Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ID Camps - Boys

I've been going through the recruiting process with my son and have had some good and bad experiences. He's a rising senior and since Covid threw a wrench in to our plans we decided to do more camps than we were hoping to so that he would have increased exposure. We are attending non-school sponsored camps (Example: MAP, CSA, etc) and also school sponsored camps. We are attending camps at schools that are not a fit (i.e. high GPA, D1, etc) because schools invite coaches of non-competing schools to their camps (Example: Dartmouth invites Bates, Bates invites Knox, etc). Most 'tips' that the internet, coaches or NESJ put out there are just the basics (i.e. highlight video, email the coaches, blah, blah, blah)...here is some feedback for parents of rising Juniors that I hope is helpful for next year:

* If your kid is a rising freshman or sophomore do NOT do any ID camps...it is a waste of money. I see these kids at camps and coaches don't even look at them. They have a hard enough time looking at rising seniors. There can be anywhere from 60 to 200 kids at a camp. Coaches might be able to look at a kid for 5 minutes then they move on. They are strategic in who they look at and they won't waste time on kids that aren't ready to be recruited (especially ones they can't talk to due to NCAA rules).

* The best camps are the ones that are on the college campus. But with Covid (even post-vaccine) onsite camps are not as common as they were pre-covid. If a coach has an on-campus ID camp and you are interested in that school then make extra effort to go to that camp. If you don't go to campus then your chances of being recruited are diminished. It's just like non-athlete admittance...if you do a campus tour and interview then your chances of admittance go up...it's not a guarantee of acceptance but every little bit helps. All campus ID camps are listed on the school athletics website.

* Of course coaches need to see the player play a couple times. If they don't have camps on campus then find out what camps they are attending and go to those. If there is nothing on their website then email the coaches to ask where they will be (send individual emails to head and assistant coaches...don't send one email with all the coaches on it). When you arrive at the camp your son should introduce himself to the coach before it starts. Say goodbye at the end and then email (or handwrite) a thank you after the camp and ask for a phone call (or Zoom). The player should be persistent...it's not a 'No' until the coach tells you no.

* Be wary of the money-grab camps. This is a tough one to identify. All of these camps will take your money regardless of GPA or ability. However, sometimes 'money grab camps' are necessary to get in front of a coach that is hard to reach. Keep in mind that ID camps attendance by assistant coaches are to make extra money (any camp that Tim Peng from Babson is at is probably a money grab). Some are well run (MAP and Exact for example) but only use them for your benefit (i.e. A coach you want to get in front of has told you he will be at the camp). Avoid most D1 camps unless your kid has had significant interaction or is a stud player. There's just not enough D1 spots (my kid wants D1 but is most likely going D3...and before the TS nutjobs say my kid isn't good enough...he plays at a high level and attends one of the highest soccer-focused boarding schools in CT). Another good example of a money grab is Dartmouth. They are running ~10 camps...usually 60 kids per camp (600 kids x $250 per kid = $150,000). They only have two slots left on their roster! Most parents will say, "You never know". Trust me...you know...and so do the coaches. Seems like a money grab to me. (Again, there are some Nescac and other schools that may be in attendance so if you are trying to get in front of that specific coach then it might be worth it).

* Using Ryzer for upcoming ID Camp emails is helpful.

* Make sure you fill out the recruiting form on a schools website. (Most schools use RecruitSpot so if you create a free account then you can fill out multiple recruit forms very fast...without rewriting info over and over). You will need information before filling out the form (GPA, SAT or ACT if available, highlight video, all coach information (email, cell phone, etc), Major interest, etc.

* Do NOT rely on your club for any real help. The MLS Next coaches and Boarding School coaches have the most connections but the coaches want to hear from the player (not the parent). The coaches are best used as a reference for when a college coach wants feedback. In other words, the parents need to put the effort in...don't rely on HS, club, etc to get your kid recruited (again...if your kid is a stud they already know about him). When I say the parents need to put the effort in I mean that the parents should be behind the scenes making sure emails go out, calls are set up, helping fill out recruit forms, etc, etc. BUT...the kid needs to make the calls and emails. I just think parents should be involved because recruiting is a process...something that 17 or 18 year olds have little experience with.

