Club consolidation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The demise of the State League due to the poor management at CJSA also had a ripple effect that has killed town programs. Since all Premier are now in Northeast Leagues, even the U12s, many players cant make their premier game and town game in the same day like they used to. Towns used to work around Premier schedules and were able to field teams with them. It also produced better players as these players got more touches and games in and were able to try different things in town travel that they weren't able to in Premier. It’s a snowball that is going to be felt in years to come as the US will get weaker, not stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      The demise of the State League due to the poor management at CJSA also had a ripple effect that has killed town programs. Since all Premier are now in Northeast Leagues, even the U12s, many players cant make their premier game and town game in the same day like they used to. Towns used to work around Premier schedules and were able to field teams with them. It also produced better players as these players got more touches and games in and were able to try different things in town travel that they weren't able to in Premier. It’s a snowball that is going to be felt in years to come as the US will get weaker, not stronger.
      Without town travel where will they learn to boot it and send it?? Nice kick!!!

Comment

We need kids playing at all levels to build a stronger soccer culture. There's inexpensive options for the little kids but by U11 the options really narrow. Plus there's an attitude by middle school of "if you're not playing at a high level why arr you bothering "?

Comment

Without town travel where will they learn to boot it and send it?? Nice kick!!!
          ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ ↑↑
          this attitude is the problem with American soccer

Comment

Wow! 2nd page of a thread on TS and every comment is sensible.

This problem isn't going away. Soccer families in big soccer towns with paid/good travel coaches and programs don't get it and I'm tired of hearing about it. If you're in West Hartford or whatever, good for you. Your kid is developing for a few hundred bucks a year.

But if you live a few miles away in dozens of other small towns, you MUST pay thousands to a club to get any sort of consistency or coaching or competition - even if it sucks. And it sucks for everyone. It even sucks for the big travel programs because they aren't playing anyone any good unless they get scrimmages against the clubs which probably never happens.

It's a problem that exists probably everywhere in the country

Comment

Wow! 2nd page of a thread on TS and every comment is sensible.

This problem isn't going away. Soccer families in big soccer towns with paid/good travel coaches and programs don't get it and I'm tired of hearing about it. If you're in West Hartford or whatever, good for you. Your kid is developing for a few hundred bucks a year.

But if you live a few miles away in dozens of other small towns, you MUST pay thousands to a club to get any sort of consistency or coaching or competition - even if it sucks. And it sucks for everyone. It even sucks for the big travel programs because they aren't playing anyone any good unless they get scrimmages against the clubs which probably never happens.

It's a problem that exists probably everywhere in the country
              I live in a small town and our program is pretty good. Why? Because we have a good board. Makes all the difference (we had a terrible one when my oldest started playing so I've seen it all). It takes a village, right? But unfortunately many won't volunteer for these thankless jobs. Some (definitely not all) that do have their own agendas or are just clueless.

Comment

I live in a small town and our program is pretty good. Why? Because we have a good board. Makes all the difference (we had a terrible one when my oldest started playing so I've seen it all). It takes a village, right? But unfortunately many won't volunteer for these thankless jobs. Some (definitely not all) that do have their own agendas or are just clueless.
                Board is very important. Also, a good knowledgeable hands-on DOC makes a huge difference. Being in two towns over the years, we've had experience with different styles. In the past we had a very good DOC that was constantly onsite, engaged, and evaluating teams, players and coaches. We now have a DOC who's never at the fields (too busy spliting time with other higher-level clubs and college teams) and manages from afar, and it shows in the overall quality of the club.

Comment

We need kids playing at all levels to build a stronger soccer culture. There's inexpensive options for the little kids but by U11 the options really narrow. Plus there's an attitude by middle school of "if you're not playing at a high level why arr you bothering "?
                  This is every sport or even extra curricular. Why play an instrument if you aren't on track to go to Julliard? It is social media, high achieving parent competitive driven BS. Kids can't do anything for fun anymore.

I'm as guilty as anyone believe me, but sometimes i do catch myself thinking why we even talk about development so much. Why is it so important that we "catch up" to the rest of the world in soccer? Remember when kids played a bunch of sports and then some of the best kids, who still played for their high schools btw, went and got scholarships or drafted to become pros? We made fun of the lunatic parents managing a 12 year old's nutrition and coming up with training plans and private coaches.

