Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    And in general, I agree with this. Technique before tactics before strategy. Don't bother teach 10-year-olds zonal marking and such.

But there is a technique involved marking, and in every 1v1 situation (ignoring 50/50 balls) there is one player with the ball who is trying to keep it, and one player without who is trying to take it away; and being able to dispossess someone (without fouling) is a learned skill every bit as much as being able to get past the defender.

And defenders who are good with their feet (think Van Dijk or Kante, or Diego Chara at the MLS level) are valuable.

Yet there are too many clubs out there who seem to take the view that defense is where you put the players whose ball skills are lacking, who are then told that their job is little more than hustle, hacking, and hoofing it.
    “Get it out of there” she shrills from her folding chair with umbrella

Comment

So they aren't a non-profit entity or a mission based neighborhood youth sports club serving a geographically defined Oregon community.

Conversely, it's a private foriegn business endeavor that slides ex-GPS staffers into the local S.D.A. school framework so they can secure a field while running their $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ enterprise.

They are based near Mall 205 & as most Oregonians know it's a historic destination for 'shopping' and has become the Covid/Woke nightly riot mob starting point.

To wit, it's also a great place for the slighted/passed over youth soccer players to conduct business during the pandemic.

BTW all business's can be called a for profit club, if you need to create a label.

Let's us know when they become a non-profit soccer club that serves it's membership and community....

Woke.
      Easy Tiger....is right.

Can't argue with ya.

Comment

So let me get this straight...

SCA is an Oregon club that competes in the PSPL (2nd tier league) in WA. Parents are paying 2,500+ a year, they drive up to Seattle and Spokane every other weekend to play games, they play in WA Cup, and still didn't manage to win any titles?

In one of the age groups that SCA competed in, Nortac Sparta and MIFC (a select club on Mercer Island I guess?) played in the final....I haven't even heard of these clubs before!

How can you honestly justify paying that much money, traveling all over the PNW, playing in "competitive friendlies" during the week, and then not even getting results?

I guess training 4 days a week is the only way they'll be able to compete against those highly competitive PSPL Clubs...You know, those ones that only train twice a week on 1/4th of a soccer field that cost a fraction of what SCA charges.

Comment

So let me get this straight...

SCA is an Oregon club that competes in the PSPL (2nd tier league) in WA. Parents are paying 2,500+ a year, they drive up to Seattle and Spokane every other weekend to play games, they play in WA Cup, and still didn't manage to win any titles?

In one of the age groups that SCA competed in, Nortac Sparta and MIFC (a select club on Mercer Island I guess?) played in the final....I haven't even heard of these clubs before!

How can you honestly justify paying that much money, traveling all over the PNW, playing in "competitive friendlies" during the week, and then not even getting results?

I guess training 4 days a week is the only way they'll be able to compete against those highly competitive PSPL Clubs...You know, those ones that only train twice a week on 1/4th of a soccer field that cost a fraction of what SCA charges.

Go you. In the three point game with 10yr olds.

Comment

Learned Something

I visited the SCA web site and learned something. If you get a degree in something stupid like geography or anthropology you are going to end up coaching soccer or making me coffee.

Comment

Learned Something? what a dumb statement. it is well known that SCA has some of the best coaching for young player development. Really do not understand why so many feel threatened by this group as they are a nice addition to the OR soccer community.

Comment

Learned Something? what a dumb statement. it is well known that SCA has some of the best coaching for young player development. Really do not understand why so many feel threatened by this group as they are a nice addition to the OR soccer community.
                Ya, cmon guys! Everyone knows that whats-his-face and that one guy, along with whatever her name is are the best coaches in this area.

The irony of this whole thing is that SCA isn't even a part of OR's soccer community. What a dumb statement. They literally don't even play here.

