Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Do you really think that referees are even looking at where the teams are from when at tournaments? No. They show up at their assigned location for the their assigned games, and collect their fee. Look, the refereeing is hit or miss across the board, and there is no "home state" bias.
    There are for league games though. Home
    Field ref advantages are common

Comment

Totally agree, the refs were awful. I’m pretty sure some of them don’t even understand soccer at all. It was surprising for such a big tournament.
      Maybe you should become a ref. Can't get refs in youth sports because parents are terrible. Do you really think a ref gives two craps about the teams playing in these games??? They are assigned a field and spend the entire day seeing 8 to 10 different teams play. Sure many bad refs, it is what it is, and there is zero way to fix it unless leagues and tournaments take a hard line against coaches and parents, or just stop them from coming to games. This is the same problem in youth basketball and baseball too and has been for years, but the past 5 or so years it has grown into a bigger problem.

Comment

I think home town refs are more likely to know people or just generally be friendly to teams from their own area. It isnt some purposeful scheme its just human nature. Especially if its say a team from NY or MA where they think those clubs are obnoxious so the glasses do get tinted a drop.

Comment

Maybe you should become a ref. Can't get refs in youth sports because parents are terrible. Do you really think a ref gives two craps about the teams playing in these games??? They are assigned a field and spend the entire day seeing 8 to 10 different teams play. Sure many bad refs, it is what it is, and there is zero way to fix it unless leagues and tournaments take a hard line against coaches and parents, or just stop them from coming to games. This is the same problem in youth basketball and baseball too and has been for years, but the past 5 or so years it has grown into a bigger problem.
          exactly...i definitely have a different view with my two oldest (15 and 14) as AR for U11/12 games. i specifically tell them to ask to be on the coach's side because parents are crazy. it also makes me think twice before admonishing a ref based on a call. refs call them as they see it...they may be right or may be wrong but it's not like a call would be taken back because parents are yelling. there is a reason why there a lot of older refs, bc they don't give a crap of what parents say and will oust them if needed. younger refs quit because the parent sideline BS. and guess what...you can't play games and tournaments if you don't have refs.

Comment

Do you really think that referees are even looking at where the teams are from when at tournaments? No. They show up at their assigned location for the their assigned games, and collect their fee. Look, the refereeing is hit or miss across the board, and there is no "home state" bias.
            Give me a break. Refs look at what game they are calling. And 95% of the bad calls do not go against one team unless there is bias. This tournament has developed a reputation for a reason.

Comment

Give me a break. Refs look at what game they are calling. And 95% of the bad calls do not go against one team unless there is bias. This tournament has developed a reputation for a reason.
              Your kid's team lost and you're blaming refs on an anonymous message board?

Comment

Totally agree, the refs were awful. I’m pretty sure some of them don’t even understand soccer at all. It was surprising for such a big tournament.
                Agree our NJ team always get a poor whistle in this tourney. Joke

Comment

Most tournament refs have NO clue who/where these clubs are even from and don't care! In most cases the games are covered by high school aged rec level players (the better players are playing in showcase events the same weekend and that is where the better refs are too) or folks that are retired looking to make a couple of extra bucks. Youth sports are looking for game cover, a body, not quality. It won't get better because it can't get better.

Comment

This is seriously the most ridiculous thread. Are you parents for real?

Comment

When will we get the espn 30 for 30 documentary on the quality of referees at the fc delco memorial day tournament for u13 girls?

Comment

This is seriously the most ridiculous thread. Are you parents for real?
                        Whining and moaning about refs hahahahaha

Comment

Whining and moaning about refs hahahahaha
                          Ha Ha. Youth soccer in US is a joke. Even the best teams in the US are pathetic. So there is a decent argument no one should care about any of this. On the other hand, if an organization has a tournament, it should have some reasonable level of competence in the refereeing. I was at the tournament and saw numerous refs so old and out of shape that they could not move more than about 20 feet during the game. Obviously, they were going to make loads of wrong calls simply because they were not in position to see anything. But I also saw a lot of home cooking - failure to call offsides against local teams when they were 10 feet offsides, failure to call a foul when the jersey was virtually ripped off the back of an out of state player, etc. etc. Incompetence is to be expected I suppose, but the level of home cooking was shocking for a kid soccer tournament.

Comment

Ha Ha. Youth soccer in US is a joke. Even the best teams in the US are pathetic. So there is a decent argument no one should care about any of this. On the other hand, if an organization has a tournament, it should have some reasonable level of competence in the refereeing. I was at the tournament and saw numerous refs so old and out of shape that they could not move more than about 20 feet during the game. Obviously, they were going to make loads of wrong calls simply because they were not in position to see anything. But I also saw a lot of home cooking - failure to call offsides against local teams when they were 10 feet offsides, failure to call a foul when the jersey was virtually ripped off the back of an out of state player, etc. etc. Incompetence is to be expected I suppose, but the level of home cooking was shocking for a kid soccer tournament.
                            Truth! We played there (team from NJ) and experienced the same poor and biased referees.

Comment

Truth! We played there (team from NJ) and experienced the same poor and biased referees.
                              Ditto, from another non-Pa team. The refs made it clear pretty early on that our team was not supposed to win. I think numerous out of state teams have learned about the bias over the years, which explains why the number of out of state teams is relatively limited for what is supposed to be a major tournament. Our team has played in many tournaments in numerous states and never seen the kind of blatant bias we experienced last weekend. Our team will definitely find a different tournament to play Memorial Day weekend next year. It was obvious that we were not welcome. (Just waiting for someone from PA to make the clever statement "don't let the door hit you on the way out" or something similarly "profound." LOL in anticipation.)

Comment

Ditto, from another non-Pa team. The refs made it clear pretty early on that our team was not supposed to win. I think numerous out of state teams have learned about the bias over the years, which explains why the number of out of state teams is relatively limited for what is supposed to be a major tournament. Our team has played in many tournaments in numerous states and never seen the kind of blatant bias we experienced last weekend. Our team will definitely find a different tournament to play Memorial Day weekend next year. It was obvious that we were not welcome. (Just waiting for someone from PA to make the clever statement "don't let the door hit you on the way out" or something similarly "profound." LOL in anticipation.)
                                My son plays for a NJ team that ditched this tournament years ago precisely because of the kind of persistent bias you are talking about. Unfortunately, that resulted in his not playing last weekend because his tournament got cancelled, but I don't think his club would ever go back to Delco again.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X