        Agree. The lessons playing in a high-level, team-oriented environment can be learned from various locations/teams, etc. Learning to rely on others, sacrificing to achieve a team goal, working hard toward success, etc. are all vital in the working world, but are achievable without being on a P5 club.

Your done after senior year anyway.

Comment

It should be. 99.999% won't go pro and college really isn't the track for most pro players (especially men's). If you can use your skills to leverage a quality education and get some $ for it, great, go for it but not if it starts to negatively impact your learning (D1 athletes do get a lot of academic support through which helps). It's a tough grind and some just aren't up for it.

Comment

It should be. 99.999% won't go pro and college really isn't the track for most pro players (especially men's). If you can use your skills to leverage a quality education and get some $ for it, great, go for it but not if it starts to negatively impact your learning (D1 athletes do get a lot of academic support through which helps). It's a tough grind and some just aren't up for it.
            Sure, but my response to the OP was based on his criteria of not warming bench. Why not warm the bench at a great academic school if that is what got you in? Is it a "better" decision to start for UVA or sit on the bench at Duke?

Comment

Sure, but my response to the OP was based on his criteria of not warming bench. Why not warm the bench at a great academic school if that is what got you in? Is it a "better" decision to start for UVA or sit on the bench at Duke?
              The two schools are very close academically so that's not really a question - assuming the student athlete liked both the same probably all would take the offer where they will play. UVA/Duke vs Syracuse is a bigger academic gap where the play vs sit question is quite different.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X