Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christian Eriksen and SCA - club and facility preparedness

The frightening situation with Christian Eriksen on Saturday led me to think about club and facility preparedness if, god forbid, something like that happened at a youth soccer game or practice. Does anyone know if the local clubs or school/city/county facilities have AEDs accessible?

My brother had a heart attack while playing in his adult rec league back east. A teammate did CPR until ambulance arrived with equipment. He was on a ventilator for several days in ICU but recovered. while this situation is pretty rare for kids, it could certainly happen to an adult ref or coach during a game. I don't know about club preparedness. I remember in middle school my kids had to learn CPR with their club but I don't think it was an annual thing.

Comment

CPR training is mandatory for WA coaches for what that's worth

Comment

Seattle United have an AED that goes with their Full time athletic trainer wherever she goes. They also have access to the AED when they are at the Seattle Public schools facilities.

Comment

How many clubs/facilities have AEDs on site during trainings, games and tournaments? Seems like soon it will be an issue if an organization doesn’t maintain one.

https://www.q13fox.com/sports/teen-a...rs-save-a-life

Comment

Starfire has AEDs out between fields.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
              Starfire has AEDs out between fields.
              Yes - that is what the linked article discusses. Good to know where those are located and that is great for PACNW and Reign. What about other club practice and game facilities where players spend almost all of their time playing ?

Comment

There is a popular phone app called pulsepoint AED which has the location and picture of the nearest to your location AED on it. Club owned AED's must be maintained at a certain standard of maintenance which can ad overhead or it might not actually be available god forbid you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                  CPR training is mandatory for WA coaches for what that's worth
                  So is safesport for the big clubs and you can see where that gets you. XF what? An AED is 100 times better than someone who snoozed through a CPR course 24 months ago. Wish they had a similar solution for inappropriate coaches.

Comment

So is safesport for the big clubs and you can see where that gets you. XF what? An AED is 100 times better than someone who snoozed through a CPR course 24 months ago. Wish they had a similar solution for inappropriate coaches.
                    Newsflash…if an AED is being used, CPR need to happen before and after.

Bottom line, if it were important to the clubs they’re incorporate CPR/AED training with their yearly coaching requirements instead of hoping a parent on the sidelines works in the medical field and can help.

Comment

If a Demar Hamlin situation happens in Wa it’s not going to end well.

Comment

What is really scary… the sudden cardiac arrest is pretty common in teens athletes. It doesn’t mean that kids have prominent and noticeable heart problems… just normal healthy kids. But combinations of several factors like hidden minor defects in heart, hormonal changes and extensive rapid cardio load could bring to that scary situation during the game/practice. For example, in Sweden, you can ask family doctor to perform basic not expensive tests to rule out that minor problem that could led to sudden cardiac arrest. You could just bring 2 points: your kid is athlete and in teenage years. I was asking our pediatrician about this - she said no test unless you have vivid symptoms.

Comment

What is really scary… the sudden cardiac arrest is pretty common in teens athletes. It doesn’t mean that kids have prominent and noticeable heart problems… just normal healthy kids. But combinations of several factors like hidden minor defects in heart, hormonal changes and extensive rapid cardio load could bring to that scary situation during the game/practice. For example, in Sweden, you can ask family doctor to perform basic not expensive tests to rule out that minor problem that could led to sudden cardiac arrest. You could just bring 2 points: your kid is athlete and in teenage years. I was asking our pediatrician about this - she said no test unless you have vivid symptoms.
                          Especially since most kids were forced to get Covid vaccine. May not be related but it sure as hell might be.

Comment

There is a local nonprofit (Nick of Time Foundation) that does screenings for free at different locations/times in the area. I think they post upcoming sessions on their website. Probably wouldn't catch everything - they wouldn't be doing MRIs to look at structural issues, for example - but they do EKGs that may flag an issue for you to take to pediatrician.

Comment

Especially since most kids were forced to get Covid vaccine. May not be related but it sure as hell might be.
                              It's more a problem that most kids have gotten Covid, which is 7 times more likely to cause myocarditis than getting the vaccine. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9467278/

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X