Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Yep top talent. 5 or 6 players. Evaluate the rest honestly. It's why so many teams have little to no depth. Incumbents have spots for ever and new kids trying out that have talent are really never looked at honestly. Daughter plays FSA ecnl. We need help and occasionally talented players show up and must never get offers. Coaches are doing everything but watching.
    It’s exactly for this reason we tried out for FSA as soon as possible. As a kid this was my story, made the B team but never A despite stomping on the A team defense each practice scrimmage. Too much downside to scrambling things and at 11 years old those that felt threatened acted out on me at practice, there’s no way the A team coach could welcome me on to the team when some I swear literally hated me.

Comment

It's not. It's about volume of participation. Large china with high tryout numbers for already settled teams will have more people to disappoint than smaller clubs looking to boost teams from smaller tryout numbers. CFC, FSA, Oakwood, Beachside, etc, could easily see 60+kids for a single team. If tryout details are centrally processed through the club, that means a lot of individual emails to send out. Unless the coaches are full time, most coaches don't have time to chase that up, given that they also probably have to see new recruits through the sign up process too. It's a lot to do if coaching is only your side job. We went to a big club tryout 3 years ago and they called all parents together as the tryout was starting and explicitly said if we didn't hear within 48 hours, then we didn't make it. The coaches doing the tryouts weren't the actual coaches of the teams, and we didn't make the cut, but we kind of knew that already, we were just taking a chance to see where the kids stacked up. But I can well believe that the bigger the club, the bigger the numbers of rejections, and expecting a part-time coach to keep on top of that as well as everything else, seems a lot to ask.
      __________________________________________________ ______________
      Yea- no. Was not an open tryout or cattle call.

Specifically - The tryout was 3 weeks ago- players were invited by email from the Head Coach- he was the only evaluator. There were 15-16 kids trying out for 5-6 slots.

then no email or any other communication.

I get that the answer is no- I just don't agree that the etiquette should be so low that coaches just ghost people specifically invited to tryout. It's just rude.

Comment

Specifically - The tryout was 3 weeks ago- players were invited by email from the Head Coach- he was the only evaluator. There were 15-16 kids trying out for 5-6 slots.

I get that the answer is no- I just don't agree that the etiquette should be so low that coaches just ghost people specifically invited to tryout. It's just rude.
        Yes that few people there's little excuse, but these aren't buttoned up Harvard MBA types. Some coaches can barely write a coherent email at all.

Comment

Yes that few people there's little excuse, but these aren't buttoned up Harvard MBA types. Some coaches can barely write a coherent email at all.
          this is really the crux of it all. You're not dealing with the brightest people in a lot of cases, and this extends to the club ownership too.

Comment

Ha. With each successive DA and coach over the course of my son's playing, I was always amazed at how illiterate so many appeared to be. (I give passes to non-native English speakers though.)

Comment

In this case, then yes, they suck and everyone who showed up deserves better.

Comment

In this case, then yes, they suck and everyone who showed up deserves better.
                yes take it as a blessing/dodged bullet. Besides, almost no decent teams are doing tryouts in the summer. Their rosters were wrapped up ages ago.

Comment

yes take it as a blessing/dodged bullet. Besides, almost no decent teams are doing tryouts in the summer. Their rosters were wrapped up ages ago.
                  Haha was OW.....

Comment

Haha was OW.....
                    well, there ya go! It all makes sense. Rosters not final, lack of communication. As was said, a blessing in disguise

Comment

Haha was OW.....
                      There is not a more technically inept club on the planet (from coaches to the administrators). I am sure they still do everything on paper. Can't tell you how many times Betzi sent me an email a week or two after a check deadline looking for payment when I had already dropped off or mailed in a check about a month earlier. Sure enough in another several days or so, she would find and cash it.

Comment

There is not a more technically inept club on the planet (from coaches to the administrators). I am sure they still do everything on paper. Can't tell you how many times Betzi sent me an email a week or two after a check deadline looking for payment when I had already dropped off or mailed in a check about a month earlier. Sure enough in another several days or so, she would find and cash it.
                        Even funnier, when my kids were little (and older), it became humorous to see how many odds and end uniform parts they could distribute that were clearly whatever was remaining in their kit closet. XS socks for U13 players with Adult Large shorts, different sized jerseys, different sized shorts (way off in size) ..... one year jerseys with different numbers for one of them .... what a joke it was. Preferred Nike club .... i think that meant they got leftovers from nike cheap. It was like they bought kits on Expedia or Hotwire without knowing the details.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X