Sounders for Boys? What am I missing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im not sure how we got on the topic of XF and how many scholarships... Weird.

I suppose its interesting but isn't that a totally different conversation?

Someone should be making the case for how many scholarships are given to Sounders Academy kids. Thats the question... Cross fire really doesn't have anything to do with this convo.

I brought them up before because I was thinking that the quality of soccer at sounders may not be that great/different, because in Academy days Cross fire would routinely win.

But I am not asking about cross fire scholarships, but I am curious about how many kids get scholarships from Sounders in the 2021 graduating class. That would be very helpful!

I might be done on this thread, and appreciate the advice.

I think I've landed on the conclusions below, but haven't had a lot of response on it:
    1. If your kid is really really good and can play pro, they shouldn't be locked into a contract as a youth player. If they are locked into an agreement (which is true with all academy players around the world, the club owns their rights). If the kid is really special, then having someone own your rights early might be a mistake.

2. For the other 99.9% of players and the delusional (metoo) parents out there, there seems to be a very high risk of going to sounders. Getting cut, getting back onto a new team, no high school sports or any other secondary sports, no team aspect that other clubs get with travel, families, traditions.

3. And I think the risk of 2 might be worth doing if the net/net soccer was absolutely better. But I don't think they have produced better players, or teams for that matter. I found these results and they weren't dominant.

http://www.ussoccerda.com/sam/standi...0#filter-table

and oddly they had almost the exact same record as cross fire in playoffs finishing 11th vs xf 13th in the US
    http://www.ussoccerda.com/sam/standi...d=MTI1Ng%3D%3D

So it seems like you give up a LOT, Risk a lot... and end up with a pretty similar player/team if everything goes well. And if the kid gets cut from sounders... they would've been better off staying at their club (EFC, Pac, XF, SU, etc.)

Right?

The way some of the comments read, you would expect that sounders would just kill everyone and much better soccer. But i just don't see it.

Last thing to add... i don't get this idea that many people have shared... "just do it!" We arent talking about buying some bike shoes, these are kids lives and the repercussions are big enough to at least thoughtfully consider the cost/benefit or risk/reward of making a decision like this. Its surprising that people that are interested enough to read posts and respond, still refuse to question whether what the sounders say is the best, is actually the best. its weird, but to each their own.

Thanks for the input... ill check back if anyone has anymore comments to add!
    Last edited by SoccerDadSeattle; 05-12-2021, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Dude, nobody is agreeing with you... or disagreeing for that matter. It really depends on what is right for your son in particular.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        I was referring to Sounders Academy, where kids have gone on to Cornell, Notre Dame, U of Maryland, UC Davis, Duke, Georgetown and more, but XF is by far the most successful at college placement of the other clubs. Being selected for ANY college roster is a huge accomplishment
        We aren't talking about where kids have gone the last 5-6 years, the XF list is similar. We are talking about the opportunities for kids now joining the current Sounders with no U-19 program.

Comment

We aren't talking about where kids have gone the last 5-6 years, the XF list is similar. We are talking about the opportunities for kids now joining the current Sounders with no U-19 program.
          Ok, but this is the first year without U19, so the only info available is from past years. Most of the schools I mentioned werefor the 2019 and 2020 Sounders kids. I have no idea about 5-6 years ago

Comment

Originally posted by SoccerDadSeattle View Post
            Im not sure how we got on the topic of XF and how many scholarships... Weird.

I suppose its interesting but isn't that a totally different conversation?

Someone should be making the case for how many scholarships are given to Sounders Academy kids. Thats the question... Cross fire really doesn't have anything to do with this convo.

I brought them up before because I was thinking that the quality of soccer at sounders may not be that great/different, because in Academy days Cross fire would routinely win.

But I am not asking about cross fire scholarships, but I am curious about how many kids get scholarships from Sounders in the 2021 graduating class. That would be very helpful!

I might be done on this thread, and appreciate the advice.