"Hey kiddos, I'm coach John Doe. Come on out to our baseball field and join our Oregon soccer club! Our next 3 matches are in Spokane, Edmonds, and Bellevue. I watched your son do some toe taps in trainings and I couldn't help but notice how incredibly talented he is. I think if your son joins our team, he might be able to help us take down our arch league rivals Mickie Mouse FC. Want to know the best part? It will only cost you double what an actual OR Club charges. What do you guys think?"

Comment

I've heard positive things about the coaching.

BEST coaching? That, OTOH, is a rather strong claim.

Comment

It's a back pocket $$$ development scheme private biz baby...not to be confused with traditional Oregon youth club soccer.

Only young players allowed since their parents have not 1 clue bout soccer, yet alone 'club' soccer or why they are paying fees for turf time at the SDA outpost.

Comment

SCA coaching is probably a bit better than most clubs. Some of the leagues they have played in are not that great. The tuition cost is too high. I really don't understand why anyone feels threatened by them.

Comment

SCA coaching is probably a bit better than most clubs. Some of the leagues they have played in are not that great. The tuition cost is too high. I really don't understand why anyone feels threatened by them.
                        No one feels threatened by them. Coaching is average at best.

Comment

SCA is an interesting deal. Only team around that I know of that can survive despite the fact they do not play OYSA. Think about that. Because of the nonprofit situation they have to play elsewhere and are still able to get parents/ kids to play for them.

That says alot.

We have played them in tournaments as well as friendlies and I always come away thinking the team is good with their feet, passing and scoring. Again, team defense wasn't particularly good.

I appreciate how they played and could easily tell what they stress and what they do not. I wish our club would do a better job coaching 1 on 1's and foot work.... But glad we teach D.

Comment

SCA is an interesting deal. Only team around that I know of that can survive despite the fact they do not play OYSA. Think about that. Because of the nonprofit situation they have to play elsewhere and are still able to get parents/ kids to play for them.

That says alot.

We have played them in tournaments as well as friendlies and I always come away thinking the team is good with their feet, passing and scoring. Again, team defense wasn't particularly good.

I appreciate how they played and could easily tell what they stress and what they do not. I wish our club would do a better job coaching 1 on 1's and foot work.... But glad we teach D.
                            They have some technical players because they recruited a bunch of futsal kids. Not sure you can say SCA developed them. They can hardly field teams. They always have a bunch of guest players to supplement the squad. They are scrambling to stay afloat.

Comment

They have some technical players because they recruited a bunch of futsal kids. Not sure you can say SCA developed them. They can hardly field teams. They always have a bunch of guest players to supplement the squad. They are scrambling to stay afloat.
                              SCAm......hello

Comment

Ok everyone needs to sit down! I'm sick and tired of hearing the SCA bashing. Unless you have attended an SCA training session, or watched one in its entirety, then you just need to sit down. What's the point of all this negativity except you are either jealous or want SCA to go out of business? SCA is located where it is because field space is tight. Olivia Moultrie's younger sister plays for SCA. Her parent's are not stupid and wouldn't put her in just any club. Yes, a large portion of the kids are from RCF and they are very good futsal players and soccer players. While other players were figuring out what to do, RCF took an elite group of kids to compete in Las Vegas this summer. When RCF went from 3 days a week to 2 days a week for their Futsal Development Program (you know, the talented kids who to go Futsal regional championships and nationals), they were told to go out and play soccer. So kids being kids, followed each other over to SCA because they like playing with the same group of mature players. Here is a fact- every SCA player who tried out for ODP made it last year. I'm not saying ODP is the greatest training environment, but this is a testament that those SCA players stood out. You will never hear an SCA coach yell "release", "kick it out of bound", "clear", or "let's work on 1 touch passing for an hour". How do I know this? Because my kid was on SCA (and the RCF top team for his age) and now he will be in the Timbers Discovery Program and also got an invite to go to OPD Inter Regionals in Florida where he gets a chance to earn a spot on the ODP USYS National Team. Guess what? His SCA team lost plenty of games and won some along the way, but he was put in a positive environment to develop. Every player has his/her own path and bashing a club you don't even know says something about you, not SCA.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X