Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching clubs

Should we let coach know in advance that ds is switching clubs for next year? It feels sketchy not to tell him, but there are games after current team's tryouts, and we are worried he won't play ds once he finds out he is leaving. What do people usually do?

It depends on the temperament of your coach. A lot of coaches are vindictive and petty. You know the temperament of your kids coach but if you feel that transparency won't punish your kid, then share it.

Comment

You should always be honest. The soccer community is small. He may find out from someone else. Also, coaches move around. You never know if paths cross again. And when you leave on good a note, doors can remain open for you if you need to go back. If your D is good, he'll play her regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Should we let coach know in advance that ds is switching clubs for next year? It feels sketchy not to tell him, but there are games after current team's tryouts, and we are worried he won't play ds once he finds out he is leaving. What do people usually do?
        Did your kid already get an offer from the old club? If you are moving to a "better" league/cub, there is really very little they can or should say and most wont (going from anything to MLS Academy for boys or anything to ECNL for girls). But, IMHO, in general, you do not owe them anything so don't offer anything until the very last minute that you have to accept or reject an offer (they can make it miserable or fruitless for lame duck players if they choose to). Most will understand and who cares about the ones that don't. We switched clubs once and her former coach found out when new club's rosters were published (before we rejected old club's offer). Ooops! :)

Comment

Did your kid already get an offer from the old club? If you are moving to a "better" league/cub, there is really very little they can or should say and most wont (going from anything to MLS Academy for boys or anything to ECNL for girls). But, IMHO, in general, you do not owe them anything so don't offer anything until the very last minute that you have to accept or reject an offer (they can make it miserable or fruitless for lame duck players if they choose to). Most will understand and who cares about the ones that don't. We switched clubs once and her former coach found out when new club's rosters were published (before we rejected old club's offer). Ooops! :)
          In this situation now. Does OW still publish rosters after tryouts? I havent seen them lately, but wasnt sure if covid fracked that up.

Comment

Try to wait until your current club sends their offers out, but then tell them at that point so they can give an offer to another. The exception would be if you're pretty confident the current coach won't take it out on the kid. Some do, as disgusting as that is. Be prepared for cold shoulders from families as the season winds down.

Like another said be polite, don't burn bridges. Small state and even smaller soccer world.

Comment

We are going through this right now. Tryouts happened but got offer that was a better fit for our son. Our CFC Valley coach is vindictive. We have been keeping it a secret with three more weeks left. It all depends on your intuition. If they find out and ask, just be honest and say you are leaving.

Comment

we had this with my 2006 son a couple of years ago. Did not tell club we were leaving until the season was over. This club was cut-throat with my 2 sons, so when it came time to leave I was cut-throat with them. Don't forget this is all one giant business venture.

Comment

we had this with my 2006 son a couple of years ago. Did not tell club we were leaving until the season was over. This club was cut-throat with my 2 sons, so when it came time to leave I was cut-throat with them. Don't forget this is all one giant business venture.
                  Soccer parents are real idiots. What a bunch of toolbags

Comment

True but the individuals that run these organizations are worse.

Comment

Luckily clubs are super honest and transparent with players and families so the standards are high! It isnt as if clubs are out there actively trying to find your kids replacement without telling you they're doing it and its definitely not as if they're offering other kids spots and holding incumbent players offers back just in case they find better. Given how great clubs are to the paying customer, I feel like parents should be just as nice and transparent back.

Comment

Luckily clubs are super honest and transparent with players and families so the standards are high! It isnt as if clubs are out there actively trying to find your kids replacement without telling you they're doing it and its definitely not as if they're offering other kids spots and holding incumbent players offers back just in case they find better. Given how great clubs are to the paying customer, I feel like parents should be just as nice and transparent back.
                        Exactly

Comment

What's your beef with my statement friend?

Comment

What's your beef with my statement friend?
                            I am OD and I approve of this message

Comment

We are going through this right now. Tryouts happened but got offer that was a better fit for our son. Our CFC Valley coach is vindictive. We have been keeping it a secret with three more weeks left. It all depends on your intuition. If they find out and ask, just be honest and say you are leaving.
                              Better fit = a club that will take your money and play pretend and tell you that your is the next Messi. Just stop this nonsense. Be an adult. Have a conversation with the coach. Encourage your son to practice and train on off days. If he wants it, it will show in his work ethic and in his growth. Anything else is simply infantile behavior. What lesson are you teaching your son?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X