Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overuse Injuries

Just going to leave this here…I am somewhat guilty as well with my DD and wish I had taken a step back.

Please be aware of how much training/soccer your kids are doing. U6 through U13 has no business training, practicing and gaming 7 days a week. You are setting your kids up for injuries. Some clubs and coaches are much more guilty than others and only care about wins rather than your kids future. I have seen promising players at a young age at both PDA and MFS go down with injuries that are going to eventually hurt them when it matters.

Quit worrying about your ego as parents and being #1 at U10 thru U13. Worry more about their future and well being. Give them a break. They shouldn’t be training more than 2 days during the summer and winter months and 5 days at the most including games during the season

My opinion is that some clubs and coaches really dont mind the kids getting hurt. Nothing justifies a 24 player roster like being able to say “but theres injuries!”

I realize it’s cynical but 2-3 extra players at $3-4k each on multiple teams really adds up.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Just going to leave this here…I am somewhat guilty as well with my DD and wish I had taken a step back.

Please be aware of how much training/soccer your kids are doing. U6 through U13 has no business training, practicing and gaming 7 days a week. You are setting your kids up for injuries. Some clubs and coaches are much more guilty than others and only care about wins rather than your kids future. I have seen promising players at a young age at both PDA and MFS go down with injuries that are going to eventually hurt them when it matters.

Quit worrying about your ego as parents and being #1 at U10 thru U13. Worry more about their future and well being. Give them a break. They shouldn’t be training more than 2 days during the summer and winter months and 5 days at the most including games during the season
      Interesting to see this posted as I was just having a conversation with a pediatric ortho who said the same thing. He said he wishes parents knew the damage they are doing to their children’s bodies by having them train as hard as they do at such young ages. He said in recent years serious injuries have spiked in the younger age groups, injuries that shouldn’t be happening until mid teen years are happening to 11-12 year olds. When asking the parents the training or playing regime he is shocked by how hard kids are pushed “these days”.

In essence it’s really not worth it. Let your kids be kids, let them heal properly, take time off etc. soccer is a mental game- it takes a lot of focus and mental ability to constantly be practicing or playing. Sometimes it really is just too much.

This is a good post.

Comment

Yeah but don't you know how important those top rankings are for the clubs. Again this comes down to parents. Why they buy into the crap from all of these teams is beyond me. First of all its about money. Second they do not really care about your kid. Being around this circuit I wonder if I am somehow enlightened or if most around me are just idiots. Likely the latter.

Comment

Does the fake concern also spread to CSA, NJ Blaze and every other club that kept training and went straight from spring season to summer select tournaments?

Comment

Does the fake concern also spread to CSA, NJ Blaze and every other club that kept training and went straight from spring season to summer select tournaments?
            Great point. Summer select soccer tournaments are the biggest money grab out there and only exist for the teams hunting Gotsoccer points.

Comment

Summer select IS training 2x’s a week, with infrequent tournaments. A rest period before fall. So what’s your point?

Comment

Be a parent. Just say no. It's just that simple.

Kidd need both emotional and physical breaks . Summer is the perfect time for it.

Comment

Summer select IS training 2x’s a week, with infrequent tournaments. A rest period before fall. So what’s your point?
                  My point is there were two clubs brought up in the OP but there are many clubs who share the responsibility of resting their players during summer.

Comment

Excellent post. I've seen it happen many times. Kids seem unstoppable well into middle school and puberty then things start to fall apart. All that activity starts to catch up with them in high school. It can really effect them emotionally too as they get discouraged with frequent issues they never had before. Of course clubs want your kids to do camps, extra sessions, summer teams. They're a business. Don't cave to pressure to participate. Look out for your kid.

Some parents push (sorry "encourage ") their kids to work out. Growing bodies should not be doing adult workouts. Plus chances are they're doing things wrong. Well into HS if the athlete wants to do workouts, pay for a professional trainer that specializes in younger athletes and knows what they're doing.

Comment

My point is there were two clubs brought up in the OP but there are many clubs who share the responsibility of resting their players during summer.
                      All clubs offer summer select. Maybe the OP just has a better understanding of the training frequency of those that were mentioned. Parents have the ability to say no, to not invest in outside training on top of the club training etc. but some parents get consumed with having their child be the best that maybe they don’t see the harm in what they are doing. I’d take the advice for what it’s worth.

Comment

Excellent post. I've seen it happen many times. Kids seem unstoppable well into middle school and puberty then things start to fall apart. All that activity starts to catch up with them in high school. It can really effect them emotionally too as they get discouraged with frequent issues they never had before. Of course clubs want your kids to do camps, extra sessions, summer teams. They're a business. Don't cave to pressure to participate. Look out for your kid.

Some parents push (sorry "encourage ") their kids to work out. Growing bodies should not be doing adult workouts. Plus chances are they're doing things wrong. Well into HS if the athlete wants to do workouts, pay for a professional trainer that specializes in younger athletes and knows what they're doing.
                        We are the Shore!

Comment

They're a business. That rules everything so always keep that in mind. Parents need to say no, even if your kid really wants to do it. Summer is a big time for pediatric checkups. Enlist the help of their doctors to discuss over doing it. Pediatricians see it all the time.

Comment

We are the Shore!
                            Ugh this God dam idiot 🙄

Comment

My kids were both given a month off from soccer by their coach and it is the best thing they could have done for the upcoming season.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X