Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound FC vs alternatives

Greetings to this active community. I am hoping some kind folks would weigh in on a question from a novice to this group.

Our son (B09) is based in the Edmonds/Lynnwood area and considering leaving his current club (FC Edmonds) for a team with better coaching and more committed and focused players. The alternate team we meandered to and tried out for (as I said we are new to this world of select/premier clubs) is Sound FC.

A quick look back through posts on this forum shows me that Sound FC does not seem to have the best reputation in terms of financial management and otherwise.

Would you folks stay at a small select club like FCEdmonds which has had issues with consistency & quality of coaching (at FC Edmonds they’re volunteers) and lack of commitment from other players. Or take the leap to a club who has a coach we liked very much as our first impression (Yordan) but apparently does not have the best club reputation?

It seems these are our two options as the other clubs tryouts have occurred or we’ve missed sign up deadlines.

Thank you for your time to anyone who replies to share your opinion.

Thanks!,

Generally I would say go with the coach you like but with Sound, I am not sure. Heard they had something like 13 kids try out at B09 for whole age group. Not good. All clubs have issues and problems but Sound just seems a bit hopeless at this point.

With tryouts having just ended there may be an opportunity elsewhere (Rush or Snohomish)? I might put out a few phone calls.

Comment

A lot of kids have been misplaced due to hijinks from Sound, Surf, etc… not sure i would invest in that.

Rush, Seattle United and Snohomish are your best bets. Most coaches will leave a spot or two open after tryouts for kids that may be looking to switch clubs or move to the area over the summer. Your son is going 11 aside, so rosters expanded at tryouts.

Comment

Honestly, I would stick with Sound. Yes, they have had issues in the past but their new director is trying to turn things around. Jason (the director) has a really good reputation, and I would trust him with the club. Yordon is not a super experienced coach, but he treats the kids with kindness, and helps motivate them to win.

Comment

If you like the coach I would stick it out for the year. It's just a one-year commitment.

However, if you're really unsure, Carlos Correa is the Rush B09A coach, and he is awesome. But you would have to move now, like today. I am not sure how tryouts went for 2009s or if they would automatically move him to the Nero (B) team. Both coaches returned for the 2009 age group so they probably already knew who they wanted for what team, just not sure if everyone returned or if kids moved around.

It looks like both Sound B09A and Rush B09A play in Division 2, and both of their B teams played in Div 4. So unless Rush offered an A team spot, I'd probably stay where you are.

Comment

It is never too late, even if the right team is at max capacity reaching out now will lay the foundation for the future. SU would be quite the drive, especially when the practices are in the south end of the city. Still you should at least see if he can join one or two practices.

Celtic is another option and a similar driving situation, but again try it.

Rush would probably be an easy commute, again try it.

Try all of them.

Comment

Agree. Cant hurt to call the coach at rush just to see.

Comment

My kid plays for sound on one of their 04 teams. Has had a great experience, and loves their coach. That being said, their team is one of the only good teams in the program, and wins a lot of games. They also have one of the coaches with a really good reputation. I would stick it out for a year, and if it isn't working there is always next year to switch.

Comment

Farrell is the Director and his own son does not play for Sound FC. Draw your own conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                    Farrell is the Director and his own son does not play for Sound FC. Draw your own conclusion.
                    lol if this is true, it is a strong point. But maybe there is a legit reason.

Comment

Does his kid play ECNL? Is he new to the club and already established at another club or with a team that he's been playing with for a long time?

Honestly, you could write it off as simple conflict of interest.

Comment

Jason is the anti-Seth, then

Comment

Sound is fine

Sound FC is fine. If the past is any indication, they'll have about half their practices at Meadowdale Playfields, which is probably pretty close for you. Yordan is a good coach, though he is still somewhat young but don't let that scare you. The club's finances were a mess a year ago but things were stabilized when NYSA stepped back in to run it again.

I believe Jason came over from Seattle United, so if his kid was already on a team there then I'd see no reason to move them just because he got a new job.

All that said, if you have ECNL ambitions, you can't get there with Sound. But unless your kid is an absolute stand-out I'd pick coach fit and commute over some unattainable brass ring.

Comment

While we are on sound fc, could you veteran soccer dads/moms also comment on the B10 coaches,walt and Shannon? Appreciated it!

Comment

Walt is good. Shannon is new to the club so idk

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X