Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major drop in playing time

Kid has had a major drop in playing time last few weeks. Started some games in fall and is now riding the bench. Before if player didn’t start the kid would get in and often play a lot. Should player approach coach? Doesn’t seem to clearly know why. Likes the team but if player makes it next year doesn’t want to stay to just pay the bills. Wants to play. Confidence in the toilet. What age is too old for parent to ask?

Any age the player should ask the coach what they can work on to improve. It may be coach is trying out a new system and package of players that best fit it. Depending on the age the level of fitness will become a major determiner. A great player who can only play great for 10 to 15 minutes before starting to wane. Perhaps other players are running harder off the ball then your kid and it’s starting to be noticed. Even a striker without the ball needs to run hard on the high press - Their job is more than just scoring goals.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Kid has had a major drop in playing time last few weeks. Started some games in fall and is now riding the bench. Before if player didn’t start the kid would get in and often play a lot. Should player approach coach? Doesn’t seem to clearly know why. Likes the team but if player makes it next year doesn’t want to stay to just pay the bills. Wants to play. Confidence in the toilet. What age is too old for parent to ask?

below HS the parent should talk to the coach- be respectful and LISTEN- dont argue
      if you dont like the answers, then make decisions
      HS age the player needs to advocate for themselves first- again-be respectful and LISTEN
      only time a parent should get involved for HS age kids is if it is an unhealthy situation that involves the wellbeing of your child apart from the actual sport

hear the coaches reasons ,and his remedy for the situation- if you are still not satisfied then weigh your options
      as far as footing the bill- your kid knows nothing about that- thats YOU !!!!

before any of this- do you have a realistic view of your kids abilities V the make-up of the team ( rose colored glasses are not helpful in these situations)
      good luck

Comment

i know your kid. they suck, try lacrosse, that's where all the kids end up who can't play soccer

Comment

i know your kid. they suck, try lacrosse, that's where all the kids end up who can't play soccer
          All thoughtful answers until this $@#hole came along. But we all knew sooner or later one would show up. Didn't we?

Comment

All thoughtful answers until this $@#hole came along. But we all knew sooner or later one would show up. Didn't we?
            maybe you are in denial but really i do know your kid

Comment

Look inward, before you look outward

What are their practice habits? I have a great player in my house and his time was diminished over a season and it turns out he was goofing off in practice and wasn't doing the work at home. It made sense to us after talking with coach. Alot of sense.

Go watch a practice and watch your kid practicing.

Comment

What are their practice habits? I have a great player in my house and his time was diminished over a season and it turns out he was goofing off in practice and wasn't doing the work at home. It made sense to us after talking with coach. Alot of sense.

classic case of the blind leading the blind

Comment

did you find any weed in his room?

Comment

the naked poster of Beckham should have been a sign

Comment

People are never too old to advocate for themselves. Tell your kid to talk to the coach and ask 1) what am I doing wrong to get less PT? 2.) What do I need to do to get it back? Kill #2 in practices and games and just overall recommit and work hard. Kids get into a boring routine too and sometimes just need to refocus. Bottom line is address it quickly. Coaches don't realize they are taking away confidence but will be happy to keep accepting checks ..... If your kid steps up noticeably and doesn't earn it back, take the new attitude and find a more receptive coach/team and keep that confidence going if they can find it again (not an easy thing to do). By no means am I saying to back your kid at all costs and that they don't have responsibility here, but they have to want it and earn it back. If they commit and do it, back them 100% and make sure it was all worth it. You better hurry though, it's tryout season. Go workout with other teams as well, this week to see how your kid handles that and does against fresh meat .... Perhaps they just need a change of scenery (but, be forewarned, this is not for all kids). Good luck!

Comment

People are never too old to advocate for themselves. Tell your kid to talk to the coach and ask 1) what am I doing wrong to get less PT? 2.) What do I need to do to get it back? Kill #2 in practices and games and just overall recommit and work hard. Kids get into a boring routine too and sometimes just need to refocus. Bottom line is address it quickly. Coaches don't realize they are taking away confidence but will be happy to keep accepting checks ..... If your kid steps up noticeably and doesn't earn it back, take the new attitude and find a more receptive coach/team and keep that confidence going if they can find it again (not an easy thing to do). By no means am I saying to back your kid at all costs and that they don't have responsibility here, but they have to want it and earn it back. If they commit and do it, back them 100% and make sure it was all worth it. You better hurry though, it's tryout season. Go workout with other teams as well, this week to see how your kid handles that and does against fresh meat .... Perhaps they just need a change of scenery (but, be forewarned, this is not for all kids). Good luck!
                        PS - this happened to my middle kid and getting his confidence back was not easy but a change of place eventually did do wonders .... Staying where he was another year and I bet he wouldn't be playing anymore. Funny thing for him was that he listened to exactly what the coach told the team. Stay wide, play simple, possession, Barcelona (he often cited those things)..... The problem was that the coach loved the kids dribbling up the middle all day into traffic and giving the ball away .... Never warned or pulled those guys but somehow found a way to make the disciplined kids that found space scape goats for "not being in the play" or "running away" (as if it was their fault that the kids in the middle with their heads down never passed the ball) .... But when not running away or in the play, they were in the way as was the defender they brought with them ..... Couldn't win. Listen to what the coach says and take it with a grain of salt .... Often doesn't make sense when it comes to game day and that shows in the teams play. Coach will do what they want for the players they have put stock in and everyone else is just a necessary evil to make the team financially viable.

Comment

or just wake up to realty and have them apply at Taco bell, they are playing good now

Comment

or just wake up to realty and have them apply at Taco bell, they are playing good now
                            here is the other thing you should know .... Every kid TS is mommy and daddys ticket to the professional ranks and is getting a full ride from a P5 school (or will be soon). If you have seen enough soccer in this state you should know that this site is piled higher and deeper than anywhere else ..... Everyone's kid is an all star even though most of the kids at every level can't use their weak foot or trap a ball reliably. Don't listen to these ow hards .... Would be so great if we could actually put kids to their parents posts and sort out all of the BS. Even kids that finger D1 money will often make you scratch your head as to what the coach was thinking .... But it happens .... A lot. Axing that a place like FSA can send so many kids to D1 every year and they play the way they do.

Comment

this must be an ow mom. pretty typical with the entitlement there. maybe if your kid put in an effort in training and games she'd get on the field more. ask yourself this question is she there for the social aspect of the game? the sleep overs, get togethers or is she there to work not only at training but what she needs to do off the field to get better. maybe take the time to actually watch your daughter train.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X