Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NE Revs for real

Should we start taking this Revs team more seriously? They are on fire. Will this be the year they'll finally go all the way...?

We should, but I'm guessing we won't. The thread will either be ignored or be hijacked by club on club bashing, snobbery from the "only UEFA matters" crowd, political inanity, pro/rel arguments, and all the other ways this board has figured out how to not talk soccer

But I'll try...they just seem to be one of those teams with that "it" quality. They keep figuring out ways on most nights to get a result. Carles Gil is a pleasure to watch, his skill and vision is unlike anything the Revs have really ever had. He might have been just another guy when he was playing in England and Spain, but in MLS he's a wizard. Buksa and Bou have both found their stride and are getting themselves regular chances to score. Traustason is getting his bearings. Jones and Bye continue to improve. Bunbury is much better as a depth piece than as a regular starter. Farrell with Kessler and/or Bell has been a reliable center back group. And of course can't forget Turner and Buchanan - what they've done with the Revs and their national teams speaks for itself. The team has depth all over the place and they actually seem to be doing things right as an organization for the most part, at least from the Revs II and Revs perspective. I've followed them for their entire existence and I'm really enjoying this season so far.

Comment

Better to keep the long running thread up top. It would be a good reminder of how bad it was (if they actually so turn it around).

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        We should, but I'm guessing we won't. The thread will either be ignored or be hijacked by club on club bashing, snobbery from the "only UEFA matters" crowd, political inanity, pro/rel arguments, and all the other ways this board has figured out how to not talk soccer

But I'll try...they just seem to be one of those teams with that "it" quality. They keep figuring out ways on most nights to get a result. Carles Gil is a pleasure to watch, his skill and vision is unlike anything the Revs have really ever had. He might have been just another guy when he was playing in England and Spain, but in MLS he's a wizard. Buksa and Bou have both found their stride and are getting themselves regular chances to score. Traustason is getting his bearings. Jones and Bye continue to improve. Bunbury is much better as a depth piece than as a regular starter. Farrell with Kessler and/or Bell has been a reliable center back group. And of course can't forget Turner and Buchanan - what they've done with the Revs and their national teams speaks for itself. The team has depth all over the place and they actually seem to be doing things right as an organization for the most part, at least from the Revs II and Revs perspective. I've followed them for their entire existence and I'm really enjoying this season so far.
        Not here to hijack or bash, but just want to say that I cannot take this club seriously until they have their own stadium. Tired of hearing that the owners have plans, that they have tried, etc. Where there is a will there is a way. I feel ashamed every time another club in the MLS opens a brand new stadium while the Revs still have to play at Gillette. Build them a proper stadium and I'll buy season tickets for my family. Till then, good luck to them.

Comment

Not here to hijack or bash, but just want to say that I cannot take this club seriously until they have their own stadium. Tired of hearing that the owners have plans, that they have tried, etc. Where there is a will there is a way. I feel ashamed every time another club in the MLS opens a brand new stadium while the Revs still have to play at Gillette. Build them a proper stadium and I'll buy season tickets for my family. Till then, good luck to them.
          Won't ever happen with the current ownership. Obviously Kraft isn't a soccer guy. This was an investment opportunity for him, little else. Building a stadium is big $ that he doesn't want to lay out.

Comment

Won't ever happen with the current ownership. Obviously Kraft isn't a soccer guy. This was an investment opportunity for him, little else. Building a stadium is big $ that he doesn't want to lay out.
            and one that taxpayers shouldn't be paying for either. So many of those development deals benefit no one but the owners.

Comment

and one that taxpayers shouldn't be paying for either. So many of those development deals benefit no one but the owners.
              I don't disagree... but tell me again how was Gillette stadium built?

Comment

And that's why it's difficult to support this team. No passion at the top.