Hopefully this is helpful. This is my youngest and I will be signing off of TS shortly since it can be toxic (although sometimes helpful/informative). Enjoy the time with your kids. The windshield time with them is invaluable but short lived.

Good post based on our experience with kid #1 and #2 coming up (thankfully skipping most of the Covid nightmare). The only thing I'd add is

- utilize days off to tour some campuses locally (or away for tournaments) well before recruiting time to give your student exposure to different types of schools, locations etc That will help them hone their list down before they start the actual process.

- Good targeting is a key to success, and not just academics wise. Make sure you look at player resumes on current rosters to see if you're anywhere near the same level. If you're way off target then only go to that school's ID even if it's your dream school and it's your only shot.

- Do at least one camp before it's time for the real deal. You can see where you fit and readjust your targets. It also helps to get the jitters out knowing what to expect.

- You can help avoid the cash grab camps by studying any emails the send you (is the invite specific eg :we saw you play at X tournament). Ask how many players will be there. Definitely ask how many spots they are looking to fill. If your club coach is doing his job ask them to ask the program how interested they are in your kid. Some keep camps small, like 40 players, so you have a better shot. Camps that are 75-100 kids? They only are serious about 15-20 of them so know your odds going in

- Do not do the massive school, multi day camps unless it is the only way to get in front of a few programs you really want. They're generally a total waste, and by day 2 of non stop soccer you're wiped out.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Good post based on our experience with kid #1 and #2 coming up (thankfully skipping most of the Covid nightmare). The only thing I'd add is

- utilize days off to tour some campuses locally (or away for tournaments) well before recruiting time to give your student exposure to different types of schools, locations etc That will help them hone their list down before they start the actual process.

- Good targeting is a key to success, and not just academics wise. Make sure you look at player resumes on current rosters to see if you're anywhere near the same level. If you're way off target then only go to that school's ID even if it's your dream school and it's your only shot.

- Do at least one camp before it's time for the real deal. You can see where you fit and readjust your targets. It also helps to get the jitters out knowing what to expect.

- You can help avoid the cash grab camps by studying any emails the send you (is the invite specific eg :we saw you play at X tournament). Ask how many players will be there. Definitely ask how many spots they are looking to fill. If your club coach is doing his job ask them to ask the program how interested they are in your kid. Some keep camps small, like 40 players, so you have a better shot. Camps that are 75-100 kids? They only are serious about 15-20 of them so know your odds going in

- Do not do the massive school, multi day camps unless it is the only way to get in front of a few programs you really want. They're generally a total waste, and by day 2 of non stop soccer you're wiped out.
      - Good point on the tours. I would add that it makes sense to tour different schools. We just did a D1 camp and followed up with a tour of a D3 and he liked the D3 better. Kids need to figure out if they want to be in the city or the mountains, 1500 students or 5000, etc. Tours help more then most give credit for. My older kids narrowed their list and then made their final decision based on the campus tour...invaluable...they both love where they attend.

Comment

I've been going through the recruiting process with my son and have had some good and bad experiences. He's a rising senior and since Covid threw a wrench in to our plans we decided to do more camps than we were hoping to so that he would have increased exposure. We are attending non-school sponsored camps (Example: MAP, CSA, etc) and also school sponsored camps. We are attending camps at schools that are not a fit (i.e. high GPA, D1, etc) because schools invite coaches of non-competing schools to their camps (Example: Dartmouth invites Bates, Bates invites Knox, etc). Most 'tips' that the internet, coaches or NESJ put out there are just the basics (i.e. highlight video, email the coaches, blah, blah, blah)...here is some feedback for parents of rising Juniors that I hope is helpful for next year:

* If your kid is a rising freshman or sophomore do NOT do any ID camps...it is a waste of money. I see these kids at camps and coaches don't even look at them. They have a hard enough time looking at rising seniors. There can be anywhere from 60 to 200 kids at a camp. Coaches might be able to look at a kid for 5 minutes then they move on. They are strategic in who they look at and they won't waste time on kids that aren't ready to be recruited (especially ones they can't talk to due to NCAA rules).

