Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Coaches Vs Good Trainers

I'm doing my homework because it's try out season. I have been around soccer a long time. I have not seen many coaches being good coaches and good trainers. Usually it's one or the other. Who is both-- a good coach and a good trainer?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'm doing my homework because it's try out season. I have been around soccer a long time. I have not seen many coaches being good coaches and good trainers. Usually it's one or the other. Who is both-- a good coach and a good trainer?
    "Training" is usually more about skills/techniques and often times more individualized. Coaching is more about game strategy, seeing the entire field not just one position, making a team work together. It is possible to be both.

Comment

"Training" is usually more about skills/techniques and often times more individualized. Coaching is more about game strategy, seeing the entire field not just one position, making a team work together. It is possible to be both.
      They are asking for someone that can do both. Mick Smith is good for both, although I don't like PDA's style of play.

Comment

how the hell are you doing homework when not even specifying age group or location.

other than that, so many clubs use multiple trainers for different drills and try to have single coach for scrimmaging and games. i'm not sure if you've been around good soccer, or were walking around to avoid it.

Comment

Good for you to do your homework now. Not many parents properly vette a club and their coaches/trainers. If you start with a clubs website see if they list the coaches experience both playing as well as training and the licenses they have. If they just show a name or smiling face then that is not a good sign. For ECNL, the DOC is required to have an “A” license. Coaches/trainers are supposed to have at least a “B” license. If the goal of your daughter is to play in college then find out what showcase tournaments they will be playing for the 2021-22 season. Look up the commitment/alumni lists for the club. Talk to the coaches about players they have assisted to get committed and most importantly talk to families and players that you trust about their experience with the club. All these steps are important to make your final decision off the field. On the field have your daughter attend training sessions as well as tryouts to see if it’s a good fit for her. Good luck.

Comment

how the hell are you doing homework when not even specifying age group or location.

other than that, so many clubs use multiple trainers for different drills and try to have single coach for scrimmaging and games. i'm not sure if you've been around good soccer, or were walking around to avoid it.
            He was obviously talking about MF where there is no training. Since it's just scrimmaging - so, "one person, 34 players, one big paycheck" - every MF coach has that tattooed.

Comment

Good for you to do your homework now. Not many parents properly vette a club and their coaches/trainers. If you start with a clubs website see if they list the coaches experience both playing as well as training and the licenses they have. If they just show a name or smiling face then that is not a good sign. For ECNL, the DOC is required to have an “A” license. Coaches/trainers are supposed to have at least a “B” license. If the goal of your daughter is to play in college then find out what showcase tournaments they will be playing for the 2021-22 season. Look up the commitment/alumni lists for the club. Talk to the coaches about players they have assisted to get committed and most importantly talk to families and players that you trust about their experience with the club. All these steps are important to make your final decision off the field. On the field have your daughter attend training sessions as well as tryouts to see if it’s a good fit for her. Good luck.
              The only ECNL license that is required is in accounting and roster maximization.

Sorry I cant't find a more definitive link, but I believe it to be accurate.

https://www.dcurbanmom.com/jforum/po...st/856972.page

Comment

He was obviously talking about MF where there is no training. Since it's just scrimmaging - so, "one person, 34 players, one big paycheck" - every MF coach has that tattooed.
                What club do your get amazing training at?

Comment

This is the type of question that this forum should be about. Sadly it turns into this dumb club vs that and so on.
                  In terms of the question I haven’t seen many that are good at both. The Mick Smith is interesting but thats one guy at the highest level. I feel it’s easier to get a good coach then trainer.

Comment

This is the type of question that this forum should be about. Sadly it turns into this dumb club vs that and so on.
                    In terms of the question I haven’t seen many that are good at both. The Mick Smith is interesting but thats one guy at the highest level. I feel it’s easier to get a good coach then trainer.
                    That is the very issue. Many coaches are mediocre coaches. They are even worse trainers. It is probably because they don't care about development.

Comment

I'm looking for 06 boy and a 06 girl. I live in a central location... easy to get to many academies.
                      I have been doing homework, watching many games and training sessions. From what I can tell .. most coaches do not posses both qualities. PDA north girls at least all have some technical skills and a good understanding of the game and they work hard. (even the players that come off the bench). Penn fusion and matchfit are very similar. In my opinion, PDA South is a lower level. The players that play the whole game aren't good...their skills are very weak . The Subs were not much better. I'm trying to get both in the same academy. But I dont think that will happen.

Comment

I'm looking for 06 boy and a 06 girl. I live in a central location... easy to get to many academies.
                        I have been doing homework, watching many games and training sessions. From what I can tell .. most coaches do not posses both qualities. PDA north girls at least all have some technical skills and a good understanding of the game and they work hard. (even the players that come off the bench). Penn fusion and matchfit are very similar. In my opinion, PDA South is a lower level. The players that play the whole game aren't good...their skills are very weak . The Subs were not much better. I'm trying to get both in the same academy. But I dont think that will happen.
                        You seem to be looking at the correct things. However, just understand that a lot of that talent came from other teams, especially at 06 age group. Unfortunately, you will likely have to get your kids to play with the best group that you can get them with and find supplemental training that works for you.

Comment

They are asking for someone that can do both. Mick Smith is good for both, although I don't like PDA's style of play.
                          Pointless to name names really since most posters can't seek to specific people due to age, gender, location etc.

It's rare to do both well, but at least training can be supplimented with outside work (with a trainer or on your own). Coaching, which involves more team work and game time, is harder to do on one's own or small group settings.

Face it, there's no perfect situation out there really. Pick the best out of a realistic set of options then try to fill in the gaps if you can.

Comment

With only 2 practices a week, I would go with the good trainer at the younger ages and the good coach at the older ages. Develop skills and fitness as a foundation at the younger ages and the add strategy and tactics as players are older and can understand it better.

Comment

Find a team that has a good coach , good trainers are easier to find . You can always find a good trainer who is willing to work with your kid .

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X