Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS Soccer in PA

So what's the consensus on HS soccer in PA? Daughter is starting HS this year, coming from an ECNL club she was shocked at the lax attitude of the older players at the first few practices (most are town team players). Said the coach was pretty good though. I'm sure things are very good at Pennridge, Stoga, etc. but what is the level of play for the teams outside of the top 10-15 programs? Is it more social than competitive? Squeezing 18 or so games into a 9 week season seems like a recipe for injuries. Do most teams carry a big bench?

My daughter played ECNL and high school soccer. Her high school team was terrible but she was in it for the social aspect and enjoyed it, though it was terrible soccer. She was also a team captain and it really gave her some leadership experience as well. So it really didn’t develop her game, but she developed more as a person and is now playing in college. You have to balance that with injuries. These girls could play 3-4 per week and injury rate is high. My daughter got knocked out by injuries in 2 of her 4 high school seasons,which also caused her to miss playing time with her club, and it did set her game game back during the recruiting years. That being said, She still achieved her goal to play in college and she wouldn’t have traded the experience. A lot of these girls play for the fun of it and was a nice break for the seriousness and ultra competiveness of ECNL. Each kid is different and has to weigh the options that are best for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      My daughter played ECNL and high school soccer. Her high school team was terrible but she was in it for the social aspect and enjoyed it, though it was terrible soccer. She was also a team captain and it really gave her some leadership experience as well. So it really didn’t develop her game, but she developed more as a person and is now playing in college. You have to balance that with injuries. These girls could play 3-4 per week and injury rate is high. My daughter got knocked out by injuries in 2 of her 4 high school seasons,which also caused her to miss playing time with her club, and it did set her game game back during the recruiting years. That being said, She still achieved her goal to play in college and she wouldn’t have traded the experience. A lot of these girls play for the fun of it and was a nice break for the seriousness and ultra competiveness of ECNL. Each kid is different and has to weigh the options that are best for them.
      Great honest feedback.

Comment

Stoga! Stoga! Stoga!

Comment

Stoga! Stoga! Stoga!
          #Pennridgeproud!

Comment

Refereeing is usually terrible which contributes toward the injuries. That is the real concern.

Comment

#Pennridgeproud!
              LOL what a joke

Comment

Refereeing is usually terrible which contributes toward the injuries. That is the real concern.
                Yes, referees everywhere else are much more highly trained, experienced, and paid and they never miss any calls?!

Comment

So what's the consensus on HS soccer in PA? Daughter is starting HS this year, coming from an ECNL club she was shocked at the lax attitude of the older players at the first few practices (most are town team players). Said the coach was pretty good though. I'm sure things are very good at Pennridge, Stoga, etc. but what is the level of play for the teams outside of the top 10-15 programs? Is it more social than competitive? Squeezing 18 or so games into a 9 week season seems like a recipe for injuries. Do most teams carry a big bench?
                  Listen, if you want to thumb your nose for whatever reason at whichever league, have at it ... plenty of reasons to crucify HS, ECNL, GA, MLSn, ECRL, EDP, NPL ..... and most do. If your kid simply loves the game, it is a chance for her to play 5 or 6 days a week. Will it be Barcelona training? Nope ... and neither is ECNL ... but you aren't scoffing at that. As I told my kids, everything you do is what you make it or allow it to be. Tell your kid to chill and take it all in freshman year and then try her best to be her best .... every single day. For whatever it is worth, your 14 year old likely has not played against 17-19 year olds for long, ever. Now she has a chance to. And while some struggle with the game, many are simply bigger, faster, and tougher than her. Likely better and smarter too. If you let her sit back and complain, make her quit now as it is a long 4 years. My kids (boy and 2 girls) also play in high level leagues and still love HS soccer where they can do far more than they normally do on their club teams and they are all molding into leaders on and off the field. My advice to you is not to worry about all of the stuff you can not control like # of games and size of the bench. She just needs to be one of the 11 starters and then the bench size is unimportant. PS - ECNL squishes most of their games into a short spring season too ... add in some tournaments in there and it is not far different than HS. GA/GDA/MLSn often spread their games out, but, in my experience, scrimmage quite a bit in practice and still pick up some friendlies. Lots of play there too ... its the only way for kids to improve .... and, yes, some get hurt. Enjoy the ride it ends quickly and playing night games (especially friday night games) in front of all of your friends and classmates never gets old and HS rivalries are unparalleled ... one of the last places kids get to exhibit and work their local pride over common, local opponents.

