Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP here...

Like I said, I, as a parent have been guilty of this in the past, especially during season play. I have gotten a little better though.

We are doing Summer Select with two practices per week and game about every other week. We also did one camp but that was it. Between practices, DD has off and is only allowed to go running/jogging or juggling. That's it. Futsal during winter is even less.

The parents who I am speaking too are the ones who are training 5+ days a week or more during the off season and/or going to camp every week during the summer. All of this on top of a Fall/Spring season with games/practices/training at 5+ days a week. The Elite teams are probably 6 days a week. If this sounds like you than you better make sure your kid is getting straight A's because they are likely going to suffer an ACL tear before they reach Junior year.

Best way to think about it is like a healthy adult work out schedule. Heck, we only work our lower body one day, upper body the next, Cardio day, rest day, than repeat. Ideally, kids should never work out three days in a row since these are physical sports as well, not a weight room.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Ugh this God dam idiot 🙄
      We were doing so well.

Comment

We were doing so well.
        I guess RT’s parent meeting didn’t help. They just can’t help themselves. 🙄

Comment

OP here...

Like I said, I, as a parent have been guilty of this in the past, especially during season play. I have gotten a little better though.

We are doing Summer Select with two practices per week and game about every other week. We also did one camp but that was it. Between practices, DD has off and is only allowed to go running/jogging or juggling. That's it. Futsal during winter is even less.

The parents who I am speaking too are the ones who are training 5+ days a week or more during the off season and/or going to camp every week during the summer. All of this on top of a Fall/Spring season with games/practices/training at 5+ days a week. The Elite teams are probably 6 days a week. If this sounds like you than you better make sure your kid is getting straight A's because they are likely going to suffer an ACL tear before they reach Junior year.

Best way to think about it is like a healthy adult work out schedule. Heck, we only work our lower body one day, upper body the next, Cardio day, rest day, than repeat. Ideally, kids should never work out three days in a row since these are physical sports as well, not a weight room.
          A lot of these kids are playing multiple sports too. It's a recipe for physical and emotional burnout. Yes playing different sports can help train different muscle groups etc but if a kid is playing a sport literally every day of the week it's simply too much. Something has to give. I wish kids could play multiple sports like it used to be back in the day but the pressure to excel at any one thing is too great, especially at the higher levels. If your athlete wants to continue with multiple sports then dropping down to something less competitive may be the only way. It's ok - chances are they weren't going to get a college scholarship in any sport anyway. Seriously, they aren't. Let them do what they enjoy and figure it out on their own. It's their path, not yours.

Comment

A lot of these kids are playing multiple sports too. It's a recipe for physical and emotional burnout. Yes playing different sports can help train different muscle groups etc but if a kid is playing a sport literally every day of the week it's simply too much. Something has to give. I wish kids could play multiple sports like it used to be back in the day but the pressure to excel at any one thing is too great, especially at the higher levels. If your athlete wants to continue with multiple sports then dropping down to something less competitive may be the only way. It's ok - chances are they weren't going to get a college scholarship in any sport anyway. Seriously, they aren't. Let them do what they enjoy and figure it out on their own. It's their path, not yours.
            Playing multiple sports is actually the best thing a kid can do to prevent overuse injuries.

Comment

Excellent post. I've seen it happen many times. Kids seem unstoppable well into middle school and puberty then things start to fall apart. All that activity starts to catch up with them in high school. It can really effect them emotionally too as they get discouraged with frequent issues they never had before. Of course clubs want your kids to do camps, extra sessions, summer teams. They're a business. Don't cave to pressure to participate. Look out for your kid.

Some parents push (sorry "encourage ") their kids to work out. Growing bodies should not be doing adult workouts. Plus chances are they're doing things wrong. Well into HS if the athlete wants to do workouts, pay for a professional trainer that specializes in younger athletes and knows what they're doing.
              I cringe when I hear parents are encouraging kids to work out as an adult would. Some even brag, I mean post it on their social media pages. All I can think is that they must really love living through their kids.

Comment

Playing multiple sports is actually the best thing a kid can do to prevent overuse injuries.
                This is absolutely accurate. Doctors and Physical Therapists all suggest children participate in other sports to help build muscle strength and flexibility outside of just the soccer fitness. Basketball is the most commonly suggested sport to participate in due to the synergies with soccer in agility and coordination.

Comment

This is absolutely accurate. Doctors and Physical Therapists all suggest children participate in other sports to help build muscle strength and flexibility outside of just the soccer fitness. Basketball is the most commonly suggested sport to participate in due to the synergies with soccer in agility and coordination.
                  This is 100% accurate. Our doctor suggested strength training without weight to prevent injuries. As a teen & college athlete I worked out in the mornings for over an hour and evenings for 3 hours and did not have a single injury until my mid twenties when I fell running. But I did not start anything until I was 14. No one told me to work out, I did it completely on my own, played 3 sports and my parents weren't even at any of my games and never took me to practices. I did take the summers completely off except running. Life was easier then.

Comment

Funny though that a lot of sports use the same muscle groups and wear and tear on the same parts. Soccer uses core, lower back and legs almost exclusively so unless your kid swims, rows, bowls, golfs or wrestles they still run the same risk of over use as if they just played soccer.

Comment

Basketball? As an alt for soccer instead of futsal? Same things with wear and tear on knees and legs just one has more elbows and hands in your face.

Comment

Every kid is different and every training is different. Working on speed, agility and flexibility are different then foot skills which is different then team training which is different then games. Going outside and doing foot skills or working on a wall for 30-60mins isn't the same as going to a trainer. Other countries they will play outside 4, 5, 6 days a week for fun which is really no different then most training.

The issue with "over use" comes from not eating properly, not stretching properly, not doing work outs properly and being lumps when not doing soccer ie playing video games or watching tv to much. On RARE occasions you have parents who drag their kids to 5-7 days a week worth of soccer for months on end with multiple clubs/school practices, trainings, camps and games. Of the ones I've seen over the years easily 90% have had at least 1 major injury, usually an ACL tear with some as early as u12. Of those maybe half would wind up with a 2nd major issue usually stemming from coming back to soon or not taking the time to fully heal.

Listen to your kids, if they say they hurt or are noticeably hurt then take them to the doctors. At the very least allow then time to rest and make sure they use ice and heat responsibly. Doesn't take much to read about common injuries and how to treat and precautions to take. To simply say though you should only train 2x a week and not lift until you are a mid teen is just dumb.

Comment

Bottom line. Have your kids wear turfs instead of cleats on turf. It will save them.

Comment

Yes cross training is helpful, but it depends on what sports. Basketball is terrible for soccer players (although helpful for GKs who also don't run in soccer).

Comment

Bottom line. Have your kids wear turfs instead of cleats on turf. It will save them.
                              a good trainer can show your player exercises to do to help reduce the risk of tears. It's won't be foolproof- nothing is - but can help. 100% on the shoes - again, not foolproof but every ACL I've seen go has been on turf (and the basketball court)

Comment

MatchFit has the highest injury rate of local ECNL clubs. Ask the 07’s why they failed in Florida. The best girls were injured.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X