X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I would choose in this priority order

1) Which club practices closer. No sense driving all over the place unless your kid is 15 and on the verge of being a superstar. (This is next to none of our kids but we still drive and travel so I am a hypocrite on this one)
    2) Does she have friends on the team. If not that is ok since she should be making new friends. Sometimes girls teams have bad cliques that are hard to break into. If she is not breaking in after a year you will know and can leave if desired.
    3) Coach. Yes this is controversial since many say choose coach first. But in this case I say third. This poster does not seem to be hung up looking for the strongest completion but more a decently good place to play and learn. Also unless you really really know what to look for in a coach it is hard to pick the right one. Sometimes you just have to experience it before deciding to stay or leave.
    4) Commit for a year but watch the team, club, organization, dynamics, kid happiness, play time, etc. But don't say anything or try to affect any of it as a parent. If your kid is unhappy or not getting playtime then go somewhere else.
    5) If you kid really loves soccer start signing up for all the non club stuff as well. Toca, Indoor, Coerver, Waza, Futsal. These will all give your kid better individual skills. The clubs job is to play your kid in games and train a full team.

In my opinion. BUFC has some great people there. For a select club they field some strong teams that can and do play in RCL sometimes, but that is rare and only if a team is blowing out the select competition. I know a few coaches there and they are good people. I am not sure you should expect a high level of technical and tactical coaching but you will probably have a good experience if the team social dynamics are good.

Personally I would of tried to practice with both clubs before tryouts but that ship is sailed now and you have to dive in with both feet to one of them.
    Excellent feedback and thank you. Others have also shared close to home is important, and I've listened. I did worry she may have a hard time breaking in Gunner because of the personality. One question about BUFC, I was told though BUFC is a Select club and not premier club, but their Premier team can also play with other premier team/clubs. From my very basic understanding, RCL clubs seems to only play with other RCL clubs, a non-RCL premier team wouldn't even meet RCL team usually, is that right? I was told this BUFC's team will be playing President's cup next year, so does it mean this team is doing well and has been blowing out? Thanks.

Comment

I would echo some of what the last poster said in doing extra training but also that if your daughter's goal is really to be on the Gunner A team next year, you should choose the Gunner B team this year.

Going from outside the club+league to the A team on a new club in a higher/different league is impossible unless your kid is an absolute world beater and even then as a defender it's not as easy to stand out. The new club has never seen your kid play in a game and 1 tryout day or even a few pre-tryout trainings will not convince a coach to replace an A team player.

It's also not easy to go from the B team to an A team but certainly this happens much easier and at U11 for sure it happens. Especially if she's crushing on the B team, has filled in on some tournaments/games with the A team and shown well, etc.

Comment

If it was a choice between Gunners A and Bellevue, I would say Gunners A no question. Gunners B and Bellevue, go with convenience and/or where her friends play.
        Got it. We were also thinking Gunners A would be no question. Good to confirm Gunners B ~= Bellevue.

Comment

One question about BUFC, I was told though BUFC is a Select club and not premier club, but their Premier team can also play with other premier team/clubs. From my very basic understanding, RCL clubs seems to only play with other RCL clubs, a non-RCL premier team wouldn't even meet RCL team usually, is that right? I was told this BUFC's team will be playing President's cup next year, so does it mean this team is doing well and has been blowing out? Thanks.
          So it does seem you're pretty new to soccer in the PNW and it's definitely confusing!

There's a couple different leagues. RCL/PSPL/NPSL. RCL is generally considered the "highest" league. They all play the season within their leagues and will not play any teams outside the league in that setting. However during tournaments which happen several times a year teams from different leagues will play each other.

There are end of the year championship tournaments held by WYS (Washington Youth Soccer) where these teams can also mean. The highest level is "State cup" which is basically RCL teams, second level "President's Cup" and third level "Founder's Cup". If the BUFC has decided to play in President's Cup rather than Founder's cup then they are a good select team, too good to play for Founders cup.