I think I've landed on the conclusions below, but haven't had a lot of response on it:
            1. If your kid is really really good and can play pro, they shouldn't be locked into a contract as a youth player. If they are locked into an agreement (which is true with all academy players around the world, the club owns their rights). If the kid is really special, then having someone own your rights early might be a mistake.

2. For the other 99.9% of players and the delusional (metoo) parents out there, there seems to be a very high risk of going to sounders. Getting cut, getting back onto a new team, no high school sports or any other secondary sports, no team aspect that other clubs get with travel, families, traditions.

3. And I think the risk of 2 might be worth doing if the net/net soccer was absolutely better. But I don't think they have produced better players, or teams for that matter. I found these results and they weren't dominant.

http://www.ussoccerda.com/sam/standi...0#filter-table

and oddly they had almost the exact same record as cross fire in playoffs finishing 11th vs xf 13th in the US
            http://www.ussoccerda.com/sam/standi...d=MTI1Ng%3D%3D

So it seems like you give up a LOT, Risk a lot... and end up with a pretty similar player/team if everything goes well. And if the kid gets cut from sounders... they would've been better off staying at their club (EFC, Pac, XF, SU, etc.)

Right?

The way some of the comments read, you would expect that sounders would just kill everyone and much better soccer. But i just don't see it.

Last thing to add... i don't get this idea that many people have shared... "just do it!" We arent talking about buying some bike shoes, these are kids lives and the repercussions are big enough to at least thoughtfully consider the cost/benefit or risk/reward of making a decision like this. Its surprising that people that are interested enough to read posts and respond, still refuse to question whether what the sounders say is the best, is actually the best. its weird, but to each their own.

Thanks for the input... ill check back if anyone has anymore comments to add!
            You listened to no one. No one agreed with your perspective, you came on here to push your personal agenda.

Good for you.

Comment

Ok, but this is the first year without U19, so the only info available is from past years. Most of the schools I mentioned werefor the 2019 and 2020 Sounders kids. I have no idea about 5-6 years ago
              Most of the kids you are talking to came to Sounders for their Senior year. Hard to take a ton of credit for them. We will have to agree to disagree on it.

Comment

Most of the kids you are talking to came to Sounders for their Senior year. Hard to take a ton of credit for them. We will have to agree to disagree on it.
                That is not correct. There were some boys who joined senior year and others who joined earlier. My son was there for several years - I know the history and I know the kids. My son attends one of those schools. If you are the OP and you think a Sounders opportunity for your kid is not a good fit for him, that's your business. Other parents think so highly of the program that they send their boys here from locations all over the country to live with host families just so they can participate, and locals complain that there aren't more Seattle kids involved. It's an excellent program, but not a fit for everyone. I hope your son didn't miss the XF tryouts, since the tryout dates for your son's age group (same as Sounders discovery program age) already passed.

Comment

That is not correct. There were some boys who joined senior year and others who joined earlier. My son was there for several years - I know the history and I know the kids. My son attends one of those schools. If you are the OP and you think a Sounders opportunity for your kid is not a good fit for him, that's your business. Other parents think so highly of the program that they send their boys here from locations all over the country to live with host families just so they can participate, and locals complain that there aren't more Seattle kids involved. It's an excellent program, but not a fit for everyone. I hope your son didn't miss the XF tryouts, since the tryout dates for your son's age group (same as Sounders discovery program age) already passed.
                  Not the OP and I also know the kids and the program. It used to be a great college pathway, without U-19...

Comment

xf have their graduating class and the colleges they are attending on their webpage. it doesn't look particularly impressive.
                    Is XF placement still the best compared to other clubs? I am guessing yes.

Either way it seems like clubs are not producing high level players on a massive level. Maybe that can change someday.

Comment

Is XF placement still the best compared to other clubs? I am guessing yes.

Either way it seems like clubs are not producing high level players on a massive level. Maybe that can change someday.
                      Depends on what you mean by high level. Outside of the the US I would say barely any. Inside the US probably not that bad. Also do you count high level as publicly famous, bench player, on roster not playing, etc.