* The best camps are the ones that are on the college campus. But with Covid (even post-vaccine) onsite camps are not as common as they were pre-covid. If a coach has an on-campus ID camp and you are interested in that school then make extra effort to go to that camp. If you don't go to campus then your chances of being recruited are diminished. It's just like non-athlete admittance...if you do a campus tour and interview then your chances of admittance go up...it's not a guarantee of acceptance but every little bit helps. All campus ID camps are listed on the school athletics website.

* Of course coaches need to see the player play a couple times. If they don't have camps on campus then find out what camps they are attending and go to those. If there is nothing on their website then email the coaches to ask where they will be (send individual emails to head and assistant coaches...don't send one email with all the coaches on it). When you arrive at the camp your son should introduce himself to the coach before it starts. Say goodbye at the end and then email (or handwrite) a thank you after the camp and ask for a phone call (or Zoom). The player should be persistent...it's not a 'No' until the coach tells you no.

* Be wary of the money-grab camps. This is a tough one to identify. All of these camps will take your money regardless of GPA or ability. However, sometimes 'money grab camps' are necessary to get in front of a coach that is hard to reach. Keep in mind that ID camps attendance by assistant coaches are to make extra money (any camp that Tim Peng from Babson is at is probably a money grab). Some are well run (MAP and Exact for example) but only use them for your benefit (i.e. A coach you want to get in front of has told you he will be at the camp). Avoid most D1 camps unless your kid has had significant interaction or is a stud player. There's just not enough D1 spots (my kid wants D1 but is most likely going D3...and before the TS nutjobs say my kid isn't good enough...he plays at a high level and attends one of the highest soccer-focused boarding schools in CT). Another good example of a money grab is Dartmouth. They are running ~10 camps...usually 60 kids per camp (600 kids x $250 per kid = $150,000). They only have two slots left on their roster! Most parents will say, "You never know". Trust me...you know...and so do the coaches. Seems like a money grab to me. (Again, there are some Nescac and other schools that may be in attendance so if you are trying to get in front of that specific coach then it might be worth it).

* Using Ryzer for upcoming ID Camp emails is helpful.

* Make sure you fill out the recruiting form on a schools website. (Most schools use RecruitSpot so if you create a free account then you can fill out multiple recruit forms very fast...without rewriting info over and over). You will need information before filling out the form (GPA, SAT or ACT if available, highlight video, all coach information (email, cell phone, etc), Major interest, etc.

* Do NOT rely on your club for any real help. The MLS Next coaches and Boarding School coaches have the most connections but the coaches want to hear from the player (not the parent). The coaches are best used as a reference for when a college coach wants feedback. In other words, the parents need to put the effort in...don't rely on HS, club, etc to get your kid recruited (again...if your kid is a stud they already know about him). When I say the parents need to put the effort in I mean that the parents should be behind the scenes making sure emails go out, calls are set up, helping fill out recruit forms, etc, etc. BUT...the kid needs to make the calls and emails. I just think parents should be involved because recruiting is a process...something that 17 or 18 year olds have little experience with.

Hopefully this is helpful. This is my youngest and I will be signing off of TS shortly since it can be toxic (although sometimes helpful/informative). Enjoy the time with your kids. The windshield time with them is invaluable but short lived.

Good post, but I’d note that your timing of when to attend ID clinics (as a rising senior) is specific to the boys side of things. For girls, rising sophomores should definitely be starting with a couple of camps (always start with schools that they don’t have their heart set on). Most D1 and even high D3 commitments for girls are done by the middle of their junior year.

Comment

Good post, but I’d note that your timing of when to attend ID clinics (as a rising senior) is specific to the boys side of things. For girls, rising sophomores should definitely be starting with a couple of camps (always start with schools that they don’t have their heart set on). Most D1 and even high D3 commitments for girls are done by the middle of their junior year.
          Oops. Just saw that the title said boys!