Comment

I would echo some of what the last poster said in doing extra training but also that if your daughter's goal is really to be on the Gunner A team next year, you should choose the Gunner B team this year.

Going from outside the club+league to the A team on a new club in a higher/different league is impossible unless your kid is an absolute world beater and even then as a defender it's not as easy to stand out. The new club has never seen your kid play in a game and 1 tryout day or even a few pre-tryout trainings will not convince a coach to replace an A team player.

It's also not easy to go from the B team to an A team but certainly this happens much easier and at U11 for sure it happens. Especially if she's crushing on the B team, has filled in on some tournaments/games with the A team and shown well, etc.
            Thanks for the callout. We previously was also thinking/hoping being on Gunners B team would help with getting into A team next year. Our goal is to get into Gunner A or eastside FC, or crossfire. If she's not made for it, then she's not and np. We were debating ourselves if the extra drive distance/time spent for Gunners is going to be worth it. From what you said, I felt the older she is, the harder it's going to be for her to make into any A team in the RCL or PSPL. And can I also draw the conclusion Gunners is a higher league compared with Bellevue?

Comment

So it does seem you're pretty new to soccer in the PNW and it's definitely confusing!

There's a couple different leagues. RCL/PSPL/NPSL. RCL is generally considered the "highest" league. They all play the season within their leagues and will not play any teams outside the league in that setting. However during tournaments which happen several times a year teams from different leagues will play each other.

There are end of the year championship tournaments held by WYS (Washington Youth Soccer) where these teams can also mean. The highest level is "State cup" which is basically RCL teams, second level "President's Cup" and third level "Founder's Cup". If the BUFC has decided to play in President's Cup rather than Founder's cup then they are a good select team, too good to play for Founders cup.
              Thank you!!! You are right. I don't even know RCL/PSNL until 1 month ago. :) Then for examples Gunners will be playing State cup, Bellevue will be playing president's cup. I suppose Gunners is a higher league than Bellevue if I may say?

Comment

Thank you!!! You are right. I don't even know RCL/PSNL until 1 month ago. :) Then for examples Gunners will be playing State cup, Bellevue will be playing president's cup. I suppose Gunners is a higher league than Bellevue if I may say?
                At this age, I would not worry about league. Mileage does vary at different clubs (and coaches within the same club). Find the right fit with a coach/team that is convenient, and fosters a love of the game for your u-little. The rest will work itself out down the road.

Comment

At this age, I would not worry about league. Mileage does vary at different clubs (and coaches within the same club). Find the right fit with a coach/team that is convenient, and fosters a love of the game for your u-little. The rest will work itself out down the road.
                  Thanks. When should I worry about league then? From previous post, it's going to be super hard for outsider to be in a A team on a new club in a higher/different league. And defensive position is hard to impress during tryout, which I also think makes sense. I was leaning toward convenience/home/friends after reading initial posts, but then I was also worry next year or later it's going to be even harder for her to move up to Gunners A or eastside etc. if she is not in their league already.

Comment

Thanks for the callout. We previously was also thinking/hoping being on Gunners B team would help with getting into A team next year. Our goal is to get into Gunner A or eastside FC, or crossfire. If she's not made for it, then she's not and np. We were debating ourselves if the extra drive distance/time spent for Gunners is going to be worth it. From what you said, I felt the older she is, the harder it's going to be for her to make into any A team in the RCL or PSPL. And can I also draw the conclusion Gunners is a higher league compared with Bellevue?
                    There are two national girls soccer leagues which start at U13, ECNL and GAL. ECNL is the bigger/older league which most would consider higher than GAL which just started last year when a previous league GDA failed. Some GDA teams went to ECNL and some GDA teams joined with other teams to form GAL. Gunners plays in GAL and Eastside/Crossfire are in ECNL.

