Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I know lots of kids who graduated with middling 3.5 averages in run of the mill courses and had to go to third or fourth tier colleges at least in part because they spent too much time playing sports.
    Are you aware that Women’s college soccer (on the nations average) have the highest GPA’s in college athletics. Statistically each year women’s soccer are higher than any other sport. For those players in D1 they have mandatory study halls, academic advisors who help them with academics and tutors as well. I know lots of kids who learned at an early age to balance academics and soccer. Usually those highly competitive athletes are also highly competitive in the classroom.

Comment

I know lots of kids who graduated with middling 3.5 averages in run of the mill courses and had to go to third or fourth tier colleges at least in part because they spent too much time playing sports.
      Moronic post. Kids get out of school at 3 pm and have a minimum of 7 hours before they go to sleep. Soccer practice (including travel time) usually takes 2-3 hours. Are the kids not involved with sports studying for those 7 hours? I know lots of kids who don't participate in team sports who go to "middling" or worse colleges. Plase keep throwing anecdotal evidence at us. Every article I've ever seen states kids who participate in sports have a higher GPA on average and graduate at a higher clip that non-participating students. Please provide evidence to the contrary.

Comment

I think many of the kids who spend their time playing soccer could easily become potheads and drinkers if they weren't involved in sports. Who is to say that the 3.5 average isn't better than they'd have gotten without soccer, where they'd just be partying every day instead of training and hanging out with other motivated kids?

Comment

Are you aware that Women’s college soccer (on the nations average) have the highest GPA’s in college athletics. Statistically each year women’s soccer are higher than any other sport. For those players in D1 they have mandatory study halls, academic advisors who help them with academics and tutors as well. I know lots of kids who learned at an early age to balance academics and soccer. Usually those highly competitive athletes are also highly competitive in the classroom.
          Girls are a different animal than boys. Like someone mentioned above, a lot of boys don't take academics very seriously until well into HS and even college when they finally "get it" (I have two boys and I girl so I'm fully aware of the phenomena).

Grades absolutely matter in college recruiting - many coaches won't even look at you unless you're within range for a school's admissions office. This isn't football or basketball where studs barely meet NCAA requirements let alone a school's requirements. Those student athletes are going to struggle no matter how much tutoring you throw their way. D3 there is no academic sport so you better be able to manage your work load.

Comment

Moronic post. Kids get out of school at 3 pm and have a minimum of 7 hours before they go to sleep. Soccer practice (including travel time) usually takes 2-3 hours. Are the kids not involved with sports studying for those 7 hours? I know lots of kids who don't participate in team sports who go to "middling" or worse colleges. Plase keep throwing anecdotal evidence at us. Every article I've ever seen states kids who participate in sports have a higher GPA on average and graduate at a higher clip that non-participating students. Please provide evidence to the contrary.
            These days if you're not filling your afternoons with extra curriculars, sports, volunteering etc you're not impressing many admissions officers. Just having top grades and scores doesn't cut it. If you have just mediocre grades and little involvement in anything you will end up at 3rd rate schools and probably paying full boat for it too.

Comment

Nycfc

I think many of the kids who spend their time playing soccer could easily become potheads and drinkers if they weren't involved in sports. Who is to say that the 3.5 average isn't better than they'd have gotten without soccer, where they'd just be partying every day instead of training and hanging out with other motivated kids?
              just a reminder,
              the fastest man in water (michael phelps) and the fastest man on land (usain bolt) are both avid pot smokers....go figure.

Comment

just a reminder,
                the fastest man in water (michael phelps) and the fastest man on land (usain bolt) are both avid pot smokers....go figure.
                It's people like that poster that prevent us from having national pot legalization. They're like like Mitch McConnell, still stuck in the 1970s stoner stereotype.

Comment

It's people like that poster that prevent us from having national pot legalization. They're like like Mitch McConnell, still stuck in the 1970s stoner stereotype.
                  I mean not to hijack a thread but i think most parents dont want their 15 year olds smoking blunts after school if they can help it the same way i'd rather them not drinking booze. Legalized or not, it wont be legal for under 18s and pretty sure thats what we are talking about on an nycfc academy thread.

Comment

I mean not to hijack a thread but i think most parents dont want their 15 year olds smoking blunts after school if they can help it the same way i'd rather them not drinking booze. Legalized or not, it wont be legal for under 18s and pretty sure thats what we are talking about on an nycfc academy thread.
                    Most youth players come from middle and upper income families that value education. Yet even athletes partake plenty. Sports keeps them semi busy, not monastic. In fact many HS busts/scandals/suspensions often involve athletes.

Comment

Nycfc

yea ok, this is why your liberal slave masters pushed crack pop white old joe over 20 other democrap candidates that were either black, gay, younger, asian, woman and/or a wannabe native american. because they are still stuck in the 1970s.

Comment

NYCFC draws kids from a wide area. There are kids spending 2 or more hours a day just commuting to and from soccer practice. Add practice, and some kids are devoting 3-4 hours a day to soccer and getting home at 7 p.m. While young kids may only have an hour or two a day of homework, by the time kids get to high school, if they go to a good school and take honors classes, kids may be studying 5-6 hours a night. That means routinely working till after midnight every day even assuming just 15 minutes for a quick dinner. Can some kids do it. Sure. But not all kids.

Comment

NYCFC draws kids from a wide area. There are kids spending 2 or more hours a day just commuting to and from soccer practice. Add practice, and some kids are devoting 3-4 hours a day to soccer and getting home at 7 p.m. While young kids may only have an hour or two a day of homework, by the time kids get to high school, if they go to a good school and take honors classes, kids may be studying 5-6 hours a night. That means routinely working till after midnight every day even assuming just 15 minutes for a quick dinner. Can some kids do it. Sure. But not all kids.
                          Nor can many parents get them too and fro.

Comment

Girls are a different animal than boys. Like someone mentioned above, a lot of boys don't take academics very seriously until well into HS and even college when they finally "get it" (I have two boys and I girl so I'm fully aware of the phenomena).

Grades absolutely matter in college recruiting - many coaches won't even look at you unless you're within range for a school's admissions office. This isn't football or basketball where studs barely meet NCAA requirements let alone a school's requirements. Those student athletes are going to struggle no matter how much tutoring you throw their way. D3 there is no academic sport so you better be able to manage your work load.
                            Yeah I'd even go as far to say that Women's D1 college soccer is functionally equivalent to MLS pro academy. That is, the best programs have the best players and require significant dedication to succeed. However, if you look at those D1 programs, you will see a high correlation to excellent academics. So the fallback if you play at Stanford is, well, you have a degree from Stanford. The fallback from commuting hours a day for a MLS pro academy may mean a deeper understanding of dedication, risk/reward and failure (which are all great things to learn/experience) but also likely disadvantageous academically.

TL/DR: The upside for men is higher, but the downside for women is lower.

Comment

I think the original poster about schools was talking about getting into a top tier college. To say that "grades matter" for that is an understatement. You need to have a 3.8 or more in all honors or AP classes (plus a 1500+ SAT) to have a reasonable shot at that if you are non-diverse these days.

Comment

I think the original poster about schools was talking about getting into a top tier college. To say that "grades matter" for that is an understatement. You need to have a 3.8 or more in all honors or AP classes (plus a 1500+ SAT) to have a reasonable shot at that if you are non-diverse these days.
                                Yeh, but these folks are talking about getting into soccer "schools"

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X