Comment

Yes the timing is different but most of the rest applies to both genders regardless

Comment

Good info. The CSA camp last week (in a literal hurricane) was a waste of time. More than half the coaches advertised last month didn't show up. Some mysteriously disappeared off the list a few days before. Didn't bother going back for day 2. And the dirt road to and from the field almost swallowed my car with the giant pot holes. Waste. Of. Time. Anyone have any input from the PPA one?

Comment

Good info. The CSA camp last week (in a literal hurricane) was a waste of time. More than half the coaches advertised last month didn't show up. Some mysteriously disappeared off the list a few days before. Didn't bother going back for day 2. And the dirt road to and from the field almost swallowed my car with the giant pot holes. Waste. Of. Time. Anyone have any input from the PPA one?
                PPA is very competitive but not residential and one day shorter this summer. Good for prep to specific college ids. Those are the ones that really matter, not the big ones. Important to choose a wide range of programs. Your kid will know immediately if in the mix or not. Not sure = not. Be honest and adjust. The delusional parents/players locked out in Covid ‘21 year.

Comment

Don’t sign up for Elite 100 ID Camps. I was planning on having my son attend one in Taunton this past weekend as a practice for the ones that count. They were holding a boys and girls version. I got numerous emails and thought why not since we were free. All of a sudden the boys version disappeared from their website. I tried reaching out to them to make sure it was still occurring…no response. Since it started at 9am I decided to call ForeKicks to see what they knew. Well they told me it was cancelled along with the girls event which also disappeared from their website. I’ve sent then numerous emails about getting a refund and have heard nothing . Will contact my cc co. At least have the courtesy if you cancel an event to let the participants know.

https://elite100idcamps.com/

Comment

Don’t sign up for Elite 100 ID Camps. I was planning on having my son attend one in Taunton this past weekend as a practice for the ones that count. They were holding a boys and girls version. I got numerous emails and thought why not since we were free. All of a sudden the boys version disappeared from their website. I tried reaching out to them to make sure it was still occurring…no response. Since it started at 9am I decided to call ForeKicks to see what they knew. Well they told me it was cancelled along with the girls event which also disappeared from their website. I’ve sent then numerous emails about getting a refund and have heard nothing . Will contact my cc co. At least have the courtesy if you cancel an event to let the participants know.

https://elite100idcamps.com/
                    Any follow up? Refund?

Comment

Use freshmen and sophomore year to actually watch soccer games of potential schools. My son saw a few which really changed his direction. The process- we established some communication first with the school- emails, to then phone calls, coach wanted to see a full game on video, then a communication with a well respected coach. The school then expressed more interest- then admission read, financial read....

I agree as well with ID camps. Most are cattle calls unless you have contact with coaches prior and they express interest. The coach recommendation for us was huge.

Comment

Use freshmen and sophomore year to actually watch soccer games of potential schools. My son saw a few which really changed his direction. The process- we established some communication first with the school- emails, to then phone calls, coach wanted to see a full game on video, then a communication with a well respected coach. The school then expressed more interest- then admission read, financial read....

I agree as well with ID camps. Most are cattle calls unless you have contact with coaches prior and they express interest. The coach recommendation for us was huge.
                        Great point on the video. Film as much as possible...it's useful for highlights and for when coaches say they 'need to see you'. Be careful...using video for a highlight reel is good to show goals, passing, footwork, etc and the quality of the opponent doesn't matter because they are short clips. Full game video is different. If you provide a video against a D4 high school team the coach will quickly see that its low level competition.

We got stuck...we were planning to film his club season in the spring and then Covid hit and we had limited video. Most parents are usually just sitting on the sidelines...why not film. I bought a tripod with an iphone holder and i would set it up on a hill and just let it run. Games don't take up too much space on your phone...then download it when you get home and delete it off your phone for space for the next game. Nowadays the quality of video on a new iphone is as good as the average camcorder.

Comment

Any follow up? Refund?
                          I have not heard from then at all despite reaching out a few times, I disputed with my bank who reversed it for now and set up a claim. Exceptionally unprofessional to cancel something and not notify people who signed up. Lucky I noticed something as amiss.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X