Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EB & Scorpions - Do you want a club and club leader like this with your daughter?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Yes. He obviously is an ass. I would not want him around my kid. No normal parent would. Yes, his comment was sexist, and stupid, and he should have been ejected. He then could explain to the league why he said what he said. No excuse for it, and no one should put up with it.
    Yeah, sure. Coaches say way worse, behave much worse towards refs. A flippant remark is just that, one that happened to be caught on audio. If he had a long history of bad behavior to all refs, female refs and his players? Absolutely. But claiming you wouldn't let your kid around someone you don't even know based on a single clip? Please.

Comment

Sorry, but that literally makes no sense. When the question is whether something a man said is sexist to women, then the opinion of other men isn't even wrong. It's irrelevant.
      Not dissimilar to whites being offended by possibly racist remarks but was the POC offended? In this case, was the ref offended? If she's an experienced ref no doubt she's heard much worse and has a thick skin. As a dad would I want my daughter called sweetheart? I'd only be concerned if it happened more than once or was accompanied by other bad behavior. Knowing my D she'd quickly put him in his place 🤣

Comment

Yeah, sure. Coaches say way worse, behave much worse towards refs. A flippant remark is just that, one that happened to be caught on audio. If he had a long history of bad behavior to all refs, female refs and his players? Absolutely. But claiming you wouldn't let your kid around someone you don't even know based on a single clip? Please.
        I'm a Scorpions parent (and yes, many of you probably won't believe that but what can you do?) and don't like the comment he made. But the coach in question has been terrific with my daughters. There has never been an issue with us and in fact my kids both think he's a great coach and a nice guy.

Comment

He used the term to target the ref as a female. It isn't hard to figure out what's "sexist" about it. What's even arguable about this?
          The question is do you believe the intent of his remark was:

A:”ref you suck, I know more than you”
          Or
          B:”ref you suck because your a girl, I know more than you”

I think it was A. Which may have heart your feelings but it was not inherently sexist.
          There is a huge difference.

Comment

I'm a Scorpions parent (and yes, many of you probably won't believe that but what can you do?) and don't like the comment he made. But the coach in question has been terrific with my daughters. There has never been an issue with us and in fact my kids both think he's a great coach and a nice guy.
            ^^yes. This guy spends his career surrounded by female athletes and coaches. If he was a sexist jerk, it would be widely known. But that is not the reputation he has. You may or may not choose Scorpions but his behavior should not be the determining factor.

Comment

Or

I think it was A. Which may have heart your feelings but it was not inherently sexist.
              ^ this. Sometimes coaches can be idiots - like arguing with a ref in general. It almost never goes anywhere and should be reserved for safety issues, not an offside call. I'd be far more worried if a coach argued with refs regularly than one remark. And yes, a coach treating female players badly garners a reputation. It's a small soccer world around here.

Comment

Or

Why does it matter if it's "inherently" sexist or just "casually" sexist? If you meant A then stick to A. Don't spice it up by saying, "ref you suck, I know more than you, sweetheart."

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;3041836]Why does it matter if it's "inherently" sexist or just "casually" sexist? If you meant A then stick to A. Don't spice it up by saying, "ref you suck, I know more than you, sweetheart."[/

You are the one placing meaning there. You are the one taking it from being a simply rude comment to being something nefarious. Can and should the guy do better, yes, but don’t label a guy as sexist for something like this. I think your bar for sexism is too low.

Comment

Frankly don't think it's that big of a deal what he said and to whom he said it. I think the worst part of it is that he's being a jerk speaking to a referee like that. Has an experienced youth sports coach, he should know better. He's not Pep Guardiola and this is not a world cup game. Relax sweetheart... I mean coach.

Comment

I was at a tournament game where he got red carded against Stars. He was abusive to the ref and got tossed. Overall good guy just like NR but needs to grow up!!

Comment

Or

I think the rule now is it doesn't matter if the person makes the comment thinks it's sexist, or if anyone else thinks it's sexist or not. The only person that matters is the person it is directed to, and if they feel that way then it is. That's how we roll today.

So, he should have his position revoked and he should no longer be in a position of authority around females, or those who identify as female.

Comment

I think the rule now is it doesn't matter if the person makes the comment thinks it's sexist, or if anyone else thinks it's sexist or not. The only person that matters is the person it is directed to, and if they feel that way then it is. That's how we roll today.

So, he should have his position revoked and he should no longer be in a position of authority around females, or those who identify as female.
                          Woke snowflake

Comment

Woke snowflake
                            How dare you!?!

Now you have me offended. You shouldn't be allowed near anyone with conflict sensitivities and certainly not anyone who lives in, or near, areas with the potential for snowfall.

You're lucky this is anonymous, buster, or I'd have your job for that kind of attitude.

Comment

I don't feel safe

Comment

Opposing coach who was so “outraged” herself got a red card whilst abusing a ref during a game the week prior.
                                Hahaha so basically she got Red Carded and felt that the best way to deflect away was to make a big deal of some guy's offhand use of "sweetheart."

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X