GA vs ECNL

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just looking at the roots of the platform it’s easy to figure out the motivation.

ECNL - let’s get kids ready for college ball
    GDA/GAL - let’s get kids ready for national team/NWSL

Right now, the prize is still “college” and athleticism still rules over skill. It’a also probably easier to transition from skill to athleticism for certain positions.

In general if you stick to skill training as prescribed by US Soccer, the difference is substantial. For example starting at U10, through U17 (and not including high school) a kid would get 740 more hours of training (3+ Seasons by U17). If you also consider that scrimmages are not real training - the number may be higher.

On the flip side, ECNL players probably get 300 more hours of fitness if/when they sign up for extra training sessions in or out of the club. Most of the top ECNL players also probably attend extra training outside of the club just in order to stay competitive.

This is very theoretical, I don’t know if the ECNL clubs outside of the tri-state area actually do 3 training sessions a week. It’s based on the evidence from MF and PDA.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      My D and I are very impressed with the GA product. I know there is a lot of noise about how ECNL is the only way to go, but I have never agreed with that approach. GA has a lot of potential and when you see players coming from ECNL clubs to play at GA clubs... that should tell you something. Parents that are focused on winning will usually stick with an ECNL club until either 1) they realize that they are a very tiny fish in a vast pond or 2) there is way more to a player than if they are on a winning team. Kick and run soccer gets wins, it doesn’t actually mean the player is technically sound, has a solid skill set, maintains possession under pressure and makes good decisions etc. A coach that spends a decent amount of minutes developing these attributes in their players is the coach I want my D to be with. For right now, that is at a GA club.
      LOL. Say hi to Kelly GAL Dad

Comment

Just looking at the roots of the platform it’s easy to figure out the motivation.

Right now, the prize is still “college” and athleticism still rules over skill. It’a also probably easier to transition from skill to athleticism for certain positions.

In general if you stick to skill training as prescribed by US Soccer, the difference is substantial. For example starting at U10, through U17 (and not including high school) a kid would get 740 more hours of training (3+ Seasons by U17). If you also consider that scrimmages are not real training - the number may be higher.

On the flip side, ECNL players probably get 300 more hours of fitness if/when they sign up for extra training sessions in or out of the club. Most of the top ECNL players also probably attend extra training outside of the club just in order to stay competitive.

This is very theoretical, I don’t know if the ECNL clubs outside of the tri-state area actually do 3 training sessions a week. It’s based on the evidence from MF and PDA.
        well, GAL doesn't start at U10, so there's that. Also, many GAL and MLS+ teams don't practice 4/week either, even before GDA/BDA blew up. I'd suspect most ECNL clubs are doing 3/week because 1) parents expect it at that level 2) Doing less will eventually bite you in the behind. Poor results also eventually lead to a drop in player numbers.

Comment

LOL. Say hi to Kelly GAL Dad
          Huh? Who the heck is Kelly??? Did I miss something?

Comment

And since DA started how has the YNT been going? Before DA the U20 Women had 3 1st a 3rd and 4th over the first 6 World Cups. Since they have 1 4th in 3 appearances. The U17 team had a single 4th and are doing worse since.

A lot of the players that stuck to "skill training" are amazing inside of a 10ft box. On the field is another story. SJEB is one of the best examples of this. At the younger ages their foot skills and passing is excellent but as they grow older the better players leave for PDA and PF and what is left still does the same skills and don't look as competitive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...20_soccer_team

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...17_soccer_team

Comment

My D and I are very impressed with the GA product. I know there is a lot of noise about how ECNL is the only way to go, but I have never agreed with that approach. GA has a lot of potential and when you see players coming from ECNL clubs to play at GA clubs... that should tell you something. Parents that are focused on winning will usually stick with an ECNL club until either 1) they realize that they are a very tiny fish in a vast pond or 2) there is way more to a player than if they are on a winning team. Kick and run soccer gets wins, it doesn’t actually mean the player is technically sound, has a solid skill set, maintains possession under pressure and makes good decisions etc. A coach that spends a decent amount of minutes developing these attributes in their players is the coach I want my D to be with. For right now, that is at a GA club.
              The only kids I see leaving ECNL teams to GA ones are the ones that either A.) Leave for winning GA teams thinking wins = success or B.) Ones benched or sent to RL. Leaving a middle of the pack or even losing ECNL team to play on a GA team that may be headed for GA Nationals is crazy. Unless you really think your team is better then some of these other conferences which are stacked with competitive teams. I don't think any NE or MA conference teams have been that high ranked or did that well at any of the showcases to even play some of these teams. Good luck with reality when you get smacked in the face with it at the end of June.

