Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State Cup conflicts with Proms & High School Graduations

How come FYSA never considers that this is time of the year for High school proms and graduations when scheduling state cup games? Why did they have to schedule the earliest games for U17's & 18's when they know some of those players had proms the night before and would have to drive through the night. Why couldnt the younger teams be early a.m. and all the oldest teams later. I know there are also some conflicts with High School graduations for the Final Four. Can't they check with all the coaches first to see if there are any conflicts to schedule around before they make a definite schedule? Is that really a big deal or am I missing something? Or do they just like that they have the power to make kids miss their proms and graduation?

This has been a problem for years and FYSA tried to address it but there isn't any real solution. Too many different dates and times for proms and graduations. There is no way to cover them all and someone is going to have a conflict and be unhappy no matter when it is. You just have to work around it best you can.

Comment

Actually, there is a solution.

Schedule u17's and u18's on Saturday mornings and Sunday afternoons beginning with the round of 16. There should be no conflict in the first round and very few in the second round of knockouts. Oh yeah and do not schedule games at a panhandle site.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        How come FYSA never considers that this is time of the year for High school proms and graduations when scheduling state cup games? Why did they have to schedule the earliest games for U17's & 18's when they know some of those players had proms the night before and would have to drive through the night. Why couldnt the younger teams be early a.m. and all the oldest teams later. I know there are also some conflicts with High School graduations for the Final Four. Can't they check with all the coaches first to see if there are any conflicts to schedule around before they make a definite schedule? Is that really a big deal or am I missing something? Or do they just like that they have the power to make kids miss their proms and graduation?
        You cannot be serious.

"Dear coach,
        Congratulations for making it to the final four of state cup.
        We realize that this may be a busy time for many people's social schedule, so please let us know when it would be most convenient for you to play your semi-final.
        We will get back to you when we hear from all the other coaches.
        We're fairly confident you will all ask for the same times, so resolving any conflicting priorities should only take another email or so.
        Just trying to make the world perfect for you.
        FYSA."

Comment

Actually, there is a solution.

Schedule u17's and u18's on Saturday mornings and Sunday afternoons beginning with the round of 16. There should be no conflict in the first round and very few in the second round of knockouts. Oh yeah and do not schedule games at a panhandle site.
          How does that help? My daughter had prom on Friday night so she had to drive all night to get to Sat morning game.

Comment

Most schools have proms on Saturday, but hey it could be different everywhere.

Comment

Most schools have proms on Saturday, but hey it could be different everywhere.
              I think that's the problem exactly for Proms but graduations are another story. I think most are during the week at night but there are a few on Saturday mornings sometimes. I know there are a few players on our club's U18 team who have a conflict with their school graduation for Final Four and one is a very strong player who has always been committed and never misses. Couldnt final four games be at night on Saturday and afternoon on Sunday just for U18's who have a graduation? Is that really that hard to make work?

Comment

There are MANY high schools around the state holding graduation ceremonies on the morning of May 22nd. I overheard some parents talking about flying players to 1PM games! Also heard discussions about missing graduation ceremonies. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Comment

This is why I am home schooling my 8 year old girl. she gets to practice soccer 3 hours a day as well as get her work done. Plus I do not have to worry about any boys doing anything to her at the prom/

Comment

This is why I am home schooling my 8 year old girl. she gets to practice soccer 3 hours a day as well as get her work done. Plus I do not have to worry about any boys doing anything to her at the prom/
                    So what? You're going to lock her in her room until she graduates? She's going to run into boys sooner or later, prom or not.

Comment

You made it to the final four. If you don't want to play that weekend, you should have played lousy like some of the girls on my daughter's team did. Now we are done and they can party until they leave for college. It's hard to believe these girls think they are going to be fine playing in college. I suppose I can understand graduation a little bit, but that is why they roster 22 people. There cannot really be that many graduations on a Saturday morning. You just think your team cannot win without you.

Comment

These posts must be from parents of players who are not real serious players, and also must be girls. I can tell you there is no way my son misses a final four semi final for his school graduation. Are you kidding me. Especially at U18 how do you miss final four? Who cares about graduation. You walk up for 5 seconds and get a piece of paper you'll never look at again. All you soccer moms need to get a life and realize that final four this year at the new complex will be the biggest final four ever and if your kid misses their chance to play in the state championship they will regret it forever.

Comment

These posts must be from parents of players who are not real serious players, and also must be girls. I can tell you there is no way my son misses a final four semi final for his school graduation. Are you kidding me. Especially at U18 how do you miss final four? Who cares about graduation. You walk up for 5 seconds and get a piece of paper you'll never look at again. All you soccer moms need to get a life and realize that final four this year at the new complex will be the biggest final four ever and if your kid misses their chance to play in the state championship they will regret it forever.
                          I think if they miss their graduation after putting 13 years into their education - their should be a compromise or a solution to this problem - kids should not be told to miss their graduation to "prove" they are serious soccer players - they should be able to do both - girl or boy mom or dad - these are two big events in a young persons life and they should be able to enjoy them both

Comment

I think if they miss their graduation after putting 13 years into their education - their should be a compromise or a solution to this problem - kids should not be told to miss their graduation to "prove" they are serious soccer players - they should be able to do both - girl or boy mom or dad - these are two big events in a young persons life and they should be able to enjoy them both
                            I think its a great life lesson at a relatively early age that the powers to be do not always have any idea what they are doing...those in charge and in positions of authority are not always making decisions that make sense. This is a great opportunity for teaching young women and men that THEY have the challenge as they get older to step into positions of power and authority and make the changes they feel make sense for their own benefit. Learn, learn~!

Comment

This seems much to do about nothing if you ask me. Who is missing their graduation in 2 weeks? Which school is it?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X