Comment

Some states and voters are pushing back on massive deals for stadiums. The Buffalo Bills are battling right now over a new stadium they want 100% paid for by someone else. Needless to say people are pissed and ownership is taking a lot of heat. How much support from taxpayers can a soccer team get?

https://buffalonews.com/news/state-a...daa70c27c.html

Comment

The stadium was paid for privately, public funds contributed to surrounding infrastructure. Now of course that's the simple public story and I have no idea who's rubbing who's nuts behind the scenes and what kinds of sweetheart property tax arrangements there are and kickbacks and all that jazz.

Comment

The fact that MLS gave the Kraft family ownership of a soccer team... tells you all you need to know about the MLS itself. Sad.

Comment

The fact that MLS gave the Kraft family ownership of a soccer team... tells you all you need to know about the MLS itself. Sad.
                        What does this even mean? When MLS was trying to get going back in the 1990s, were they not supposed to get investment from people with, you know, money? Was there someone else with a stadium, money and an interest in investing in MLS that I'm forgetting about?

There's been a lot to criticize the organization for in regards to the way they have operated the team - in all facets - for most of their history. But things have shown a lot of evolution over the last 2-3 years. I'm cautiously optimistic about the short and long term for the team. If someone other than the Krafts wants to buy it and build a stadium in Boston, fine by me. But I don't see that happening any time soon, if ever. And I'm happy they invested in it. For all the flaws, I'm happy to have the Revs to root for, and the 2021 team is definitely worth supporting IMO.

Comment

What does this even mean? When MLS was trying to get going back in the 1990s, were they not supposed to get investment from people with, you know, money? Was there someone else with a stadium, money and an interest in investing in MLS that I'm forgetting about?

There's been a lot to criticize the organization for in regards to the way they have operated the team - in all facets - for most of their history. But things have shown a lot of evolution over the last 2-3 years. I'm cautiously optimistic about the short and long term for the team. If someone other than the Krafts wants to buy it and build a stadium in Boston, fine by me. But I don't see that happening any time soon, if ever. And I'm happy they invested in it. For all the flaws, I'm happy to have the Revs to root for, and the 2021 team is definitely worth supporting IMO.
                          What I meant is that the MLS should never give ownership to a family that 1. Knows nothing about the sport 2. Has no passion for the sport.

So yes, if that meant no team in the region, so be it. That would have been better than the totally uninspiring club/team we have been treated with for so many years. It shows... average attendance is around 16,000. There are more than enough soccer fans in the region to fill that stadium... but why would people be interested in the club to begin with?

I'm hopeful about the future as well, but I've come to the conclusion that with this ownership, I might not be alive to see it. I realize that you don't agree with me and that's fine.

Comment

What I meant is that the MLS should never give ownership to a family that 1. Knows nothing about the sport 2. Has no passion for the sport.

So yes, if that meant no team in the region, so be it. That would have been better than the totally uninspiring club/team we have been treated with for so many years. It shows... average attendance is around 16,000. There are more than enough soccer fans in the region to fill that stadium... but why would people be interested in the club to begin with?

I'm hopeful about the future as well, but I've come to the conclusion that with this ownership, I might not be alive to see it. I realize that you don't agree with me and that's fine.
                            Even the top flight world leagues, EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga, etc have non-soccer ownership.
                            LiverpoolFC was almost run into the ground by Gillette and Hicks, 2 stupid Texans with more money than brains.
                            Even Fenway Group know little about the game re: Super league fiasco
                            But they should step up and buy the Revs if they want to be taken seriously in the sport

Comment

Columbus OH just opened their brand new soccer facility, but they don't have a collection of other major league pro sports teams. How did they do it? Ownership working with locals to create a plan that benefited all, multiple teams, venues etc. Ironically their opening game was against the Revs. Kansas City has a similar soccer/multi use venue.

"About thirty months ago, MLS announced the Edwards and Haslam families would be investing in MLS soccer and the Columbus Crew,” Dee Haslam said. “Twenty months ago, we were out here breaking ground for the stadium which would become Lower.com Field. A little over six months ago we hoisted the MLS Cup championship at historic Crew Stadium. Here we are today.”

https://www.dispatch.com/story/sport...ns/7796169002/

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X