Comment

Huh? Who the heck is Kelly??? Did I miss something?
                Sims @ STA?

Comment

And since DA started how has the YNT been going? Before DA the U20 Women had 3 1st a 3rd and 4th over the first 6 World Cups. Since they have 1 4th in 3 appearances. The U17 team had a single 4th and are doing worse since.

A lot of the players that stuck to "skill training" are amazing inside of a 10ft box. On the field is another story. SJEB is one of the best examples of this. At the younger ages their foot skills and passing is excellent but as they grow older the better players leave for PDA and PF and what is left still does the same skills and don't look as competitive.

The rest of the world is catching up because they develop every facet of the game.

Comment

Listen, when you play in the best league for girls in the country the difference is felt immediately. Pro like training accompanied by tremendous results on and off the pitch. That’s why I don’t get all these GA clubs jumping ship to a secondary league with no set training and development standards like ECNL. Makes no sense. In quick order the GA has taken over and established itself as the top level platform. Good riddance to the clubs that do not want the high level competition.
                    Perhaps PDA wakes up one day and says hey I want to join “the best platform for girls in the country”. Why would they want to play Barca and Man City in tournaments when they can play powerhouses like LISC, Metro United, CSA and Baltimore Armour? Do you think their application is in for GA?

Comment

Perhaps PDA wakes up one day and says hey I want to join “the best platform for girls in the country”. Why would they want to play Barca and Man City in tournaments when they can play powerhouses like LISC, Metro United, CSA and Baltimore Armour? Do you think their application is in for GA?
                      PDA will be picking up the scraps once GA gets going. CSA and STA are going to eat PDA's lunch. PDA keeps ducking but they can't hide forever.

Comment

The only kids I see leaving ECNL teams to GA ones are the ones that either A.) Leave for winning GA teams thinking wins = success or B.) Ones benched or sent to RL. Leaving a middle of the pack or even losing ECNL team to play on a GA team that may be headed for GA Nationals is crazy. Unless you really think your team is better then some of these other conferences which are stacked with competitive teams. I don't think any NE or MA conference teams have been that high ranked or did that well at any of the showcases to even play some of these teams. Good luck with reality when you get smacked in the face with it at the end of June.
                        Excellent point - top ECNL players are definitely not leaving for GAL. Of the few moving to GAL it's nearly all middle to bottom of the roster players, likely looking for more PT (nothing wrong with that but it's easy to get more PT in a B league if you're not a top A league player). Meanwhile, many top GAL players are moving (or trying to move) into ECNL.

Comment

No one should be surprised by this. The men's team used to qualify for international events, yet after having BDA for 12 years they no longer do. And international players are taking more US college and MLS roster spots. Job well done USSF!

Comment

Excellent point - top ECNL players are definitely not leaving for GAL. Of the few moving to GAL it's nearly all middle to bottom of the roster players, likely looking for more PT (nothing wrong with that but it's easy to get more PT in a B league if you're not a top A league player). Meanwhile, many top GAL players are moving (or trying to move) into ECNL.
                            PDA Blue player moved to STA GA. She's playing for UNC next year and was on the U19 National Team calls this year. Check your sources.

Comment

CSA tried to play PDA Blue several times snd they keep ducking. Playing up, pulling out of tourneys etc. the Penn Fusion tourney just a recent example.

Comment

CSA tried to play PDA Blue several times snd they keep ducking. Playing up, pulling out of tourneys etc. the Penn Fusion tourney just a recent example.
                                PDA is always ducking CSA. They don't want to awaken the sleeping giant.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X