Maximizing Player Development

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I throw out a serious answer. The kid has to want to practice on their own and master the touch of the ball. Hopefully, the kid can run decently well, but if not your in for a long ride. Find a team that teaches the team how to play together (not long ball) one and two touch passes and movement off the ball. Find a private trainer to help with individual skills an remove any bad habits or find week spots so the kid can work on it own his own. Team coaches for how to play as a team. Don't waste your time on the coach that wins via kick and chase, find the coach that can break the ball hog of his habit and you found the right coach. Private coaches for individual skill mastery. Nothing can replace how much does the kid practice on his own.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I throw out a serious answer. The kid has to want to practice on their own and master the touch of the ball. Hopefully, the kid can run decently well, but if not your in for a long ride. Find a team that teaches the team how to play together (not long ball) one and two touch passes and movement off the ball. Find a private trainer to help with individual skills an remove any bad habits or find week spots so the kid can work on it own his own. Team coaches for how to play as a team. Don't waste your time on the coach that wins via kick and chase, find the coach that can break the ball hog of his habit and you found the right coach. Private coaches for individual skill mastery. Nothing can replace how much does the kid practice on his own.
      How could anyone not concur?

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;3019096]I throw out a serious answer. The kid has to want to practice on their own and master the touch of the ball. Hopefully, the kid can run decently well, but if not your in for a long ride. Find a team that teaches the team how to play together (not long ball) one and two touch passes and movement off the ball. Find a private trainer to help with individual skills an remove any bad habits or find week spots so the kid can work on it own his own. Team coaches for how to play as a team. Don't waste your time on the coach that wins via kick and chase, find the coach that can break the ball hog of his habit and you found the right coach. Private coaches for individual skill mastery. Nothing can replace how much does the kid practice on his

Parents are left to navigate the youth soccer system on their own. If a parent is able to do all of this, forgive me for asking. What the hell are we paying top dollars to these clubs and league for? I commend captain obvious for stating the obvious. The problem is the entire youth soccer system.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;3019214]
          I throw out a serious answer. The kid has to want to practice on their own and master the touch of the ball. Hopefully, the kid can run decently well, but if not your in for a long ride. Find a team that teaches the team how to play together (not long ball) one and two touch passes and movement off the ball. Find a private trainer to help with individual skills an remove any bad habits or find week spots so the kid can work on it own his own. Team coaches for how to play as a team. Don't waste your time on the coach that wins via kick and chase, find the coach that can break the ball hog of his habit and you found the right coach. Private coaches for individual skill mastery. Nothing can replace how much does the kid practice on his

Parents are left to navigate the youth soccer system on their own. If a parent is able to do all of this, forgive me for asking. What the hell are we paying top dollars to these clubs and league for? I commend captain obvious for stating the obvious. The problem is the entire youth soccer system.
          yes yes yes

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;3019214]
            I throw out a serious answer. The kid has to want to practice on their own and master the touch of the ball. Hopefully, the kid can run decently well, but if not your in for a long ride. Find a team that teaches the team how to play together (not long ball) one and two touch passes and movement off the ball. Find a private trainer to help with individual skills an remove any bad habits or find week spots so the kid can work on it own his own. Team coaches for how to play as a team. Don't waste your time on the coach that wins via kick and chase, find the coach that can break the ball hog of his habit and you found the right coach. Private coaches for individual skill mastery. Nothing can replace how much does the kid practice on his

It’s no coincidence that some of the emerging stars on US Men’s team had 1 or both parents play soccer at a high level. Because of that, those parents are very good at navigating the US (and European) youth soccer landscape. It shouldn’t be so hard.

Comment

The best advice I can add that will cover the majority of players, best coaches to find are those that work in life lessons into their sessions and learning lessons. Soccer as with all sports are a great area for learning in many ways that children do not get elsewhere.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;3019252]

It’s no coincidence that some of the emerging stars on US Men’s team had 1 or both parents play soccer at a high level. Because of that, those parents are very good at navigating the US (and European) youth soccer landscape. It shouldn’t be so hard.
                Basically you said nothing

Comment

Navigating the system isn't difficult. The reason athletes of pros or high-level college parents who played seem to have an easier time, not because they navigate the system as much as they know what it takes to make it.

Too often parents do not know what they need to do, or how to inspire their child to achieve greatness. Most have the best intentions.

