Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training Question

Is it standard for ECNL teams to have standard training of just rolling out the ball and scrimmage at every practice. My DD is at Seattle United ENCL and all they seem to do is remdial technical skills and just scrimmage. Maybe it is because no one seems to know who the coach will be to show up at practice but just curious from other clubs.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Is it standard for ECNL teams to have standard training of just rolling out the ball and scrimmage at every practice. My DD is at Seattle United ENCL and all they seem to do is remdial technical skills and just scrimmage. Maybe it is because no one seems to know who the coach will be to show up at practice but just curious from other clubs.
    Maybe that is why SU is so bad on the girls program. XFIRE gets the best youngers as the SU leadership is alseep at the wheel. Every club closes the gap each year based on technical skills and understanding of how to play. They seem to have gone down competitively in the least 3 years.

Comment

What age group does she play for?

Comment

Depending on the ages the best thing they can do is a scrimmage . In most countries kids are playing at school or with friends at the younger ages learning the basics with their peers . Here in the states everything has to be coach orientated . It’s so robotic and premeditated which is why most of the kids fall off by the older age groups .They will learn far more from playing then they ever will do from mind numbing drills around cones .

Comment

Depending on the ages the best thing they can do is a scrimmage . In most countries kids are playing at school or with friends at the younger ages learning the basics with their peers . Here in the states everything has to be coach orientated . It’s so robotic and premeditated which is why most of the kids fall off by the older age groups .They will learn far more from playing then they ever will do from mind numbing drills around cones .
          This is exactly correct. In my club almost all technical training is done using variations on the basic 4 v 1 rondo. Tactical training is based on multi-zone, positional rondos.

Comment

Depending on the ages the best thing they can do is a scrimmage . In most countries kids are playing at school or with friends at the younger ages learning the basics with their peers . Here in the states everything has to be coach orientated . Its so robotic and premeditated which is why most of the kids fall off by the older age groups .They will learn far more from playing then they ever will do from mind numbing drills around cones .
            I agree with this but I think the problem goes deeper. In other countries there are definitely coach oriented trainings that are valuable. But it is generally more balanced and there is more kid oriented play like scrimmages, as you mention. In other countries the soccer/sport environment is a bit more nurturing as well. Versus our relentless demeaning and benching of kids, and only playing the tippy toppiest most elitest most impactful kid at a given age. My opinion is we suck in the US because of a combination of only structured coach time at clubs and then the bigger problem is the non practice times. Kids just don't play soccer outside of practice. Yes you see parents forcing pickup games to occur, but with no consistency to make it useful as a whole. Yes you see parents taking their kids to an empty field and running them through drills. This is all parent focused vs kid focused as well. Kids just don't play in the streets with each other every day unsupervised. Kids barely play soccer at recess because they share the field space or there are not enough soccer kids to join in. The culture of soccer outside of the clubs in the US is just non existent or ignorant. Parents seem to really really think clubs are the end all be all of creating a good player and that kids should not be "playing down" in age or skill or playing anything other than max effort ECNL ball. Or kids should not play indoor because it "ruins their touch" by using the wall. Or kids should only play at one club forever. Or kids should not do Futsal because it doesn't represent the outdoor game. Or kids should not do coerver because it creates a "coerver kid". Or kids should not do Toca because its not a full size ball. Or kids should not spend time juggling because it is not used in a game........This list goes on and on. I literally have heard all of those comments from multiple parents (and surprisingly coaches). The reality is soccer is dynamic. If you want your kid to be good they should experience dynamic play that makes them think about situations and how they instinctively use their skill. And they need to do it in both relaxed play and competitive play. And they should have free play in dynamic situations every day....and that doesn't mean it has to be hyper aggressive competitive soccer each and every day. I can hear parents now saying "playing with good kids make kids better". I call BS when I hear that. That is only a small part of the equation. Let's use an overused example of kids playing in streets in a third world country and then become the next great pro. What we are really saying is. The kid had nothing better to do and no access to other resources but got a soccer ball and spent hours out in the back alley with a 10 year age span of kids just playing and playing and playing until the sun goes down....and then playing some more. And somehow they became great through free play and tons of touches, without a club and without structure, then a pro club notices them at 13 and trains them in a more structured format. Which means the kids first develop the thousands of dynamic touches before a club would even notice them. (Note: yes I simplified that example)

Comment

That seems like two different issues --a) lack of consistent coaching and lack of proper expectations communicated to players and/or coaches about who will coach the team at practice; and b) the type of practice conducted. Do you think it should be more tactical?

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post

I agree with this but I think the problem goes deeper. In other countries there are definitely coach oriented trainings that are valuable. But it is generally more balanced and there is more kid oriented play like scrimmages, as you mention. In other countries the soccer/sport environment is a bit more nurturing as well. Versus our relentless demeaning and benching of kids, and only playing the tippy toppiest most elitest most impactful kid at a given age. My opinion is we suck in the US because of a combination of only structured coach time at clubs and then the bigger problem is the non practice times. Kids just don't play soccer outside of practice. Yes you see parents forcing pickup games to occur, but with no consistency to make it useful as a whole. Yes you see parents taking their kids to an empty field and running them through drills. This is all parent focused vs kid focused as well. Kids just don't play in the streets with each other every day unsupervised. Kids barely play soccer at recess because they share the field space or there are not enough soccer kids to join in. The culture of soccer outside of the clubs in the US is just non existent or ignorant. Parents seem to really really think clubs are the end all be all of creating a good player and that kids should not be "playing down" in age or skill or playing anything other than max effort ECNL ball. Or kids should not play indoor because it "ruins their touch" by using the wall. Or kids should only play at one club forever. Or kids should not do Futsal because it doesn't represent the outdoor game. Or kids should not do coerver because it creates a "coerver kid". Or kids should not do Toca because its not a full size ball. Or kids should not spend time juggling because it is not used in a game........This list goes on and on. I literally have heard all of those comments from multiple parents (and surprisingly coaches). The reality is soccer is dynamic. If you want your kid to be good they should experience dynamic play that makes them think about situations and how they instinctively use their skill. And they need to do it in both relaxed play and competitive play. And they should have free play in dynamic situations every day....and that doesn't mean it has to be hyper aggressive competitive soccer each and every day. I can hear parents now saying "playing with good kids make kids better". I call BS when I hear that. That is only a small part of the equation. Let's use an overused example of kids playing in streets in a third world country and then become the next great pro. What we are really saying is. The kid had nothing better to do and no access to other resources but got a soccer ball and spent hours out in the back alley with a 10 year age span of kids just playing and playing and playing until the sun goes down....and then playing some more. And somehow they became great through free play and tons of touches, without a club and without structure, then a pro club notices them at 13 and trains them in a more structured format. Which means the kids first develop the thousands of dynamic touches before a club would even notice them. (Note: yes I simplified that example)
                Agree . It’s far easier to create lump and chase players as that’s the easiest part of the game to teach . I rarely see truly creative players . If they do show promise it’s soon coached out of them to become a cog of a run of the mill 2 passes and then push it down the channels team . Usa will never win a major competitive tournament on the men’s side .

Comment

This is exactly correct. In my club almost all technical training is done using variations on the basic 4 v 1 rondo. Tactical training is based on multi-zone, positional rondos.
                  Which club is this?

Comment

Heck, i would be happy with a midfielder that could get a decent through ball to a player make a run.

Comment

Which club is this?
                      WFC Rangers

Comment

Love this! Spot on….

Comment

Do most clubs cover all areas of technical training in practice?

Comment

You are kidding, right?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X