Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GA vs ECNL

My daughter, who is a freshman, tried out for both a GA team and ECNL team and was offered a spot on both. The GA team is close to home- less than 30 minutes, the ECNL team is 1 1/2 hours each way. Would my daughter have the same opportunities on GA team as the ECNL team in terms of showcases and ID events? In terms of high school, we were told the GA team plays 10 months out of the year, ECNL is 7 months. How do girls play both GA and high school at the same time? Please don’t comment if you don’t have anything helpful to contribute.

You should 100% go with an ECNL team. GA is in shambles and who knows what will happen over the next few years. ECNL isn't going anywhere and their college commitment rate is unbeatable. There will be politics and some unpleasantness with every club but stick with the most consistently successful club which would be either Scorpions or Stars.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      My daughter, who is a freshman, tried out for both a GA team and ECNL team and was offered a spot on both. The GA team is close to home- less than 30 minutes, the ECNL team is 1 1/2 hours each way. Would my daughter have the same opportunities on GA team as the ECNL team in terms of showcases and ID events? In terms of high school, we were told the GA team plays 10 months out of the year, ECNL is 7 months. How do girls play both GA and high school at the same time? Please don’t comment if you don’t have anything helpful to contribute.
      Also depends which GA/ECNL clubs you are talking about.

If someone were deciding between NEFC and FSA, it’s not necessarily a clear choice to pick ECNL. Stars or Scorpions vs. Seacoast or Oakwood? Much clearer choice.

If you are looking at just the MA clubs, based on the player movement currently happening at various ages and the leagues involved, Stars and Scorpions are probably a better choice vs SSS and NEFC. That said, NEFC has quality coaches and is the best GA option in New England (and probably the entire northeast.

You also need to look at where your kid fits in. Will she be player 15-20 on the ECNL team, but player 1-6 on the GA team (or vice versa)? How do the coaches of each team compare? My kid plays ECNL and I do think that the league provides the best showcase opportunities, however, that’s not more important than coaching, training and your player’s role on the team.

Comment

Please by specific as that is what really .
        Where do you live regionally? So. NH, Far North Shore of MA, or RI.
        What ECNL field is one hour beyond the GA field you could reach?

Comment

GA is 10 months for those who want to train during the fall. If you don't, then it's a 7-month program. They will try to sneak in games, but this will be trending toward a winter/spring/summer schedule similar to ECNL. But it's hard to tell at this stage since Covid caused such havoc in the fall season

Our family was in a similar position: GA club 30 minutes away, ECNL club 90 minutes away. There was no possible way to make it to a training session on time with our work schedule. I don't mind driving that far, but not at the expense of my employment.

Yes, you will have opportunities for showcases for both. ECNL has more attendance, but the question back to you is "what type of school/division/major/location is she looking at?" Chances are, coaches are going to both. Both require you to do your due diligence and be in contact with your desired schools ahead of time.

Training, from what we saw, was much better (and more often) with the GA club. Take that in isolation as we only watched and participated in a few, and in one age group, for comparison.

Apples to apples, I'd lean toward ECNL. But, at least in our case and sounds like yours, it's not a straight comparison.

Comment

Do we REALLY need to fall for this obvious fake ECNL fanboy post?

Come one sheeple, aren't there better things we could be arguing about?

Comment

Like whether GA will be in existence in two years?

Comment

Do we REALLY need to fall for this obvious fake ECNL fanboy post?

yeah, ECNL fanboys are on overload today. Must be trying to make budget for the month...

Comment

90 minutes each way is pretty brutal.

Comment

yeah, ECNL fanboys are on overload today. Must be trying to make budget for the month...
                    Ok you convinced me to sign my daughter up at select to play GA until it folds in a year. Going to select.

Comment

Driving 90 minutes to youth soccer training is nuts.

Comment

See post in 2007 thread.. Facts are hard to dispute as they are real. ECNL by a wide margin and it is not really close. The longer you wait the more difficult it will be to secure a spot.

Comment

See post in 2007 thread.. Facts are hard to dispute as they are real. ECNL by a wide margin and it is not really close. The longer you wait the more difficult it will be to secure a spot.
                          And, see the post that started this thread. It's not a straight comparison.

Give it a rest fanboy

Comment

90 minutes each way is pretty brutal.
                            Agree. 3 hours on the road gets tiring pretty fast. but if it's not an inconvenience for you, ECNL seems a better platform at the moment.

Comment

3 hours/day for practice 3x per week would get hold real fast. GA may not be perfect but I believe the level is not as far off as some think (and my kid plays ECNL). There does seem to be a trend for more of the top players to be migrating to ECNL, though and that means that level will start to widen a bit. I still think a good player in GA (and the league will still exist) will play in college if they want. Just may need to do more legwork and maybe assume some powerhouse program is not happening. I just imagine what all those hours in the car every week to commute would do to grades over time.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X