* 2 (max 3) “tips”

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Theater
          Of course recruiting happens, but…
          *official policy of Academics First
          *no scholarships
          * 2 (max 3) “tips”
          My child had a bottom 25% SAT score with a GPA in the low 3’s and only 3 AP classes with 3’s on the exams. My child also had no EC’s other than soccer and graduated from a public high school well outside the top 100 in MA. We also got around $30,000 in financial aid. There is no way in hell this particular NESCAC would have entertained the thought of admitting my child but for recruiting.

Comment

My child had a bottom 25% SAT score with a GPA in the low 3’s and only 3 AP classes with 3’s on the exams. My child also had no EC’s other than soccer and graduated from a public high school well outside the top 100 in MA. We also got around $30,000 in financial aid. There is no way in hell this particular NESCAC would have entertained the thought of admitting my child but for recruiting.
            Unless you are a minority and/or low income. Getting $30k in financial aid indicates at least the latter to me.

Comment

This has to be fake. NESCAC teams take a lot of pride in their team-GPA relative to other teams at their schools, so I can't imagine a NESCAC coach recruiting a player with a poor academic record. Also can't image such a player would get past the admissions pre-read.

Comment

are there fall trouts for soccer?
                Probably need to be invited by the coach for a walk-on tryout.

Comment

Probably need to be invited by the coach for a walk-on tryout.
                  Correct. There are no open tryouts. If you aren’t recruited, you aren’t able to tryout.

Comment

This is actually untrue. For compliance reasons, the NCAA requires an open try out for each member school. This, however, does not mean that the head coach will be in attendance.

Comment

This has to be fake. NESCAC teams take a lot of pride in their team-GPA relative to other teams at their schools, so I can't imagine a NESCAC coach recruiting a player with a poor academic record. Also can't image such a player would get past the admissions pre-read.
                      Almost never. Not only does the coach want to make sure a student athlete won't struggle, like you said getting past admissions with that kind of record is nearly impossible.

Also, why would you want your kid to go to a school where they very well may struggle academically? They get no academic support like D1 athletes do.

Comment

This is actually untrue. For compliance reasons, the NCAA requires an open try out for each member school. This, however, does not mean that the head coach will be in attendance.
                        Walk-ons from open tryouts can happen but they're still pretty uncommon. Even less common is that walk-on being an impact player or getting much PT. If they weren't recruited as a HS player there's a reason for it (exception: a long term injury kept you out of the action)

Comment

You and the compliance poster just made my point. Recruiting happens - sounds like yours was one of the Tips. But for compliance and perception reasons there has to be a tryout. but its theater, not likely to make it unless coach already sold you on attending

Comment

Enjoy Hartford....

Comment

Walk-ons from open tryouts can happen but they're still pretty uncommon. Even less common is that walk-on being an impact player or getting much PT. If they weren't recruited as a HS player there's a reason for it (exception: a long term injury kept you out of the action)
                              Plus why would you? If you get into the school without soccer than just play for the love of soccer on the club team. Focus on academics and play club soccer for fun. Maybe the best outcome of all.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X