Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Should everyone who didn't win the Powerball be informed individually that they didn't win the Powerball?
    You mean for the illiterate people that can't read the numbers on the ticket?

Comment

Should everyone who didn't win the Powerball be informed individually that they didn't win the Powerball?
      This is a really poor comparison

Comment

You mean for the illiterate people that can't read the numbers on the ticket?
        Big swing and a miss there bro. Want to try again with a valid comparison?

Comment

It’s crazy how commonplace this sort of response (or lack of response) is becoming. If they didn’t get the job; just tell them.
          I would never do that to a person I had interviewed, but I guess my mother raised me right 😊. It takes no time at all. Same with club tryouts. Send out a BCC email to all the ones that didn't make it - doesn’t even have to be player or team specific - saying thank you for trying out...due to strong player interest we cannot give your player a spot...sincerely...

One time a friend of my Ds tried out for my Ds team. The friend just wasn't strong enough but really wanted the team. The coach totally ghosted the family. Then of course the parent asked me if I knew anything and the player asked my kid. We liked the coach but that left a bad impression.

Comment

Hey, at least OP isn't asking for "a detailed breakdown of my child's strengths and weaknesses and what he or she should focus on during the upcoming season." I see that type of request from time to time and can't wrap my head around that level of wishful thinking.

I'd guess maybe 150 kids were at FSA and CFC tryouts this spring. They probably took a dozen new kids. Parents want detailed analyses on 140 kids? LOL.

I don't know; I'm of the mind that if your kid didn't get that special training invite and offer before leaving the tryout field, what's the point of dropping $3k+ per year?

Comment

This is a really poor comparison
              It's not. It's about volume of participation. Large china with high tryout numbers for already settled teams will have more people to disappoint than smaller clubs looking to boost teams from smaller tryout numbers. CFC, FSA, Oakwood, Beachside, etc, could easily see 60+kids for a single team. If tryout details are centrally processed through the club, that means a lot of individual emails to send out. Unless the coaches are full time, most coaches don't have time to chase that up, given that they also probably have to see new recruits through the sign up process too. It's a lot to do if coaching is only your side job. We went to a big club tryout 3 years ago and they called all parents together as the tryout was starting and explicitly said if we didn't hear within 48 hours, then we didn't make it. The coaches doing the tryouts weren't the actual coaches of the teams, and we didn't make the cut, but we kind of knew that already, we were just taking a chance to see where the kids stacked up. But I can well believe that the bigger the club, the bigger the numbers of rejections, and expecting a part-time coach to keep on top of that as well as everything else, seems a lot to ask.

Comment

It's not.
                I think their point is that with Powerball, each participant can know on their own if they didn't win simply by checking the numbers. The comparison is only apt if the winning (and therefore losing) numbers are unknowns.

Comment

It's not. It's about volume of participation. Large china with high tryout numbers for already settled teams will have more people to disappoint than smaller clubs looking to boost teams from smaller tryout numbers. CFC, FSA, Oakwood, Beachside, etc, could easily see 60+kids for a single team. If tryout details are centrally processed through the club, that means a lot of individual emails to send out. Unless the coaches are full time, most coaches don't have time to chase that up, given that they also probably have to see new recruits through the sign up process too. It's a lot to do if coaching is only your side job. We went to a big club tryout 3 years ago and they called all parents together as the tryout was starting and explicitly said if we didn't hear within 48 hours, then we didn't make it. The coaches doing the tryouts weren't the actual coaches of the teams, and we didn't make the cut, but we kind of knew that already, we were just taking a chance to see where the kids stacked up. But I can well believe that the bigger the club, the bigger the numbers of rejections, and expecting a part-time coach to keep on top of that as well as everything else, seems a lot to ask.
                  Omg have you never used a mail merge program, ever? Like someone said make a generic email for everyone and send it out. Takes absolutely no time at all

Comment

I think their point is that with Powerball, each participant can know on their own if they didn't win simply by checking the numbers. The comparison is only apt if the winning (and therefore losing) numbers are unknowns.
                    Exactly. Rosters aren't publicly available or when they are its months later. Lottery tickets are.

Comment

If you haven't heard back from a club after 2 weeks, you can probably figure out you weren't picked. Same logic.

Comment

Hey, at least OP isn't asking for "a detailed breakdown of my child's strengths and weaknesses and what he or she should focus on during the upcoming season." I see that type of request from time to time and can't wrap my head around that level of wishful thinking.

I'd guess maybe 150 kids were at FSA and CFC tryouts this spring. They probably took a dozen new kids. Parents want detailed analyses on 140 kids? LOL.

I don't know; I'm of the mind that if your kid didn't get that special training invite and offer before leaving the tryout field, what's the point of dropping $3k+ per year?
                        Start with I agree with you that detailed analysis for 140 kids is hard to pull together, but each evaluator is holding a clipboard with evaluation forms. I suspect they are looking for their 5 point rating on each dimension. Given the appearance where each kid is wearing a number I can see where on might believe that there’s an actual combine occurring with diligent evaluation of each player. That’s why you get that question. Maybe try holding a clipboard with a blank piece of paper instead to properly communicate you are not looking at everyone. (Not involved my kid made the team)

Comment

For the most part, the coaches know who they want before tryouts, which is a formality. If you haven't heard in 2 weeks, then you aren't a top choice, because they wouldn't let that player slip away. Still, I agree, ghosting is rude and unprofessional.

Comment

For the most part, the coaches know who they want before tryouts, which is a formality. If you haven't heard in 2 weeks, then you aren't a top choice, because they wouldn't let that player slip away. Still, I agree, ghosting is rude and unprofessional.
                            This is mostly true but an indictment in laziness on the part of a paid coach. Male no promises and let the kids earn the spots over two days of legit evaluations. Technical drills, 1v1, 2v2, small games and very little, if any, full scrimmages. Mix up all the players and see if kids stand out or stand down.

Comment

This is mostly true but an indictment in laziness on the part of a paid coach. Male no promises and let the kids earn the spots over two days of legit evaluations. Technical drills, 1v1, 2v2, small games and very little, if any, full scrimmages. Mix up all the players and see if kids stand out or stand down.

Yeah, almost no one does that except at low level clubs scraping for players or ulittle teams.

- Clubs want to grab the better talent before another club does; there isn't much of it out there

- mass tryouts aren't a good way to assess talent and if a prospective player will fit the current squad they have

- practice invites are also a better way for the player/family to see if there's a fit (although parent especially aren't very good at assessing that)

Comment

Yeah, almost no one does that except at low level clubs scraping for players or ulittle teams.

- Clubs want to grab the better talent before another club does; there isn't much of it out there

- mass tryouts aren't a good way to assess talent and if a prospective player will fit the current squad they have

- practice invites are also a better way for the player/family to see if there's a fit (although parent especially aren't very good at assessing that)
                                Yep top talent. 5 or 6 players. Evaluate the rest honestly. It's why so many teams have little to no depth. Incumbents have spots for ever and new kids trying out that have talent are really never looked at honestly. Daughter plays FSA ecnl. We need help and occasionally talented players show up and must never get offers. Coaches are doing everything but watching.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X