Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    How are the college soccer outcomes for local ODP players?
    What part of "better players don't do ODP " and "college coaches don't care about ODP" do you not get?

Comment

What part of "better players don't do ODP " and "college coaches don't care about ODP" do you not get?
      Any college coaches here, or ODP graduates playing in college willing to weigh in here?
      My gut tells me this guy is wrong.

Comment

Any college coaches here, or ODP graduates playing in college willing to weigh in here?
        My gut tells me this guy is wrong.
        Odp is certainly another resume builder piece, but not needed. Plenty of top extra training opportunities. Our conference finds ourselves gravitating more to the maturing EU womens acadamy youth players syttem. The training model is more like the mens plus it gives us some much needed roster diversification. Southern Apac is also gaining some traction.

Comment

Odp is certainly another resume builder piece, but not needed. Plenty of top extra training opportunities. Our conference finds ourselves gravitating more to the maturing EU womens acadamy youth players syttem. The training model is more like the mens plus it gives us some much needed roster diversification. Southern Apac is also gaining some traction.
          Absolutely not needed. Resume fluff,
          throw awayline on a player bio. If quality players have it on their bios, they aren't on that college roster because of ODP.

One thing that hasn't helped ODP* is the elimination of early recruiting. Women's coaches especially were looking for those young diamonds to lock in early. Now they can't lock them in - all to the good if course. Having 8th graders commit is insanity.

* also contributing to its demise is the rise of BDA/MLS and ECNL. Their showcase opportunities are much bigger than ODP. Many clubs discourage ODP participation and realistically league schedules make it a challenge to participate regularly in ODP.

It's a pity because not all quality players have access to high level leagues. Such a system takes out some of the club influences on player identification. But no one seems very interested in rebuilding it. Many state organizations aren't putting an effort behind it, nor national leadership.

Comment

A pity indeed ,that goes for Nescac,Prep schools and Ivy League all bastions of the privileged rich.

Comment

How are the college soccer outcomes for local ODP players?
              Everyone wants to validate their own experience. I agree that ODP is unnecessary in today’s landscape. I also think it can be helpful for some players and their families, especially those with top players outside the alphabet leagues considering the commitment and pursuit of D1 dreams. ODP is a good litmus test.

Comment

Everyone wants to validate their own experience. I agree that ODP is unnecessary in today’s landscape. I also think it can be helpful for some players and their families, especially those with top players outside the alphabet leagues considering the commitment and pursuit of D1 dreams. ODP is a good litmus test.
                I didn’t actually answer your Q. I view ODP in 8th grade and the Boca experience as THE moment when she (and we) decided it made sense to change clubs and make alphabet League commitment. ODP was a critical moment on her pathway, the league as the marketing claims really provided the college opportunity. ODP validated that while it could be worth it

Comment

Yes a good test in middle school, which is also when many good players still participate. Anything past U14 it all falls apart. You can see how you square up vs others, especially on the regional team

Comment

List has been posted, congratulations to all who made the regional pool.

Comment

The list will be here eventually- https://www.usyouthsoccer.org/east/odp-girls-east/

As to the ODP hate... there are several threads of extensive trashing, and some earnest defenses. but I get the sense that most of the haters really are just hating for hating sake.

the chances that they've had their kids through the regional pool selection and have traveled to any regional events is exceedingly slim. and I seriously doubt any that have made it into the national pools would bother posting here either. but whatever.

as for local success for ODP players... pretty sure both Mewis sisters played. but whatever

Comment

The list will be here eventually- https://www.usyouthsoccer.org/east/odp-girls-east/

As to the ODP hate... there are several threads of extensive trashing, and some earnest defenses. but I get the sense that most of the haters really are just hating for hating sake.

the chances that they've had their kids through the regional pool selection and have traveled to any regional events is exceedingly slim. and I seriously doubt any that have made it into the national pools would bother posting here either. but whatever.

as for local success for ODP players... pretty sure both Mewis sisters played. but whatever
                        Much has changed since then.

Comment

anybody care?
                          No. Nobody

Comment

Much has changed since then.
                            I know right?. ECNL or bust. Play or die. There is only one true way.

Comment

I know right?. ECNL or bust. Play or die. There is only one true way.
                              There were a lot of ECNL girls at the ID camp. Many of them were not selected. ODP like ECNL is NOT a necessary pathway but can build valuable experience and expose players to college coaches in a broader region. Some of the haters are snobs and some are just sour grapes when their Mia doesn't get picked.

Comment

There were a lot of ECNL girls at the ID camp. Many of them were not selected. ODP like ECNL is NOT a necessary pathway but can build valuable experience and expose players to college coaches in a broader region. Some of the haters are snobs and some are just sour grapes when their Mia doesn't get picked.
                                This is spot on

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X