Comment

Thanks. When should I worry about league then? From previous post, it's going to be super hard for outsider to be in a A team on a new club in a higher/different league. And defensive position is hard to impress during tryout, which I also think makes sense. I was leaning toward convenience/home/friends after reading initial posts, but then I was also worry next year or later it's going to be even harder for her to move up to Gunners A or eastside etc. if she is not in their league already.
                      Kids get replaced every year on A teams. But remember to take a new kid a previous kid who may have been there for years will need to be cut. So usually coaches don't trade like for like, there needs to be an obvious upgrade. At u19 for the big ECNL clubs I'd say 50% or more of those girls have been there since U13, 30% were at some other ECNL club since U13 and maybe 20% of kids promoted from B team or came in from outside the club during those years.

So probably getting in early and holding on is the easiest route to A team in a big club. Following the best coaching/training outside the big clubs and becoming the best player you can be is another viable route, but I'd say not as easy. Either way just dropping your kid off at practice 3x a week won't work. They need to be training/practicing on their own also and hopefully this is self-motivated or the risk of burnout is high.

Comment

Lots of good advice in this thread (and without name calling and club bashing :))!

Unfortunately, at this stage, you'll have to pick a horse and ride it. I know families/kids on the GU12 Gunners teams; good coaches and a good group of girls. So, maybe give it a shot this year and see how it goes? You could always test out other clubs in the winter/spring before tryouts if it's not a good fit.

I believe the following year, this age group will play 11s, so the roster will open up a bit increasing the chances of making the A team for the 22-23 season.

Good luck!

Comment

Alright, since there are several leagues, here is how (I think) it boils down for this age group:

Gunners A - PSPL WPNL league play, PSPL Washington Cup
                          Gunners B - PSPL Classic league play, PSPL Washington Cup
                          Eastside - WYS RCL league play, WYS President's Cup OR WYS State Cup (U12+ RCL Div 1)
                          Bellevue United - WYS NPSL league play, normally WYS Founders Cup, but if you win Founders Cup you're invited to WYS President's Cup, like this particular team did.

Comment

Alright, since there are several leagues, here is how (I think) it boils down for this age group:

Gunners A - PSPL WPNL league play, PSPL Washington Cup
                            Gunners B - PSPL Classic league play, PSPL Washington Cup
                            Eastside - WYS RCL league play, WYS President's Cup OR WYS State Cup (U12+ RCL Div 1)
                            Bellevue United - WYS NPSL league play, normally WYS Founders Cup, but if you win Founders Cup you're invited to WYS President's Cup, like this particular team did.
                            Thanks and it's finally clear to me now. I confused Washington cup with State Cup and now I got the diff.

Comment

Kids get replaced every year on A teams. But remember to take a new kid a previous kid who may have been there for years will need to be cut. So usually coaches don't trade like for like, there needs to be an obvious upgrade. At u19 for the big ECNL clubs I'd say 50% or more of those girls have been there since U13, 30% were at some other ECNL club since U13 and maybe 20% of kids promoted from B team or came in from outside the club during those years.

So probably getting in early and holding on is the easiest route to A team in a big club. Following the best coaching/training outside the big clubs and becoming the best player you can be is another viable route, but I'd say not as easy. Either way just dropping your kid off at practice 3x a week won't work. They need to be training/practicing on their own also and hopefully this is self-motivated or the risk of burnout is high.
                              Great advice. Thanks. I'd say my daughter is not very self-motivated yet. She's happy every time I took her out for practicing with her friend. Without friend, it's less fun to just play with me or herself. she's already more advance than me.

Comment

Lots of good advice in this thread (and without name calling and club bashing :))!

Unfortunately, at this stage, you'll have to pick a horse and ride it. I know families/kids on the GU12 Gunners teams; good coaches and a good group of girls. So, maybe give it a shot this year and see how it goes? You could always test out other clubs in the winter/spring before tryouts if it's not a good fit.

I believe the following year, this age group will play 11s, so the roster will open up a bit increasing the chances of making the A team for the 22-23 season.

Good luck!
                                Thanks. Very good point, bigger chance to get into A team in U13.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X