Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All for What

With all the money parents pump into travel and club soccer, what are club parents ultimate goals for their children? To make the HS team? To play in college? To get a scholarship? Realistically, how many boys players ultimately get a dime to play college soccer from RI? 3 or 4? How many make it to a Division 1 programs? 1 or 2 a year?

To be on a Wheaties box, of course. Duh...

Comment

Club soccer is so much more to our family than what you listed. We get travel, friendships all over New England, accountability, long term health for our children, setting goals, tons of family together time etc. To get out of town sports is so worth the $ spent, to help guide our children to reach higher than most, which hopefully translates into every aspect of their lives. Some parents sign their kid up for a sport, drop them off and pick them up as a substitution for a babysitter. In club, depending on where you go, the parent has to be vested as much s the child. Most importantly, it is also a great way for some dad's who would otherwise, really not have any kind of bond with their daughter outside of the obvious, him being dad, to really have something in common, that the child and adult can truly enjoy and have a lifetime of memories together. Don't worry about the $, everything else here matters so much more. Enjoy every minute of it, it will be over in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        With all the money parents pump into travel and club soccer, what are club parents ultimate goals for their children? To make the HS team? To play in college? To get a scholarship? Realistically, how many boys players ultimately get a dime to play college soccer from RI? 3 or 4? How many make it to a Division 1 programs? 1 or 2 a year?
        I don’t think parents have the big goals of D1 and pro like many think. Yes there is a few nutty parents that think their kid who peaked at 11 was the next Alex Morgan, but most of us love the game, and the friendships and bonds we make traveling. I enjoy seeing my kid gain confidence and skill in a sport she loves. Same as most parents. In club like other poster said our kids get to push themselves further. There are so many life lessons along this journey.

Comment

I don’t think parents have the big goals of D1 and pro like many think. Yes there is a few nutty parents that think their kid who peaked at 11 was the next Alex Morgan, but most of us love the game, and the friendships and bonds we make traveling. I enjoy seeing my kid gain confidence and skill in a sport she loves. Same as most parents. In club like other poster said our kids get to push themselves further. There are so many life lessons along this journey.
          True, but most players the journey ends at high school so you can do all those "non-developmental" things on a variety of levels. It's fun when your kid plays (yes wins too but ask a kid if they'd rather play at least 50% of the game or sit the bench on a winning team at the youth level..).

Best experience my kids had was the travel team of "second tier" club team (old MAPLE) and a handpicked team of mostly high school teammates from her town and the neighboring town (so friends in the spring and competitors for a couple days in the fall) -- everyone played, all were friends to some degree, coach was not the 'best' but in sync with the 2 high school coaches most of the team played for.. League was less important then the 3-4 tournaments they went to.. but all had fun, played with each other, etc.. They pushed each other but mistakes were okay (to a point) and nobody was going to sit the bench (unless it was earned by missing practices, etc..)...

Comment

Club soccer is about exercise, and some social fun. That's it.

No one. Let me repeat. NO ONE in MA or RI know football. There are no great coaches. There are no great players.

I've been to La Masia and Real Madrid many times to watch their youth programs and coaches.

The U.S. is a complete joke. Especially our parents. We are nut jobs.

Comment

No one. Let me repeat. NO ONE in MA or RI know football. There are no great coaches. There are no great players.

I've been to La Masia and Real Madrid many times to watch their youth programs and coaches.

YES!!! But we have credit cards and we know how to use them!
              My daughter's very normal and nice teammates' parents are all going crazy now that tryout season is upon us. I watch the same players they do every week and even the "top" players are not that great but every conversation is about rosters for next year and who will make the "elite" team. It's wild out there!

Comment

Our team all received offers. Tryouts are just to attract new players. You shouldn’t be stressed. Already signed the offer and no nutty behavior here.

Comment

Complete and total BS. First off, Barca and Real don't have a lock on soccer development, their first teams are full of internationals from other countries and it's not like they are winning Champions League regularly... thus their style of play and tactics are not the best at this point in global soccer (in fact, they likely peaked in terms of global soccer influence about 10 years ago). I'm a fan of both clubs, but I don't hold them on a pedestal as the owners of development and cutting edge soccer tactics.

Second, soccer is a simple game. Simple to teach, simple to play. Plenty know how to play and there are a number of good coaches. The issue here in the states is that good coaches that can develop players are tied by the Pay-to-play model here along with the competition constantly trying to recruit talent based on league affiliation and barriers to entry. Tryout time every year is crazy as clubs look to recruit new players from their competition instead of focusing on developing players internally, which takes more than a single year or season.

Comment

Complete and total BS. First off, Barca and Real don't have a lock on soccer development, their first teams are full of internationals from other countries and it's not like they are winning Champions League regularly... thus their style of play and tactics are not the best at this point in global soccer (in fact, they likely peaked in terms of global soccer influence about 10 years ago). I'm a fan of both clubs, but I don't hold them on a pedestal as the owners of development and cutting edge soccer tactics.

Second, soccer is a simple game. Simple to teach, simple to play. Plenty know how to play and there are a number of good coaches. The issue here in the states is that good coaches that can develop players are tied by the Pay-to-play model here along with the competition constantly trying to recruit talent based on league affiliation and barriers to entry. Tryout time every year is crazy as clubs look to recruit new players from their competition instead of focusing on developing players internally, which takes more than a single year or season.

YEP. This.

Comment

Agree with all this. However, here in the sates, it is hard for coaches to develop the "whole team" over more than just one season, as usually, top 2-3 move on thinking they are too good for the team, and bottom 2-3 move on because they think they deserve more game time. So this is what makes tryout time so crazy.

Comment

Agree with all this. However, here in the sates, it is hard for coaches to develop the "whole team" over more than just one season, as usually, top 2-3 move on thinking they are too good for the team, and bottom 2-3 move on because they think they deserve more game time. So this is what makes tryout time so crazy.
                        None of you have spent time at La Masia or Real Madrid youth teams. I have. You have no clue what you are talking about

Comment

None of you have spent time at La Masia or Real Madrid youth teams. I have. You have no clue what you are talking about
                          Please. You sound silly.
                          Our Surf team has has been playing Superliga Anchor (and classic). I think that demands your respect.

Comment

Please. You sound silly.
                            Our Surf team has has been playing Superliga Anchor (and classic). I think that demands your respect.
                            That’s right!!!! Give them the respect... they don’t play LaLiga. They play SuperLiga.

Comment

That’s right!!!! Give them the respect... they don’t play LaLiga. They play SuperLiga.
                              Super Liga is obviously better than LA Liga. Super > La. Argue that one

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X