We 100% need kids to feel included in a sport without being looked down upon if they arent in the ECNL or on some MLS Academy team at 14.

Comment

We 100% need kids to feel included in a sport without being looked down upon if they arent in the ECNL or on some MLS Academy team at 14.
                    This is correct, every level of play has its merit.

Any season a kid may fall in love with the game via town soccer. They may go beyond that they may not. All of that is great as it's part of the bigger picture of getting as many kids playing, and keeping them playing.

But if you have a kid that is talented and driven, playing at a high level and enjoying that, you are NOT an azzwhole for keeping them as far away from town ball as you can.

I have a kid playing at a high level and he won't be putting on a town shirt any time soon. Yet I still serve on my town club's board because I want a soccer platform for everyone and I want kids to get that chance to love the game and to play it at the highest level for them, whatever that is.

Comment

This is every sport or even extra curricular. Why play an instrument if you aren't on track to go to Julliard? It is social media, high achieving parent competitive driven BS. Kids can't do anything for fun anymore.

I'm as guilty as anyone believe me, but sometimes i do catch myself thinking why we even talk about development so much. Why is it so important that we "catch up" to the rest of the world in soccer? Remember when kids played a bunch of sports and then some of the best kids, who still played for their high schools btw, went and got scholarships or drafted to become pros? We made fun of the lunatic parents managing a 12 year old's nutrition and coming up with training plans and private coaches.

op here - kids won't become fans of the sport if they have negative experiences. Of course many will drop out of soccer (and other sports )by the high school years because they lose interest, but hopefully they don't look back and think negatively about it - or their parents. I never even played soccer as a kid (except gym class) but have become a fan because I lived in Europe for several years and my kids are into it.

Comment

Any season a kid may fall in love with the game via town soccer. They may go beyond that they may not. All of that is great as it's part of the bigger picture of getting as many kids playing, and keeping them playing.

But if you have a kid that is talented and driven, playing at a high level and enjoying that, you are NOT an azzwhole for keeping them as far away from town ball as you can.

I have a kid playing at a high level and he won't be putting on a town shirt any time soon. Yet I still serve on my town club's board because I want a soccer platform for everyone and I want kids to get that chance to love the game and to play it at the highest level for them, whatever that is.
                        Different poster and same here. Happy to give some of my time to help the town program, which is heavy ulittles learning the basics. That's where it starts. I just wish town travel hadn't basically dissolved the way it has, or even state level premier competition. It wasn't that long ago that travel and premier state cup tournaments were a big deal with solid competition. Now we're all driving past one another on the highway. Some families can't afford the time and money for premier, and by 7th or 8th grade there's few options for older kids that want to play for fun. You just hope they stick with it and go out for their HS teams and have a good experience, even if they don't play as much as the club kids. Build the fan base

Comment

"I want kids to get that chance to love the game and to play it at the highest level for them, whatever that is."

A thousand times YES.

Comment

The board in our town strangles the life out of the program. First it was a guy who knew nothing about soccer and snuffed the people that knew the game and volunteered. Now it's a washed up old player, she thinks it can return to glory days. Thankfully, we left with my son several years back. YES, the board is the major issue

Comment

op here - kids won't become fans of the sport if they have negative experiences. Of course many will drop out of soccer (and other sports )by the high school years because they lose interest, but hopefully they don't look back and think negatively about it - or their parents. I never even played soccer as a kid (except gym class) but have become a fan because I lived in Europe for several years and my kids are into it.
                              Sometimes the kids want to continue to play but feel left out by social cliques within the team. Over time this wears away the confidence and outweighs the love they had for playing.

Comment

Sometimes the kids want to continue to play but feel left out by social cliques within the team. Over time this wears away the confidence and outweighs the love they had for playing.
                                Yes but that can happen in any sport. It's one of many reasons why kids who start sports don't always stick with it. They lose interest, decide to focus on other activities or sports they're stronger at, social/emotional issues (mean girls on some teams are a real thing). High costs and too much travel are a problem with all sports too, but soccer's in the top 3 for costs + absurdity. At least some other sports also still offer a chance for HS athletes to get recruited - basketball, football etc. For soccer recruiting it's all about pricey club soccer

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X