Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on male high school coaches following their female players on social media

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on male high school coaches following their female players on social media

Interesting discussion on the MA board. Any creepy coaches in NH?

http://talking-soccer.com/TS4/showthread.php?t=167552

Don't name anyone on an anonymous board you dbag.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Interesting discussion on the MA board. Any creepy coaches in NH?

http://talking-soccer.com/TS4/showthread.php?t=167552
      Isn't the real issue what are these girls posting on their social media and why wouldn't they block or deny the coaches request to follow? Just spitballin that idea around...

Comment

Isn't the real issue what are these girls posting on their social media and why wouldn't they block or deny the coaches request to follow? Just spitballin that idea around...
        Ahh, this must be the coach that the OP was alluding to. Are we really blaming a 14-18 yr old kid and not the adult coach who can easily deny or ignore a social media requests?

No coach with half a brain should be texting or friending HS players. There are free, public apps for communication where ADs and administration can view all correspondence with children.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;3000935]Ahh, this must be the coach that the OP was alluding to. Are we really blaming a 14-18 yr old kid and not the adult coach who can easily deny or ignore a social media requests?

Actually - no I am a HS female athlete and if my coach tried to friend me or follow my social media I would totally block it. Yeah - I have seen some of my friends posts and they are awful and totally inappropriate!

We do use group chats and a app to communicate with our coach for things with the team.

So next time you become a keyboard warrior you might want to just shut up and stay in your lane DBAG!

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;3002786]
            Ahh, this must be the coach that the OP was alluding to. Are we really blaming a 14-18 yr old kid and not the adult coach who can easily deny or ignore a social media requests?

Actually - no I am a HS female athlete and if my coach tried to friend me or follow my social media I would totally block it. Yeah - I have seen some of my friends posts and they are awful and totally inappropriate!

We do use group chats and a app to communicate with our coach for things with the team.

So next time you become a keyboard warrior you might want to just shut up and stay in your lane DBAG!
            I think you're agreeing with the the response you quoted - lol. No need to attack buttercup

Comment

This is not just isolated to HS coaches - there are plenty of club coaches that don't follow social media but directly text and message their players. We had a club coach ask our 13 year old daughter for their # to text updates and messages. Yeah - I don't think so! We were even more surprised to hear it is the clubs director of coaching. Needless to say, we are no longer involved in that club.

Comment

Group chats only between players and coaches, never anything individual. There's plenty of apps for that so that the coach never has the player's contact info. Parents can be included on them as well, but as kids reach HS age it should be between players and coaches.

Never follow a kid <18 on social media other than your own (and they'll likely be using apps you don't even know exist anyway, clever monkeys :).

Comment

My college-aged daughter had a coach like this in high school. The texting was so frequent that she ended up blocking him. I only learned of this when she showed me her phone. From what I hear, he's still engaging in texting young players directly and following many of his underage players on social media. Fn disgusting.

Comment

A few months ago...found out my daughter's high school coach was following her on social media. Lets just say that changed very quickly. He is still following some of her teammates. Absolutely unacceptable. No coach should be following any child on social media. It crosses all boundaries and is just downright weird!

Comment

Student Athletes serious about playing beyond high school can make a social media account specific to their athletics. Coaches, recruiters, clubs, etc can follow those accounts. Athletes can post highlights and sports related media. Coaches should not be following personal accounts. Kids should also be aware that anything they put on social media doesn’t disappear so they should be thoughtful in what they post.

Comment

Wow, I figured this type of predatory behavior didn't happen in a school setting. I understand a young club coach who doesn't know better.

My daughter's school has a lengthy policy that both the coach and athletes must sign and agree to. It outlines appropriate behavior and interactions. All communication is through a free app that administration and the AD have access to and absolutely no private conversations with students. Social media interaction is also forbidden. Don't all school have this type of policy??? I can only imagine the lawsuits.

Comment

Wow, I figured this type of predatory behavior didn't happen in a school setting. I understand a young club coach who doesn't know better.

My daughter's school has a lengthy policy that both the coach and athletes must sign and agree to. It outlines appropriate behavior and interactions. All communication is through a free app that administration and the AD have access to and absolutely no private conversations with students. Social media interaction is also forbidden. Don't all school have this type of policy??? I can only imagine the lawsuits.
                          Ours is: team chats are TEAM chats with one subgroup for captains (all of them), not one individually. AD is part of the group. That's the only contact allowed until they've graduated - then they're adults, can make their own decisions and aren't the school's legal responsibility. Our club is team chats only as well, not sure about others. A coach communicating with a minor is asking for problems, so is their employer.

Comment

Would female coaches following female players be any better?

Comment

Regardless, no coach should be following or texting any minor-boy or girl. My daughters' school district has zero oversight on this issue. I have two daughters playing high school soccer. The coach texts specific girls on the team privately and he follows them on social media. It crosses boundaries and is very concerning.

There no issues whatsoever on both daughters' club teams- all communications are professional with oversight.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X