Be careful, the next time you blink it will be over.

Comment

Listen, if you want to thumb your nose for whatever reason at whichever league, have at it ... plenty of reasons to crucify HS, ECNL, GA, MLSn, ECRL, EDP, NPL ..... and most do. If your kid simply loves the game, it is a chance for her to play 5 or 6 days a week. Will it be Barcelona training? Nope ... and neither is ECNL ... but you aren't scoffing at that. As I told my kids, everything you do is what you make it or allow it to be. Tell your kid to chill and take it all in freshman year and then try her best to be her best .... every single day. For whatever it is worth, your 14 year old likely has not played against 17-19 year olds for long, ever. Now she has a chance to. And while some struggle with the game, many are simply bigger, faster, and tougher than her. Likely better and smarter too. If you let her sit back and complain, make her quit now as it is a long 4 years. My kids (boy and 2 girls) also play in high level leagues and still love HS soccer where they can do far more than they normally do on their club teams and they are all molding into leaders on and off the field. My advice to you is not to worry about all of the stuff you can not control like # of games and size of the bench. She just needs to be one of the 11 starters and then the bench size is unimportant. PS - ECNL squishes most of their games into a short spring season too ... add in some tournaments in there and it is not far different than HS. GA/GDA/MLSn often spread their games out, but, in my experience, scrimmage quite a bit in practice and still pick up some friendlies. Lots of play there too ... its the only way for kids to improve .... and, yes, some get hurt. Enjoy the ride it ends quickly and playing night games (especially friday night games) in front of all of your friends and classmates never gets old and HS rivalries are unparalleled ... one of the last places kids get to exhibit and work their local pride over common, local opponents.

Be careful, the next time you blink it will be over.
                    PS - Meant to throw in, roll with the punches as a freshman and then work hard to make it better every year after!

Comment

If your kid plays in one of the higher classifications, HS soccer is well worth playing. The idea that club soccer is so much better than HS soccer is an absolute farce. The officiating in club is better, which leads to a slightly cleaner game, but it's the same boot and chase style that is so prevalent in the ECNL/GAL on down.

Most club players love HS soccer because it's pressure-free fun.

I've had several kids go through HS soccer and met many parents who thought their kids were too good for it. I can say without hesitation, they were not. Good players, yes. Dominant? Not even close.

Comment

If your kid plays in one of the higher classifications, HS soccer is well worth playing. The idea that club soccer is so much better than HS soccer is an absolute farce. The officiating in club is better, which leads to a slightly cleaner game, but it's the same boot and chase style that is so prevalent in the ECNL/GAL on down.

Most club players love HS soccer because it's pressure-free fun.

I've had several kids go through HS soccer and met many parents who thought their kids were too good for it. I can say without hesitation, they were not. Good players, yes. Dominant? Not even close.
                        Hahahaha. What an overreaching and pompus statement about those that donot choose hs soccer. Like picking leagues to olay, the choice to play hs or not is personal.

Comment

HS Soccer in PA

Hahahaha. What an overreaching and pompus statement about those that donot choose hs soccer. Like picking leagues to olay, the choice to play hs or not is personal.
                          Not always a personal choice - some clubs/coaches are not letting their players play HS UNLESS they make Varsity - players need to put the work in and not dictate to coaches what and where they play different teams need different things from players

Comment

Stoga with an early season loss to Radnor. How good is this Radnor team?

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
                              Stoga with an early season loss to Radnor. How good is this Radnor team?
                              It doesn't matter. They'll never beat VJM.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X