As a simple sample of our local team:

https://www.soundersfc.com/players

26 players on the roster. 14 are from the US. 6 that list Washington hometowns.

Washington players note the following as their youth clubs. I did not see where the sounders academy two played before that.

Richey crossfire
                      Rowe Crossfire
                      Morris Eastside
                      Dobbelaere Seattle United
                      Baker-Whiting and Atencio Sounders Academy

Now they did not only play at those clubs so the clubs can't claim all the credit but it does show a local presence from Washington on a high level MLS team.

Honestly that is not bad in my view. I didn't expect to see more than Morris when I looked that up.

So without exhaustive research I would tend to agree with you that local clubs are not producing players on a "massive level" as you say. But they are producing some.

Comment

Dude, nobody is agreeing with you... or disagreeing for that matter. It really depends on what is right for your son in particular.
                        uh. ok.

Comment

Depends on what you mean by high level. Outside of the the US I would say barely any. Inside the US probably not that bad. Also do you count high level as publicly famous, bench player, on roster not playing, etc.

As a simple sample of our local team:

https://www.soundersfc.com/players

26 players on the roster. 14 are from the US. 6 that list Washington hometowns.

Washington players note the following as their youth clubs. I did not see where the sounders academy two played before that.

Richey crossfire
                          Rowe Crossfire
                          Morris Eastside
                          Dobbelaere Seattle United
                          Baker-Whiting and Atencio Sounders Academy

Now they did not only play at those clubs so the clubs can't claim all the credit but it does show a local presence from Washington on a high level MLS team.

Honestly that is not bad in my view. I didn't expect to see more than Morris when I looked that up.

So without exhaustive research I would tend to agree with you that local clubs are not producing players on a "massive level" as you say. But they are producing some.
                          There's another XF kid that just signed with Minnesota - there's a photo of it on their scroll.. along with Hassani Dotson.

Comment

You listened to no one. No one agreed with your perspective, you came on here to push your personal agenda.

Good for you.
                            Henry, thanks again for responding.

Look, I had an opinion, based on the information I had found. The point of this post was to say "what am I missing" or "change my mind". I didn't come here with a blank slate. I came into the post with an opinion that this program seems way over rated for all of the reasons listed above... but maybe I am missing something. Maybe I don't get it. Maybe there is something I am missing.

The responses have been great in some ways, and useless in others.

I haven't had any one "change my mind" or "tell me what I am missing" that would compel me to change my mind. I went in thinking its a bad idea, and Im "leaving" thinking its a bad idea because no one has really compelled me with what they have shared.

If you have a compelling reason, share it. But don't blame me for not being swayed by all of the negatives, a few neutrals and a few faux positives (great training).

Comment

I agree with you. And I think that is part of the conversation. Everyone is enamored with being on the team, but Im not sure they ask why. Like I am trying to do. :) You bring up some good points, and I appreciate your feedback! Clearly, if things go well this is a good program. I don't think its bad. That would be stupid. Im mostly trying to weigh the pros/cons and I think the cons are really important to think about. And ultimately, as you say... its up to the family to decide what is best for their son. Im good with that.

But thank you, seriously for responding. Its good to hear you guys have had a good experience! that is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by SoccerDadSeattle View Post
                                Henry, thanks again for responding.

Look, I had an opinion, based on the information I had found. The point of this post was to say "what am I missing" or "change my mind". I didn't come here with a blank slate. I came into the post with an opinion that this program seems way over rated for all of the reasons listed above... but maybe I am missing something. Maybe I don't get it. Maybe there is something I am missing.

The responses have been great in some ways, and useless in others.

I haven't had any one "change my mind" or "tell me what I am missing" that would compel me to change my mind. I went in thinking its a bad idea, and Im "leaving" thinking its a bad idea because no one has really compelled me with what they have shared.

If you have a compelling reason, share it. But don't blame me for not being swayed by all of the negatives, a few neutrals and a few faux positives (great training).
                                No one agreed with you and offered other opinions. You just decided everyone else was wrong and you were right.

Thanks for your opinion

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X