Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hockey, swimming and LAX are also heavily white. Like the poster alluded to how much of that is income driven
    vs popularity? Its hard to separate income and race in this country. Pool and ice time costs a fortune and easy access is an issue in cities. Lax, while growing quickly, is still a very small sport nationally and definitely has a white frat boy reputation. Basketball, football and to a lesser extent baseball are not nearly as white. Those sports have a greater network of lower cost programs run by parent volunteers who have extensive experience themselves with the sports. Those sports still afford opportunities to get noticed in HS by college coaches. With soccer it's all about pricey travel leagues. A top player might get scholarships based on income need, but those scholarships are few and far between. A top boy may make it to a free to play MLS club, if his parents live near a club.
    And why is income a “dirty” word. Your statement makes a connotation that any sport that is using your term is “heavily white” is therefore a rich mans sport. Most of the families at the club my daughter plays are middle class at most and are hard working people who choose to spend their money how they see fit. You have parents who come on this site who want to make income/race an issue. Show me a club that denies a player a spot because of ethnicity or if I saw/heard of that conduct then I would absolutely leave that club. Income is not a reason.

Comment

You are simply not finding lower income families represented in expensive soccer or lax or hockey or swimming, etc. The industry is engineered to serve customers with enough disposable income to pay. There are very few exceptions to this. That is not racist, that is a fact.

The analogy of the country club is about you need to have a certain level of income to belong. Not that you need to be a certain race.

Comment

In the US race and wealth are strongly correlated. Proportionally more minorities are poor vs whites - but not all. Proportionally more middle to upper income households are white - but not all. Youth soccer is a sport best afforded by middle to upper income families, who are "more likely " to also be white. That is all.

Different poster
        Beg to differ. My kid played youth soccer with white, black, latino etc. Most black kids choose to go play football or basketball instead as they became teenagers. Had nothing to do with wealth. That's the sports they picked instead of soccer. Whether it was the kids or the parents choice who knows, but income had nothing to do with it.

Comment

Large Rosters

Beg to differ. My kid played youth soccer with white, black, latino etc. Most black kids choose to go play football or basketball instead as they became teenagers. Had nothing to do with wealth. That's the sports they picked instead of soccer. Whether it was the kids or the parents choice who knows, but income had nothing to do with it.
          soccer a hell lot cheaper than football!!!! soccer parents always complain like the little b-tches they are...they have no clue.

Comment

its club and premier activities in all genres that cost, along with likely private training

Comment

Basketball and football are still centered a lot around high school sports, so those sports more accessible to lower-income kids. Of course, for boys, they are also more popular too, so that is a big draw. But most kids start with soccer at an earlier age (ie. no one is playing basketball or football in kindergarten), so you would expect a greater percentage of black and latino kids would stick with it than they actually do.

Comment

Income is a “catch phrase” when it comes to people making the case that soccer is not available to low income individuals. That argument is a lot different than parents on this site stating “they like toying with rich kids”. Is there anyone who doesn’t understand the intent? That’s outright dealing from the bottom of the deck! I am a middle class guy who does not have a lot of disposable income and my kid plays club soccer. My money, my choice! Don’t start talking about income when we all know your trying to make these club racists. Most of these clubs coaches/trainers are not high income people and they come all different backgrounds. The vast majority of parents are like myself.

Comment

All you whites are criminals who need to hang your heads in shame for oppressing blacks and keeping us down - keeping us from succeeding, keeping us from making lots of money. Whites owe us and we will be coming for what is ours.

Comment

All you whites are criminals who need to hang your heads in shame for oppressing blacks and keeping us down - keeping us from succeeding, keeping us from making lots of money. Whites owe us and we will be coming for what is ours.
                    lolol

Comment

And why is income a “dirty” word. Your statement makes a connotation that any sport that is using your term is “heavily white” is therefore a rich mans sport. Most of the families at the club my daughter plays are middle class at most and are hard working people who choose to spend their money how they see fit. You have parents who come on this site who want to make income/race an issue. Show me a club that denies a player a spot because of ethnicity or if I saw/heard of that conduct then I would absolutely leave that club. Income is not a reason.
                      No one is accusing clubs of being racist but the reality is poorer families are disproportionately people of color. Lower income families just can't afford pricey club fees and travel costs. Nor is low income a dirty word, but as another said above the youth system caters to those who can afford it. Only at the free to play MLS clubs does skill win you a spot. Unfortunately now you have to struggle to play in $$ leagues up until middle school before you can get discovered and enter a program. Clubs do not offer scholarships often eventhough they could do much more if they wanted. The bottom line matters more to them.

Comment

Income is a “catch phrase” when it comes to people making the case that soccer is not available to low income individuals. That argument is a lot different than parents on this site stating “they like toying with rich kids”. Is there anyone who doesn’t understand the intent? That’s outright dealing from the bottom of the deck! I am a middle class guy who does not have a lot of disposable income and my kid plays club soccer. My money, my choice! Don’t start talking about income when we all know your trying to make these club racists. Most of these clubs coaches/trainers are not high income people and they come all different backgrounds. The vast majority of parents are like myself.
                        You make those choices and sacrifices because you chose to. Butbdontbassume your personal experience is representative of all because its not. Many (don't all) don't need to make choices between their kids' activities and taking a vacation. All they decide between is what type of activities their kids do.

Comment

lolol
                          Laugh all you want. We are coming for what is rightfully ours. President Biden and the Congress admit that it is rightfully ours and have said they will help us get it. We will have the last laugh you racist!!

Comment

Large Rosters

Laugh all you want. We are coming for what is rightfully ours. President Biden and the Congress admit that it is rightfully ours and have said they will help us get it. We will have the last laugh you racist!!
                            you are a racist...btw, i now identify as black....so ha!!!!
                            nwa4life

Comment

soccer a hell lot cheaper than football!!!! soccer parents always complain like the little b-tches they are...they have no clue.
                              ha ha they should try Lacrosse!!!

Comment

Large Rosters

ha ha they should try Lacrosse!!!
                                girls dance makes football, LaX and soccer look like welfare activities.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X