We all know that one parent that pays, or plays games to get their kid on the top team but doesn't have the skill. That only takes you so far, even in club soccer, often these players sit the pine more than run the field. I have no doubt that parent is trying to navigating the system as they feel is best for their child, but is going to fail.

Comment

Navigating the system isn't difficult. The reason athletes of pros or high-level college parents who played seem to have an easier time, not because they navigate the system as much as they know what it takes to make it.

Too often parents do not know what they need to do, or how to inspire their child to achieve greatness. Most have the best intentions.

We all know that one parent that pays, or plays games to get their kid on the top team but doesn't have the skill. That only takes you so far, even in club soccer, often these players sit the pine more than run the field. I have no doubt that parent is trying to navigating the system as they feel is best for their child, but is going to fail.
                    I have heard "the game is the greatest teacher", and certainly agree with whoever posted that the kid needs to have the drive. Most of the other comments are pretty general. Let's hear from the parents whose kids did have the drive and talent, what helped the most to go along with it?

Comment

"Navigating the system isn't difficult." It's not difficult if you've had kids in the system for 10 years. Or like Giovanni Reyna "Reyna is the son of former Rangers, Sunderland, Manchester City, New York Red Bulls, and United States player Claudio Reyna, and Danielle Egan, a former member of the United States women's national soccer team" with parents that have been in the system for 35 years.

Have you tried to explain the levels, leagues and options to a family that is new to U.S. youth soccer. It is nearly impossible. And that's before you roll in club locations, commutes, financial commitments, etc.

Comment

I agree with everything except "breaking the ball hog". The best players are the ones most comfortable on the ball.

As long as they are being coached to keep their head up, and to be able to receive and distribute as well as anyone else, let them try to hold on to the ball until they draw a few defenders.

Don't teach them to get rid of the ball at the first sign of pressure. It won't help them later.

Comment

I have heard "the game is the greatest teacher", and certainly agree with whoever posted that the kid needs to have the drive. Most of the other comments are pretty general. Let's hear from the parents whose kids did have the drive and talent, what helped the most to go along with it?
                          Sometimes kids get into a funk and are only going through the motions, not really putting everything they can into practice or off the field sessions. It's important to find a proper motivator and most kids don't respond very well to parents at this point. Find a coach the kid respects to help the kid kick the motivation slump before it turns into a habit. The difference between good and great is the intensity.

Comment

I agree with everything except "breaking the ball hog". The best players are the ones most comfortable on the ball.

As long as they are being coached to keep their head up, and to be able to receive and distribute as well as anyone else, let them try to hold on to the ball until they draw a few defenders.

Don't teach them to get rid of the ball at the first sign of pressure. It won't help them later.
                            I'm pretty sure the poster meant "ball hog" as in the kid who tries to beat 3 players, not one on one situations. I've seen kids keep the ball when 4 kids were on him and he still refused to pass to the 3 open players - we've all seen it.

Comment

I have a kid that is a pretty high achieving player. She is incredibly self driven. She finds ways to train on her own. Always. She seeks out what top players are doing and how they are getting better….and figures out a way to replicate it. She can’t wait for practice and is upset if practice is cancelled, cut short, or if training is sub par. She works out early, late, on holidays…it doesn’t matter cause it’s what makes her happy.

For better or worse she is very singularly minded. She does well in school, she has friends, she has a social life, but they are all secondary to her drive for the game. As parents, we facilitate what we can and certainly have made some sacrifices to help along the way, but nothing crazy and have never pushed her to do anything.

What helped the most? Honestly, just supporting her and facilitating the training, travel, and not thinking her dreams were unrealistic.

Comment

I have a kid that is a pretty high achieving player. She is incredibly self driven. She finds ways to train on her own. Always. She seeks out what top players are doing and how they are getting better….and figures out a way to replicate it. She can’t wait for practice and is upset if practice is cancelled, cut short, or if training is sub par. She works out early, late, on holidays…it doesn’t matter cause it’s what makes her happy.

For better or worse she is very singularly minded. She does well in school, she has friends, she has a social life, but they are all secondary to her drive for the game. As parents, we facilitate what we can and certainly have made some sacrifices to help along the way, but nothing crazy and have never pushed her to do anything.

What helped the most? Honestly, just supporting her and facilitating the training, travel, and not thinking her dreams were unrealistic.
                                Was she always this way or did she develop stronger focus at a certain age?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X